Author Topic: Isuzu NPR box truck NOW AN NRR/W5!  (Read 8200 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Isuzu NPR box truck NOW AN NRR/W5!
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:10:37 AM »
I'm looking at moving and storage options and have stumbled upon a 1993 Isuzu cabover diesel truck with a 16' cargo van.  I believe it's called an 'NPR', but I don't know what that means.  It would be large enough to pack my belongings including bikes.  They're asking $5500 for it which I think might be a bit high.  I don't know anything about these trucks other than they share parts with a chevy that looks about identical.

I think the cost of buying the truck and shipping it loaded to Seattle would beat the cost of buying a container (van), having that shipped to Sitka, hauled to the house, hauled back to the barge, shipped to Seattle, hauled to Whidbey Island and dropped on skids.  Aside form the cost, the scheduling and logistics of it are overwhelmingly complicated.

So I need some opinions on this vehicle, what to look out for, what the value might be (the internet is not helpful on something this old).  It's a 1993 Isuzu Diesel 16' box truck.  At this point that's all I know about it other than it runs and the tires look legal.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:20:04 PM by rodekyll »

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
Re: Isuzu NPR box truck
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »
Is it a USD or a Japanese import? If it's an import, and not a common model steer well clear!
These things are a nightmare for finding the correct brake parts for and they need wheel cylinders and linings often.
If it's a USD and common, then you should be fine. But I often deal with JDM imports and their wheels cylinder prices can make Guzzi parts look cheap cheap cheap.

Generally Isuzu's are not bad, like anything servicing is key. If it's been serviced and the steering greased, there isn't really much to look out for other than standard wear and tear.

NPR is part of the model code. What engine is in it? 4JB1? Tough as nails, if non turbo will be slower than a wet week but will get you there.

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
My experience with Isuzu's is limited, however they seem pretty bullet proof.  We had problems with several different aftermarket fuel filters plugging and thereafter adopted a policy of original filters only.  Had some power steering gear problems on cab-over models but not consistent enough to call it a fault.  Never had transmission, driveline, brake or other chassis problems.  Interior problems were frequent but easily fixable, seats, window cranks, lights, that sort of stuff.  Basically RK it seems if it runs and drives OK it probably would work for your limited usage.  Price Idk.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
So this could have a diesel pickup engine in it?   :shocked:  I never would have guessed.

How do tell if it's a USD or JDM, and while you're explain that, please tell me what USD and JDM mean. 

And what do you mean by "for my limited use?"  I understand that these trucks are usually used for delivery route work.  What if I found a new address in Colorado?  Could I expect this kind of rig to go there?

But I like words like "bulletproof" and "not bad" when talking big trucks at beater prices.  That's guzzi context right there!

It is parked out in front of the collision center where my current project (besides moving out) is getting a '78 superbeetle running and stopping.  That's my payback for using the shop to build the trike.  I saw the truck today as I was leaving.  It was raining and I was tired so I took only a quick look.  The thing that impressed me most (besides what looks like an electric tommy lift that tucks underneath, relatively unhammered body for the age, full-height 16' box [read that 'no CDL required'], possibly auto trans, cabover, and diesel) is the faded sharpie on the for sale sign.  :wink:

But I have no idea of the condition yet.  I thought I'd check in here for things to pay attention to, and then talk with Ron, the shop owner about who owns it and what the story is.  Then I thought I might contact the owner.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:33:42 AM »
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

Those are bullet proof delivery trucks.  Yes, they have a small diesel engine.

If the truck is in decent condition, it sounds like the perfect answer to your quandry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:34:46 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
If you are lucky it has a 4BD1 in it (4 cylinder 3.9 diesel) It will be slow and load will have no impact on the speed it travels and it will be leaf springs all round so it will be a bit crap in the ride department especially empty. We have a couple of the current model 4WD versions at work the tray/box will be somewhere between 2.1 and 2.5 meters wide and 3.7ish meters long. I'm assuming its the 3tonne version unless its bigger (rated on carrying capacity 3tonne approx 6600lbs) these tend to me more a round town delivery vehicle than an open highway, just did some quick maths 16ft = 4.8 meters seems a little long for a 300 there is also a 400 550 800 etc etc although this model designation system came in well after 1993. Some people in the US were using the 4BD1 motor as a more reliable upgrade to their older landcruisers.

Price i can't tell you anything about it varies place to place I'd expect a commercial vehicle that old to be just about completely !@#$ed and 5000 south pacific peasos would be steep for a well used one. One in good condition however might make sense. You wouldn't buy one for regular long haul runs 60mph will be about all you'll squeeze out if it on the flat.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »
  A friend has a 90's model with a dump body with a 6 cylinder Diesel that does ok for local driving...Repairs can be expensive....If you spend an hour reading owner reviews on the Internet the NPR's have a reputation for engine failures when used over the road...The other options in this class are traditional step vans

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
Isuzu are tops IMO.  I've owned two Troopers have done little maintenance to either one.

The commercial trucks seem to be very popular.  I don't think you'd have any problem with parts or maintenance.  If it is some oddball non US model, call a parts supplier and find out. My guess is that these trucks have world-wide parts availability.   

Isuzu is one of the top diesel engine companies in the world.  They've designed and manufacture in partnership with GM the Duramax diesel found in GM pickups.  They are expanding the Duramax line to smaller trucks. 

$5500 sounds like a good price for a commercial truck provided it's not worn out or rusted in the climate.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
These were sold in The USA as GMC and Chevrolets, as well as Isuzus, so parts should be no problem.  I see these little trucks in daily use, all the time in this part of the country.

Only hassle will be as mentioned.  These things will not be mile munching interstate bullets.  Between the gearing and the smallish engines, they'll be best for a leisurely pace outside city limits.

I don't think that will be an issue for Rodekyll.  Hell, if he buys and and moves his stuff down to the lower 48 with it, then decideds he doesn't like it, it will be a lot more marketable and easier to move than an old sea container.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
Full size 16' box may have the 6cyl which is pretty strong.  GVW and usage determines whether or not you need a CDL and vehicle insurance and licensing requirements.  Your limited use is that you aren't going to be driving it 8-10hrs a day six days a week.  You aren't going into business are you?  All vehicles suffer from sitting so plan on some work before putting into service.  Some suffer worse than others, some of ours saw pretty limited use during winter and suffered from excessive chassis rust problems, nothing to keep them out of service long, steel brake, fuel lines, that sort of thing.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
Some states don't require a CDL if used privately, aka not for hire.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure GVWR requirements for CDL start at  26,001 pounds.

CDL will not be an issue for this little "not for hire" box truck.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
RK- moving to Colorado?  Probably a slow trip from Seattle but not such a bad bet up and down the Rockies.  OTOH 60 mph isn't bad when considering a trailer or travel trailer as an alternative.   Probably not so much fun in eastern CO.    :undecided:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:22:44 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure GVWR requirements for CDL start at  26,001 pounds.

CDL will not be an issue for this little "not for hire" box truck.

A fcriend was going to buy an ex na$car hauler to haul both his race cars and as long as it was for private use no CDL was required.
He scaled back to one car and got a F550 with 44 ft trailer.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Wonder if it was a rental.  Enterprise uses Isuzu
https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles.html

Ryder rents them too. Advertised as 'City Van' trucks.

I've always wondered what one would be like to own.  A friend used one to move from Huntsville to Annapolis and said it did great. 

Once done moving you could outfit the back like an RV toyhauler :)  Especially with that liftgate.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »
Ok -- so it's a 1993 Isuzu 16' box truck.  Cabover; 6-cyl turbo-diesel; 208k miles.  It was originally a fleet truck and has the fleet maintenance stickers all over it.  Everything I checked works except the heater isn't blowing to the defroster and the lift gate doesn't work.  The owner says the last time he tried it the smoke came out and he hasn't tried it since.  I don't see the control box anywhere, so I'm guessing he removed it.  It appears to be hydraulic/electric, so I think the problem will be with the (huge) motor.

It runs straight down the road and isn't as cobby-riding unloaded.  The doors and back door work good, interior is crappy, radio removed (holes in dash).  Brakes seem ok (unloaded), although the dash light saying 'brakes' is on all the time.  transmission shifts well except to first, where it appears to be non-synchro.  First acts normal for a non-synchro low.  Headlights work but they're half full of water.

I had it up to 50 on the road out of town.  The twisties are such that you can't go faster.  It feels like I should be able to do 60 or 65.  Nothing feels abnormal at that speed.

That's all I've got for now.

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 01:16:30 AM »
Sound's like it's not a dreaded import model so should be all good!
A lot of these types of trucks have 1st as a crawler gear, only used when heavy or in steep situations. Start off in 2nd usually.

Brake light could be fluid level (I assume it's hydraulic brakes not air over hydraulic?) or a lining wear sensor.

It's obvious you're not a mechanical muppet so I reckon your judgement is best from this point on  :thumb:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 02:55:43 AM »
I misheard the owner -- it's got 280k, not 208k.
It's also got A/C, which in Sitka is kinda funny, but which might work.  Hard to tell a/c from normal air up here.

The lift motor let the smoke out last time he used it and he says the lift pins and bushings are shot.   :cry:  I'm going to take it to the guy who knows this stuff in the morning and get his opinion on the cost of repair.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 04:23:41 AM »
Full size 16' box may have the 6cyl which is pretty strong.  GVW and usage determines whether or not you need a CDL and vehicle insurance and licensing requirements.  Your limited use is that you aren't going to be driving it 8-10hrs a day six days a week.  You aren't going into business are you?  All vehicles suffer from sitting so plan on some work before putting into service.  Some suffer worse than others, some of ours saw pretty limited use during winter and suffered from excessive chassis rust problems, nothing to keep them out of service long, steel brake, fuel lines, that sort of thing.

Brian

More likely to be the 4BD1-T (turboed version of the 3.9) very strong motor 30psi plus boost is not a problem if you so desire, what is fitted to the SASR LRPV's which supposedly are used to recover humvee's when they get stuck.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
Too much money for anything with 280K on it. Crappy interior tells me the PO wasn't all that kind to it either.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »
$5000 was the value 5-10 years ago. NPR great truck. I had a couple. You sure it has a 16' box? they usually came with 14' box unless it was a longer wheel base. It has a turbo 4 really fair diesel mileage(unless it has a chevy v8/auto, under no circumstances buy it with a gas motor, it could get 4-6 miles per gallon) NRR has the same body with a turbo 6 diesel and a longer wheel base allowing 18-22 boxes.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
$5000 was the value 5-10 years ago. NPR great truck. I had a couple. You sure it has a 16' box? they usually came with 14' box unless it was a longer wheel base. It has a turbo 4 really fair diesel mileage(unless it has a chevy v8/auto, under no circumstances buy it with a gas motor, it could get 4-6 miles per gallon) NRR has the same body with a turbo 6 diesel and a longer wheel base allowing 18-22 boxes.

This is a 16' NPR with the 6-cyl turbo diesel.

Any idea on what I can expect for fuel economy?

I had the diesel shop check out the lift.  At the least the pump's electric motor needs attention and the loading platform hinge/pivot stuff has been replaced with some old iron pipe.  The pump motor looks like a giant (ford) starter motor and might come off easily.  It's what happens next that might slay me.  Fixing the motor only qualifies me to discover if the hydraulics are working.  If they're not, the expense could get out of hand in a hurry.

I'm pondering my offer.  I see 1999/2000 NPR's going for the $5500 he's asking (no details on those -- just skimming listings).  I think that alone makes this one worth less.  How much less I don't know.  We have to factor in the part where this one is on the island and anything else would need to be shipped up.

A/C non-functional and no clues

280k miles

that lift issue.

possible leak in the front wall of the box.  Box has been lined with some sort of wood paneling so I'd have to deconstruct that to get at the inside wall.

I want to make this guy an offer tomorrow.  I don't want to insult him, but I don't want to be called "Rube-n" after the deal, either.  What would you horsetraders do?

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 05:27:47 AM »
Rented one of these from Enterprise last month and we loaded it up with equipment to fit 4 medical clinics.  I drove it over the mountains and it was tight - BUT only 20k miles on it.  The lift was a big help and there are times when it's the real value to the truck.  Maybe factor in the cost of fixing the lift - offer 2500 or so for that reason is my take on it.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
You got a TRUCK for that?  When I first got sent to the clinics up here to do equipment I got a bush plane.  There's nothing like trying to outrun a snowstorm to Hoonah in a Beaver!

But yeah.  I'm bummed about the lift.  My toolboxes and bikes are heavy.  I'm going to have to replace the hydraulic pump and motor entirely because there won't be time to order more parts if a motor alone doesn't fix it, and then hope the posts are good.  Until I can drop the lift I can't even evaluate the pivot and pin damage.  It could easily come to over a grand.  I've been thinking about it all night and I'm going to lowball him in the morning.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 06:23:42 AM »
Yep, I'd lowball him too, this is where he pays for not maintaining it. If he had, he could probly get what he's asking.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
We settled on $4500 with him paying anything over $500 on the lift repairs.  Not a stellar deal, but it still works out within my total moving budget.  Spending big money always makes me nervous.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 03:53:05 AM »
 Isuzu was building trucks before WW1.  They built trucks before they built cars.
 Isuzu built a version of the 4wd jeep before any American manufacturer did.
 They have the experience.  In the early 70s I knew of a couple who had an open bed diesel Isuzu
 of about that size.  I drove it.  It was simple, just rev it up against the governor and shift to the next gear.
 It probably would not exceed 60 MPH but it did get better milage than most cars.  When I saw the guy about 10 years later it had over 200,000 miles on it and was still going strong.  He was a farmer so he probably maintained it well.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
Isuzu was building trucks before WW1.  They built trucks before they built cars.
 Isuzu built a version of the 4wd jeep before any American manufacturer did.
 They have the experience.  In the early 70s I knew of a couple who had an open bed diesel Isuzu
 of about that size.  I drove it.  It was simple, just rev it up against the governor and shift to the next gear.
 It probably would not exceed 60 MPH but it did get better milage than most cars.  When I saw the guy about 10 years later it had over 200,000 miles on it and was still going strong.  He was a farmer so he probably maintained it well.

Isuzu may have built built 4x4's but didn't build any Jeeps..... :wink: 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
Mechanics I have known from the Middle East have thought Isuzu Diesel engines were the best. My wife had a (gas) Trooper, I always was impressed with the 4WD setup (except for the terrible auto-locking hubs, which I changed out to manuals).

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
 All modern 4 wheel drive systems used in rear drive SUV's and light trucks are based on the Lipe and Brown ,AKA Dana18 transfer case as used in WW2 era Jeeps...Flip over your  $50,000 new 4x4 and it pretty much looks like this  :azn:

[/img][/url]

Isuzu designed the Duramax Diesel used in GM PU trucks..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here