Author Topic: Sick gearbox  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
Sick gearbox
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:53:31 AM »
Bike: 2000 Quota 1100 ES

Challenge: Transmission only shifts between first and neutral.

Friends, Guzzisti, countrymen, lend me your ear. Need to hear from, or about, a skilled gearbox guy. Purchased a low-mileage Quota last year that had been wrecked. Scattered it. Addressed a multitude of problems, powder-coated the frame and put it back together. Having reassembled the Quota and succeeding to get it to start, run and drive, disappointed was I to learn that the only system not performing optimally was the transmission. It shifts into first, then back to neutral. That's it.

(Sigh)

Upon disassembly the second time (the first time involved welding up a crack in a boss in the rear cover, re-machining that boss, replacing the bearings and seals, shimming the shift drum), nothing was found to be amiss. Nothing bent, no evidence of rubbing or binding. When actuated, the shift drum simply refuses to rotate far enough to engage gears.

If any of you can either advise me or else recommend an individual competent enough to shoo the gremlins out of this gearbox, hopefully somewhere in the Midwest, I would be forever in your debt.

pete roper

Re: Sick gearbox
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:22:35 AM »
Methinks the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th selector forks are in back to front.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:59:24 AM »
Methinks the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th selector forks are in back to front.

:laugh: Been there, done that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:06:14 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »
Well, at least that's a free fix.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:00:39 AM »
:laugh: Been there, done that.

Many thanks Pete and Charles.

Gave it a try. No go. The forks in question are the same part and, because of their angle, only go in a certain way.

At this point I'd be willing to give up a bag of shekels to any Guzzi gearbox-savvy technocrat willing to give it a go.

Any takers?

Lateness

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:42:00 AM by Late to the party »

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
Where are you?
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
No offense intended at all, but..if it were me, and Pete and Charlie say it's possible to install them wrong... I'd seriously look at how that can happen.
After you shimmed the shift drum, you *did* run it through the gears before reinstalling it on the bike, right? <scratching head>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
Is there the equivalent of the pawl centering spring on that gearbox?
Could be just a matter of centering the eccentric?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Keep at it, you will figure it out. Good luck.

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
To Chuck in Indiana,

No offense taken. Yes, I did try out the gearbox the first time. Yes, mistakes were made. Yes, there is always more to the story. Right now, I'm doing damage control. If I can find a competent soul to help me unravel this mess and get back on track, I will deliver, pick up and make it worth their while.

Lateness.

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »
And in the event that I didn't make this clear, the gearbox and I are in the Saint Louis metro area.

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
And in the event that I didn't make this clear, the gearbox and I are in the Saint Louis metro area.

I'd help, but a 13hr drive is a fetch.

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
Is there the equivalent of the pawl centering spring on that gearbox?
Could be just a matter of centering the eccentric?

Did try adjusting what I believe is the eccentric while the gearbox was still in the bike. Quarter turn one way. Try it. Quarter turn the opposite way, etc. Didn't make any appreciable difference.

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 01:15:07 PM »
Are all the drum dowels in place? Layshaft output nut tightened ?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:18:01 PM by Dick »

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
When assembling the selector forks and shaft it is quite possible to install the two 1-2 & 3-4 back to front. If you used the exploded parts diagram as a guide it in fact shows them the wrong way round!

When they are in the box all three of the bosses on the forks that hold the pegs that engage in the slots in the selector drum should be in a line so the bosses of 1-2 & 3-4 are directly below the boss for the 5th gear selector when it is installed. This is with the box standing on its bell houssing end.

Wip the end case off take a pic down beside the drum and post it up. At least we'll be able to clear it up whether it's right or wrong but I still think this the most likely cause of your woes.

Pete

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
Now THIS is a post worth following. Unlike my drivel :laugh:

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
Many thanks Pete and Charles.

Gave it a try. No go. The forks in question are the same part and, because of their angle, only go in a certain way.

At this point I'd be willing to give up a bag of shekels to any Guzzi gearbox-savvy technocrat willing to give it a go.

Any takers?

Lateness

How about Curtis @ Harpers?
Charlie

pete roper

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
Are all the drum dowels in place? Layshaft output nut tightened ?

Dick, the poor bastard got it back together and back in the running bike before he found out it wouldn't select!

I remember that, in another universe, long, long ago........ :grin:

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
How about Curtis @ Harpers?

Curtis and I have a good relationship. Will bring him into the loop if push comes to shove. Part of me clings tenaciously to the notion that this challenge can be met at the amateur level.

Many sincere thanks to Pete Roper for weighing in. As has been referenced, many of you experienced these same stumbles a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Try to keep in mind that there are still those who need to endure these travails as part of their "path".

Lateness

pete roper

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
That's the reason I'm tenaciously clinging to the back to front selector fork theory. It may not be right but it's the most obvious cause and the symptoms are right.

Helping out like this is what it's all about. The only thing that gives me the irrits is when one tries to explain something like this and you immediately get told you're wrong by someone who is clueless and wet behind the ears! :D

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 02:44:59 PM »
Part of me clings tenaciously to the notion that this challenge can be met at the amateur level.
It can and you can. It's just nuts and bolts. Post up a picture, and all will become clear, grasshopper.. :smiley: The denizens of WG have walked me through a maze or two.. :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Curtis and I have a good relationship. Will bring him into the loop if push comes to shove. Part of me clings tenaciously to the notion that this challenge can be met at the amateur level.

Many sincere thanks to Pete Roper for weighing in. As has been referenced, many of you experienced these same stumbles a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Try to keep in mind that there are still those who need to endure these travails as part of their "path".

Lateness

Trans rebuilds are generally four hours labor. $85 per hour. Depending on how much damage has been done by previous explorations, price may vary.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
On top of selector drum is a big shim, he stops the dowels coming out. Dowels are needed to actually turn drum.

That's my bet, don't ask me how I know, was a long time ago I found out. Same symptom.

And rather than selector forks switched, the sliding selector dogs (often called synchros but aren't) from 1/2 and 3/4 are different and not interchangeable, another possibility

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:51 PM »
 Motors are a piece of cake , electrical stuff doesn't intimidate me at all , but transmissions require voodoo and the waving of dead chickens . They make my spine quiver  :cry:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
Motors are a piece of cake , electrical stuff doesn't intimidate me at all , but transmissions require voodoo and the waving of dead chickens . They make my spine quiver  :cry:

Dusty

Pfffft. They're just nuts and bolts. The Kid brought his Spot down for me to walk him through putting new gears in the transmission. I told him the blind leading the blind, eh? Once we had it opened up, he said, "Oh.. I see." Nothing to this is there?"  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

...but transmissions require voodoo and the waving of dead chickens . They make my spine quiver  :cry:...

Dusty

Chuck, watch over the chook very carefully -- we don't want to see him ending up as a sacrifice!   :grin:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
Pfffft. They're just nuts and bolts. The Kid brought his Spot down for me to walk him through putting new gears in the transmission. I told him the blind leading the blind, eh? Once we had it opened up, he said, "Oh.. I see." Nothing to this is there?"  :smiley:

And shafts and gears and shims and forks and drums and ...

Dusty

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »
[/url]
[/img]

To no one's surprise, Pete Roper et al. were right on the money. The shift forks were installed backward.

Shown here is what I believe to be the correct arrangement, although recent history suggests I have been wrong about that more than once already.

Many sincere thanks to all who have helped me slog through this little adventure.

Going to sleep now. Will work on it more later.

Lateness.

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

Dusty

What Dusty intimates here is the gosh-darned truth. Gearboxes are FULL of black magic.

The image did not load. The chicken must not have been dead enough.

Will work on that later, too..

Lateness

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 02:28:10 AM »
Dxamn...another SPII on town...

See, ya never shooda shimed it...
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here