Author Topic: Uncharted territory: only wheels are a Guzzi  (Read 7091 times)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Uncharted territory: only wheels are a Guzzi
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »
So for the first time in my (driving)life, I'm with out a car for a few weeks. Hydroplaned my Mazda into a ditch during a torrential downpour. 90 degree s curve at the bottom of a hill middle of the night, sleepy driver. low speed, so I'm optimistic as to the seriousness of the damage.
First accident of any sort in 25 years, and in that event I wasn't at fault. Pride taste like sh*t, FYI.

But this means that until the shop wraps things up, my sole form of powered transport is a 16 year old Guzzi. My commute actually, isn't nearly long enough, and I've got a good set of Ortlieb Moto's for groceries and such (those things are great btw, never did a report but man, dry as a bone, add GREAT visibility to the bike at night) . Gonna use a coworkers car on a lunch hour to run a 40lb bag of Dog food home one day next week. I've got a rain suit in the Moto's just in case. I'm committed. The dog's pretty pissed off. He's use to coming to work with me most days, and in general is my co-pilot whenever the cage is employed. I'd ride more, in general, if not for that dog. He's the only one I have to worry about keeping happy these days, and I probably take it more seriously than many would.

To review, I learned how to ride a two wheel machine in Azusa canyon (SoCal) in the 80's. Had buddies who were competitive Dirt bikers, and benefited from their generosity (and the need to have friends along to heave busted bikes into their lifted Toyotas at the end of the day).

But I never owned a motorcycle til 2 years ago (pushing 48 at the time) when I was unbelievably fortunate enough to buy a clean Jackal off of the good buddy of my bike mechanic cousin, who was my search committee for the process. The owner of the bike turned out to be John Gregory (of Norton racing fame, also worked for Guzzi for 15 years) . Kind of puts your mind at ease, buying a used bike off of such a notable bike wrencher.

All of that to say...it's still a leap of faith to rely solely on a bike. I've had a few nuts and bolts take leave, although mechanically, overall, it's been faultless. Plan to check my linkages regularly, loctite a few key things. All in all though, I'm oddly excited at the prospect.

Just thought I'd share.  When's the last time any of you went completely cage-less?
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Uncharted territory: only wheels are a Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:28:38 AM »
It's been a long time, but in the late '70s the only land motor vehicle I owned was my 1972 Kawasaki H2.  I used it to commute daily to the University of MD for a few years.  Like you, in a real pinch, I could borrow a car.  It's nothing to be concerned about, enjoy the adventure.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:39 AM »
Glad you are OK! Last time I was Cageless was 2 winters ago, when a cold night killed all my batteries (2 cars and a van). Solved by calling in sick that day, so it was technically only for one day.

Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere where I wouldn't need a car. However, cases where pet food and other bulky items I usually pickup on my way home from work would be a problem. The Vespa floor boards are actually very handy for that stuff.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »
I used my California for daily commuting year round for about two years back in the early 2000's.  Got a little dicey when snow cropped up before I had to leave work and only had to bum rides a couple of times.  I regularly strapped 40lb bags of dog food on the seat.  Helped to have my HB bags installed to provide support, but it was doable even without.  Good luck and have fun!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
  I regularly strapped 40lb bags of dog food on the seat.  Helped to have my HB bags installed to provide support, but it was doable even without. 

Yep, wanted to do that, as taking the loaner feels like cheating! But my panniers are soft bags, and I envision the paper bag bursting a seam once all the food is settled to the extreme ends because its draped on the back. Good dog food ain't cheap! (guzzi content)
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »
When Dorcia and I were married, my only transportation was my Duck. You won't have a problem in the Spring /Summer/Fall.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
When Dorcia and I were married, my only transportation was my Duck. You won't have a problem in the Spring /Summer/Fall.

And I've got you up the road should the sh*t hit the fan. so....

You probably know the corner I launched from, Chuck. The tow driver and Boone Co. Sheriff said I was the fourth car dragged out of there this month, and the only one to drive away.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Red Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Not owned a cage in about 4 years now.

Cold or wet weather I ride a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour: Full fairing including lowers for the legs, heated grips, heated seat.  Wearing thermals & leathers I ride in low to mid 20's altho we only get a few weeks of that kind of cold here in FL.  Has large saddle bags & trunk for "stuff".

Now that the weather is warm I usually ride the Mille GT.  Much prefer the Mille or the Jackal but I also like being comfortable.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
  He's the only one I have to worry about keeping happy these days, and I probably take it more seriously than many would.

just what your dog was thinking!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:18:42 PM »
just what your dog was thinking!

you, sir, totally get it.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Darell

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
Early 1980s, for about 18 months, with just a Guzzi V-50, throw-over soft bags, no windshield.  Takes some creativity, but probably better off for the experience.  Fortunately, in the south the weather isn't terribly cold.  My cold weather riding suit was a pair of "Walls Blizzard-Proof" coveralls and sometimes a newspaper across my chest & upper body under the coveralls to act as additional insulation from cold and wet.  The exterior of the coveralls was cotton or cotton/polyester.  Arriving at work (or wherever) cold & wet when everyone else was warm & dry, contributed to a sense of humility, which I did not fully appreciate.  I felt poor but capable.   You will probably emerge better off for the experience.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:31:11 PM by Darell »

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »
It's been a long time, but  I owned a bike before I ever had a car. First bike(and only new bike ever) was a 72 Kawi KZ400, stripped, one mirror,kick only.  It was 30 mile commute to Rochester NY,  by January , it became painfully obvious I needed a car. Luckily the girl wasn't working, so I appropriated hers as necessary.

Hint: keep a dry set of clothes at work, especially socks and shoes.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
Had only my BSA for a few years in college.kinda miss that except when it snows or is below 40.
Got old and soft

HardAspie

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
My getting to work reliably record has been far better bike only than car only. Have my little Wolfie now and other than that a bicycle and boots. You'll be fine. I hope you are feeling okay and that Mazda recovers well and soon.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 12:39:53 AM »
I used to do appliance servicing @ customers houses for awhile.  1 time back in the 80's when I was in my 40s and my customer was in his 50's we got to talking and he informed me he had only ridden MCs his whole life, never owning a car.  He had a house with a 2 car garage then in Sacramento, Ca.  I told him I was a biker too and he asked me if I wanted to see all his bikes?  I said, sure.  He opened his big garage door and there was  a row of MCs maybe 20 side by side that all looked ready to go.  Some were street bikes, some were single enduros.  He said they were all wore out and when he replaced them this is where they ended up.  I asked him what he did when he needed to bring something too big for his bike home?  He said his daughter let him use her car then.   :bow:

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 01:54:24 AM »
I was cageless for just over a year. I bought the Breva and the engine in my RX8 took a crap not long after. I had my ex-girlfriend's car available for shopping at the like if I needed it, but for the very most part all my transportation was done on the bike. I put over 10k miles on it in one year.

After we broke up in october of last year I was cageless for about a month, ended up buying a Honda Element I'm very happy with.

The thing that precipitated buying a car was being in the HOV lane in the middle of a torrential downpour on the bike and watching something... no idea what it was... go past me in the lane at 60 mph less than a foot away. I don't know if it was a box or a rock or what. I decided right there I was getting a car before I ate it into something. Good call too since we've had the rainiest year on record in seattle.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »
well there you go. Right out the gate.

Went to see a band. Was to get down to 40. Normally probably would have taken the car, so as to not be concerned about gloves and all that, either leaving them on the bike with all the St. Patty's revelers wandering about, or schlepping stuff around in a small steamy venue. But the band wasn't to be missed. 20 miles of interstate. Some gauntlet gloves and a neck gaiter kept the skin covered.

Pulled up to the venue, a place I'd never been. Bouncers outside, I hollered, "suggestions' where to park a bike?"  one of the members of the headline act was also there. "Share ours", he says.

Living large.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:37:28 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
^ That's awesome! Great story!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:55:21 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »
You'll just have to get creative. Especially the first time you buy too many groceries... I remember once forgetting that I had taken the motorcycle to the grocery store (this was college days and pre-helmet law in mid summer). I came out of there with my groceries, which included a whole watermelon. I was on a 600cc Yamaha, no bags, no rack, nothing... Balanced that watermelon on the gas tank with legs as support. Totally stupid in retrospect, but that was some good watermelon.

Enjoy the adventure. Buy some bungee cords, nets, etc. A big backpack seems like a good idea too. And a rainsuit if you don't already have one.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »
It could be much worse....You could be without 2 wheel.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »
I used to transition from multi-vehicle to bike only quite often in the Army. Many's the time I would park the 4-wheelers and idle the insurance/registrations due to long term travel requirements.

Bikes being cheaper and less of an encumbrance upon forbearing friends for their custody.

It could get tough but then I make things worse by always owning a truck and/or vehicles able to haul the obligatorily owned utility trailer. Having to impose upon others to haul stuff around for me was the single worst aspect of being bike-only for me.

Weather I couldn't care less about excepting drifting snow. Passengers - they can get they'se own damn ride.

It was the carrying stuff that bothered me but then I don't know what particular Mazda you're talking about either.

Having owned a first generation RX-7 I'd say that the only functional difference between it and my bikes was roll up windows and A/C.

Too, and on topic, the absolute worst example of hydro-planing I ever experienced was in my RX-7 on Yadkin Road in Fayetteville. The only thing that kept me safe was floating over into the curb and it keeping attitude on latitude.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline agoldfish

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »
I have been without 4 wheels for 16 years now. By choice.

Get creative and enjoy the freedom and of parking right in front of the door of every destination.

;)

Chris.
1981 V50 Monza Café
1982 V50 Monza in bits
1957 IWL PITY
1992 Ducati Supersport 900
1984 Vespa PX 187 Longstroke Motor
2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
I have been without 4 wheels for 16 years now. By choice.

Get creative and enjoy the freedom and of parking right in front of the door of every destination.

;)

Chris.

16 years? What're ya... a Brit?

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Red Dog

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
You'll just have to get creative. Especially the first time you buy too many groceries...

Been riding the Vic all winter then the weather warmed up so I jumped on Mille. 

Stopped for breakfast and then got a coffee to go, walked out & looked at Mille with no saddlebags, cup holder etc.
Gave the coffee to a homeless guy.

Left work that same day & stopped to buy groceries came out with a bag full and looked at no saddlebags again.
College kid pulled in so I gave her the bag.

Am  I really getting that old?

Offline agoldfish

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 11:23:59 AM »
16 years? What're ya... a Brit?

Todd.

Yes. British. But been living in Berlin, Germany for 16 years, since leaving London.

I have 3 bikes, a Vespa for town. Guzzi v50 for ... riding and a Ducati 900SS for longer trips. S + M + L.

Public transport here is AWESOME! Its cheap and runs on time. In the warmer months i use my Bicycle. Even for shopping (2x 30L Saddlebags).

On the rare occaison i need four wheels i rent it. There is a great car sharing scheme here, CAR2GO. You 'find' a rental car using your smart phone, rent per minute and leave it anywhere for the next renter to find. I have never had to walk more than 200m to find one.

All the money i save on a car, allows me to have 3 bikes and a huge heated garage to keep them in.

Chris
1981 V50 Monza Café
1982 V50 Monza in bits
1957 IWL PITY
1992 Ducati Supersport 900
1984 Vespa PX 187 Longstroke Motor
2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
Yes. British. But been living in Berlin, Germany for 16 years, since leaving London.

I have 3 bikes, a Vespa for town. Guzzi v50 for ... riding and a Ducati 900SS for longer trips. S + M + L.

Public transport here is AWESOME! Its cheap and runs on time. In the warmer months i use my Bicycle. Even for shopping (2x 30L Saddlebags).

On the rare occaison i need four wheels i rent it. There is a great car sharing scheme here, CAR2GO. You 'find' a rental car using your smart phone, rent per minute and leave it anywhere for the next renter to find. I have never had to walk more than 200m to find one.

All the money i save on a car, allows me to have 3 bikes and a huge heated garage to keep them in.

Chris

No surprise then. My wife being "off the boat" Brit/Irish connects me to several Uk types who rely solely upon two/three wheeled transport. Given their generation, it really is a cultural thing for them. Her uncle, though he bows to familial realities in owning a four wheeler for them, entirely eschews using anything other than motorbikes for his own transportation.

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »
I went several years at a time with only two wheels, when I was young. Had the 350 Sprint in Cleveland and motored through a couple of snowy winters with mud tires -- scary on slick roads at night, and a bitch to kick start in the cold. The Honda 500 in Manhattan in the mid-70s. Could walk to work then so used the bike mainly at night and on weekends. More recently, depended on motorcycles for a month or two after losing cars to natural disasters -- elk collision, flood.

It's all doable with some grit and creative loading.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »
About four years ago, the rear diff went on my Van, around February. I had neither the cash nor the inclination to fix it (that van served me well, but repairs would have been burning cash at that point), so I walked everywhere until the snow melted (also lost about 8 kg doing so).

As soon as the roads were ice-free (as opposed to snow-free), I was on my CB750. It was my only set of wheels until the next winter, when I pretty much *had* to buy another vehicle, as I had taken a new job, with a 30km commute)

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
Excellent to hear the tales, folks. Keep 'em coming.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. A bit chilly this morning (29F), but not too far to travel. I Love this machine. This afternoon my neighbor (retired gentleman, spends a lot of time in the yard), commented that he knows its me and "not one of those sleeveless fellas"before I'm in view, based on the rumble of the motor, given that he's hearing it warm up every morning, and hearing it come and go several times a day over the weekend. " Sounds unique!" he hollered at me.

Something spiritually empowering having nothing but the bike at my disposal. Let's hope it remains that way. Lot's o' water coming this way later in the week.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
The more I get into my motorcycles, the less enjoyment I find in piloting a car. Maybe it's just that my car is ultra-boring, and offers positively no mental and spiritual stimulation. It is merely a means to an end, a method of getting somewhere, and I'm always glad to get where I need to go. On the Guzzi or my KZ, it's about seeking the long way there. Getting into this zen while on my commute. Being so tuned into the present and my machine that worries and stresses, past and future, don't have any room to fit into the moment. On the rainiest days I'll commute via the car, and I find myself getting so easily angered by traffic. Appalled by the little creaks, rattles, and ugly vibrations inside my econobox. The lack of connection.

So within the next month or two, I'm dumping the car for good and, like yourself, going with just my motorcycles as my only transport. The plan is to seek out a Ural 2wd for next winter. Dual-wheel traction, no worries about tipping over, the perfect solution to my winter fears.

I'm sure I'll get a car again in the future (or a pickup so I can cart my bikes around), but for right now, the car offers me nothing but irritation (mentally and financially, they're money pits).

Ride on!  :bike-037:
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here