Author Topic: GPS? Really  (Read 8394 times)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Re: GPS? Really
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
Dead Reckoning.

Sun, water flows, moss  I know to many decades backpacking

Over - yonder

And lastly those folded paper things called maps.

GPS is for younger folks who are not easily confused

Mark

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »
I use GPS to find addresses in cities I've never been to.  Most other times I use memory or an atlas.  Don't have a state map.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Do you still use a cigarette paper to check timing with contact breakers Steve, or have you caved in and bought a TIMING LIGHT !!! :embarrassed:
Yes, I have a variable T Lite where you can use TDC if you want. BUT No I don't have lectrik gear of any kind, I do have sweaters though.  My phone is just a flip phone. I use puter for bikes cause it went that way and needed to keep up on it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
And let the spellchecker correct it!   That way you wouldn't NEED a keyboard, the "c" would come from inside the machine!

Genius!   Next, "bolour supplements" .....

Lannis

Huh! I never thought of that before. What a silly bunt!
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
I like gps and paper maps or charts. I usually write my driving directions in dry erase marker on the inside of my windscreen. Rode a couple times across the U.S. that way- no gps. I flew an ag plane from central Texas to Paragould, Arkansas with no compass, no nav equipment, just a wac chart. That was fun. Gps is great for in town. Nothing beats a map spread out on the table and dreaming of places to go and roads to ride. I have found that nowdays it is hard to find a road map with any detail. They show only major hiways and it takes a lot of searching to find the good stuff. I end up resorting to an online map for the good roads. I am too tight to pay high prices for a series of maps with that kind of detail, but I may change my mind soon. Maps have a magic that gps will never have.

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
My Speedhut speedometer/odometer uses the GPS signal, and gives a precise, honest readout of both speed and distance.  Plus it doesn't need any wheel sensors and doesn't care if you change wheels or tires.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline nyITguy

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
I hate relying on GPS. I'm good at staring at a map for a while and committing as much of it as possible to memory. GPS dulls my spacial awareness, sense of direction and time. Last trip I took where I tried to rely on it I wound up way off course because I was more interested in my surroundings than in paying attention to the screen.

But it certainly was helpful at the end of the day when I needed to pinpoint an address I'd never been to before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 07:17:58 PM »
Oh fellas. I do not speak of something I do not know. My wife surprised me with one. After a couple of near disasters: wrong way down a one way street in a Phila. Suburb and the turn right here to no road. I have no idea where it is, and I ain't lookin!
Where old towns and new building occurs, GPS goes haywire. My own 100 year old house shows up on GPS 1 1/2 miles away because the new homes in the neighborhood did not use the earlier numbers. I tell people with GPS to go to #38 on my road and I am across the street. My number is 121. Happens all to frequently where old meets new.
As for maps, I do all my map reading in the comfort of home. Then I take my 5x5 plastic board and grease pencil all my route numbers and direction. Several soft fridge magnets glued to the plastic board hold my directions on the gas tank.
For bike weeks the maps stay cozy in the saddle bags.
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
As for maps, I do all my map reading in the comfort of home. Then I take my 5x5 plastic board and grease pencil all my route numbers and direction. Several soft fridge magnets glued to the plastic board hold my directions on the gas tank.
For bike weeks the maps stay cozy in the saddle bags.

Since I'm not big on tank bags (they get in my way and in the way of putting gas in the bike) although I like the map pocket on top, I have a couple of Enduro map rollers that I move from bike to bike.   I load 'em up with directions and mileages from the maps and then just turn the knob as I go down the road.

Should be useful too if I get into the Motogiro habit next year ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
Yes it was , it's been co-opted by folks who aren't aware of the story .

Dusty
No I wasn't aware of that actually.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »
Where I find I use the GPS most is pulling off the highway and calling it up to tell me how far from the next few towns or major highway intersections I am.  Handy when I'm considering a fuel stop.  Otherwise, unless I've planned the route for a reason, I'm more likely to piss her off (British robot lady in the GPS) by "chasing butterflies", as a guy smarter and more disciplined than I once said.

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
I keep a set of maps on the bike for the state(s) I'm traveling in (and probably a Tour Book from AAA as well).  My GPS is always on as that's were I have my music stored.  If I'm in rally mode, then the GPS is a necessity, but if I'm in tourist mode, the maps are my go-to.

On my latest trip to NorCal for the Tour of Honor, I found myself using the maps to find the funner roads between bonus locations and the GPS for final routing.  When all else fails, I tell the GPS to take me home and it will point me to the correct freeway.  At least from there I have a good jumping off point for my own directions.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
Whew...Luddite gazetteers are coming out of the woodwork! For a moment, I thought I was on the Airheads Beemer Club forum.

I like both maps and GPS. Neither works as well as both of them together. Maps are great for planning, re-living a trip, or finding your way in a deep canyon. GPS (along with Bluetooth audio) is great for providing directions that don't require taking your eyes off the road along with nearly infinite details regarding lodging, fuel, campgrounds, etc. I proved my map-reading chops in the Army Land Navigation course back in the mid-seventies...these days I prefer the belts-and-suspenders approach that I can achieve with both paper maps and GPS.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
In packing for an upcoming short trip to Germany (with two-day detour into Alps) I immediately bought a paper map of the region - AND downloaded the appropriate maps to my phone (which syncs with my Garmin handheld GPS).

I plan to mark my desired locations on the map. Even if I get totally lost and have dead batteries, I bet I can find someone who (even if they don't speak English) can show me where I am and/or draw a line with best route to my destination.

Cool thing about the handheld Garmin I use - you can download your intended track as a colored line. Then all you have to do is glance at the screen to see if you are still on the colored line. If not, it's time to stop and figure out where you blew a turn.

I also like tracking my rides with the GPS. Sometimes I will start down a new road that I don't have time to explore - and it shows as a spur on my map that I can come back to another day. Or I can "mark" a location of interest at any time.

So yeah - I love using a GPS, but the idea of depending ONLY on it does not appeal to me.

Case in point... I was riding a dirt bike from Flagstaff, AZ to Sedona, AZ (following my colored line on the screen) and about to enter the only dirt road that drops down a major grade when I met a forest ranger. He flagged me down and said the road was closed to motor vehicles. A detour at this point would have caused at least a 2-hour delay back to asphalt. I pulled out my motor-vehicle-use-map for the area, pointed at where I thought we were and said, "are we here?"  He looked, agreed that was the location, saw the "motorcycle-only" designation on the road and said, "Well I guess it's just closed to cars. Have a nice day."  About a half-mile later, I encountered a locked gate across the road, with a motorcycle sized opening in it (and appropriate signage.)  Moral of the story: Map + GPS is better than either alone.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
I use maps and I don't mind getting lost.   :shocked:

I've gotten lost many times using s GPS.  :boozing: :shocked:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
I use a GPS almost all of the time.
But I SELDOM let the thing route me from A to B. Or when I do, I often ignore what it is saying.
Instead, I use it just as an e-map. I often ride down a road, glance at it, and see a road of in the woods, that I would not have even know existed if I had not glanced at the GPS screen. Off to explore I go.
I have often ridden with people that have planned out a ride on paper, and we have to 'stick with the plan'. And many times during the ride, I see interesting roads on the screen, that all I can do is hope to return to the area some day to explore.
People that think a GPS is only going to give you a structured boring ride, are doing it wrong.

It also helps that I have spent a lot of time editing OSM maps for public use. You tend to learn a lot about an area, when you edit and create map data.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:42:26 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:49 AM »
Get a better one and latest maps. You can't lose.

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
Sorry if I offended anyone. Actually, I don't go enough places anymore to need or use the GPS. It just bothers. Me when people are going somewhere they have been before or a simple point A to point B. Oh, map directions don't stop me from altering a trip. If a road calls to me, I go.
Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
No I wasn't aware of that actually.

It's OK Peter , wouldn't expect an Ozzie to even be aware of Oklahoma  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
I use a GPS almost all of the time.
But I SELDOM let the thing route me from A to B. Or when I do, I often ignore what it is saying.
Instead, I use it just as an e-map. I often ride down a road, glance at it, and see a road of in the woods, that I would not have even know existed if I had not glanced at the GPS screen. Off to explore I go.
I have often ridden with people that have planned out a ride on paper, and we have to 'stick with the plan'. And many times during the ride, I see interesting roads on the screen, that all I can do is hope to return to the area some day to explore.
People that think a GPS is only going to give you a structured boring ride, are doing it wrong.

It also helps that I have spent a lot of time editing OSM maps for public use. You tend to learn a lot about an area, when you edit and create map data.

I've found a bunch of old roads I never would have ridden w/o the GPS.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Yes, maps for the big picture, GPS to find the pub in Bugtussle.

I  always go to either Hooterville or Pettycoat Junction. Bugtussle waters their whiskey!😆😆
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
Okay, use a satnav in a car, but on a bike? Never. Billy and Wyatt didn't need one, and neither should you.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
Forgot my other land nav aid.  The gun stabilization system on my tank.  :)

Dark night, just a map and in a forest where I can't see hills or horizon.  Before entering forest, orient the gun north and turn on the stab system.  That way I at least knew how to keep going in same general direction  :)  No, compasses did not work when sitting on top of 60tons of steel :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »

Part of the "whole deal" is working your way out.  I like intermixing with people and asking for directions.  :tongue:  Sometimes, I really get lost.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »
It's OK Peter , wouldn't expect an Ozzie to even be aware of Oklahoma  :laugh:

Dusty
Yeah Doris Day told me where it was.
Thar's where the " Wind comes whistling 'cross the plain"

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
Yeah Doris Day told me where it was.
Thar's where the " Wind comes whistling 'cross the plain"

You've got your casting upside down - to be expected, I guess!

Doris Day had nothing to do with it, as Laurie was played most notably by (but not first) by Florence Henderson (stage) and Shirley Jones (film).

Meantime, Doris was busy in Calamity Jane, The Glass Bottom Boat, and Please Don't Eat the Daisies.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
 Peter , ignore the movie Oklahoma , read the play "Green grow the lilacs" to understand where I live.  Rogers and Hammerstein to great liberties in creating the original musical . We don't really break into song for no apparent reason  :laugh:

Dusty
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:51:22 PM by oldbike54 »

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »
And if you want a real giggle, discover what Jane's "calamity" was.   :shocked:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here