Author Topic: New V9 Bobber Sport  (Read 10934 times)

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
Re: New V9 Bobber Sport
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
"most" people don't want to pay the $$$$ premium for the top shelf suspension.

The OEMs can keep the pricepoint low by installing bargain basement suspension.

I, and other riders who RIDE, know the difference and are willing to pay the premium.

Guzzi should offer a "sport" version of every bike which includes Ohlins on both ends..
+1.  I don't quite understand why people say that the stock suspension is fine.  Especially the fork.  I guess it depends what you've ridden and how.  I suppose you could putt around and ride it like a cruiser and it would be ok.  I know a lot of people here are into that and it's fine.  Maybe it depends on where you live too and pavement quality.

When i see a twisty road i like to turn it up a bit - nothing crazy.  My V7ii tended to scare me a bit when i did that.  I did the Racetech springs, emulator, and oil weight mod.  Wow - i am impressed. 

And i agree that it's not about horsepower.  I will take decent suspension and good brakes over an increase in power any day.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
I doubt they'd sell lots of them if they looked like this. We are definitely not the ticket to success for any manufacturer on this page.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
just putting $1500 worth of rear shocks on a bike with a spindly nonadjustable fork with a wallowing fat balloon front tire doesn't make it a sporty bike?  Uh, at least it looks like they moved the pegs back from the original placement.  Tank is still a monstrosity.  The V9 is going to go down as one of the ugliest guzzi ever built, and that's saying something.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
I built the sport before they did and it was a great bike till some jackass ran a red light!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2018, 06:37:18 AM »

jThe V9 is going to go down as one of the ugliest guzzi ever built, and that's saying something.

Florida will always hold top spot for ugly Guzzi.

I kind of like the v9 fuel tank. It reminds me of the Triumph X-75 Hurricane.

Anything 'sport' definitely needs nice inverted forks and sports bike sized rubber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 06:44:37 AM »
+1.  I don't quite understand why people say that the stock suspension is fine.  Especially the fork.  I guess it depends what you've ridden and how.  I suppose you could putt around and ride it like a cruiser and it would be ok.  I know a lot of people here are into that and it's fine.  Maybe it depends on where you live too and pavement quality.

When i see a twisty road i like to turn it up a bit - nothing crazy.  My V7ii tended to scare me a bit when i did that.  I did the Racetech springs, emulator, and oil weight mod.  Wow - i am impressed. 

And i agree that it's not about horsepower.  I will take decent suspension and good brakes over an increase in power any day.
My 2014 V7 Special front fork rated right up there among worst I've ever owned. And I owned a 1974 HD Sportster!

My V11 Nero Corsa was the best, but it had Ohlins forks. The Marzocchi M1 on my Sport 1100 is the best conventional fork I've owned.

Guzzi (Piaggio, I guess) has just chosen price point for the V7 / V9 bikes.  Too bad, really.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:27 AM »
Couldn't agree more that the stock V7 front end is awful.  However, as several here have mentioned over several posts, some are fine with it as delivered.
There are those of us who can't get with that, but that's us.  Good for us that several well develop solutions exist, and I figured that into the V7 I purchased.  That said, I do understand how some buyers question the poor offerings from most of the manufactures.

On a side note, the BMW G310R I purchased for my bride has the best stock front and rear end of any bike I've ever ridden STOCK that did not come with high end components, such as Works or Ohlins as part of a package.  Astounding how good it is right out of the box.  It does beg the question, does it not?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »
http://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/news/Moto-Guzzi-V9-Bobber-Sport-makes-its-d-but-at-Open-House-2018/

Well, it does look more aggressive, and that's probably a good thing if you're going to call it a sport.  I think they likely should have upgraded the forks a bit.  Over all it looks better, but they apparently made no effort to up the power.  Guzzi doesn't seem to agree with me, and perhaps they have good reason for not ($$$) as over the last decade they call something a sport, but don't add any more power.

But I suspect this will increase v9 sales, if they don't over price it, and it is a nice little boost until the v85 tears up the road!

To me and many of my friends 'sport' means better handling, not more power.  Sport turned suspension. 

More power without better handling is a waste.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
To me and many of my friends 'sport' means better handling, not more power.  Sport turned suspension. 

More power without better handling is a waste.
Agreed

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
Is anyone else getting tired of satin/matt paint? That deep red would look so good with a gloss finish. I hope they dropped the checkerboard graphics, if so I'll give it a test ride.
Nope, though I might be getting a little tired of those who keep saying that people who can accept/live with cheaper stock suspensions:

* Don't really ride

And/or

* Don't know any better

I can scrape pegs with the stock suspensions on our bikes (though on some that really is faster than I feel I should be going on the street)

And I've ridden some press and friends bikes with really exceptional suspensions.

Though I wouldn't mind a little better front suspension on the smallblocks changing that's just not a priority.

Though I still want dual discs for my own irrational reasons, even recognizing they are fine with the single.

Anyway, a Sport Bobber sounded fine to me, but not without those duals.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
The obsession with suspension options amuses me too. Outside of losing all damping the stock suspension and/or lack of fancy suspension has never been an issue for me.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 10:23:40 AM »
Agreed

Duh!  That's why I said it should also have upgraded front forks to go along with the rear plungers!  My contention is give it better "springs" all around, and at least bump the Hp up a couple clicks to generate more excitement.  I mean really, would you rather have it the way it's currently configured, or would you like reasonable quality adjustable forks, and 60hp?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
Duh!  That's why I said it should also have upgraded front forks to go along with the rear plungers!  My contention is give it better "springs" all around, and at least bump the Hp up a couple clicks to generate more excitement.  I mean really, would you rather have it the way it's currently configured, or would you like reasonable quality adjustable forks, and 60hp?

A suspension upgrade would have made my V7 quicker on the mountain roads I have been riding.  More power?  Nope.  Didn't even get to use the power available.  In fact, I dropped around 25 HP from the FZ-07 and the fun factor has not been diminished at all.

So if you live where the roads are straight and the speed limits high I could see where you would want more power.  More power comes with many negatives IMO.  More power requires larger contact patches, more braking power, beefier components which either add weight or more cost.  In the end you have taken a nice simple bike and turned it into something no one can really use on the road and cost them much more money. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:26:54 PM by twowheeladdict »
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
A suspension upgrade would have made my V7 quicker on the mountain roads I have been riding.  More power?  Nope.  Didn't even get to use the power available.  In fact, I dropped around 25 HP from the FZ-07 and the fun factor has not been diminished at all.

So if you live where the roads are straight and the speed limits high I could see where you would want more power.  More power comes with many negatives IMO.  More power requires larger contact patches, more braking power, beefier components which either add weight or more cost.  In the end you have taken a nice simple bike and turned it into something no one can really use on the road and cost them much more money.
I could make the same argument for suspension making you faster. I don't actually want to be faster in the Twisties, I'm good thanks.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »
I could make the same argument for suspension making you faster. I don't actually want to be faster in the Twisties, I'm good thanks.

Think of it more as safer.  The bike did wallow if the curve wasn't smooth.  When a bike can't even go around the curve as fast as a honda civic 4 door without feeling unsafe, well you get the picture. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:04 AM »
Think of it more as safer.  The bike did wallow if the curve wasn't smooth.  When a bike can't even go around the curve as fast as a honda civic 4 door without feeling unsafe, well you get the picture.
I get a picture that doesn't agree with my bike. I have no problem riding it stock through the twisties faster than most/all traffic, even in less than ideal pavement conditions, which are relatively rare in my experience (which is amazing considering how awful many PA roads are).

I do agree you have a potentially greater margin of safety should you encounter such bad pavement. But since it's so rare for me it's not a compelling argument.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »
I get a picture that doesn't agree with my bike. I have no problem riding it stock through the twisties faster than most/all traffic, even in less than ideal pavement conditions, which are relatively rare in my experience (which is amazing considering how awful many PA roads are).

I do agree you have a potentially greater margin of safety should you encounter such bad pavement. But since it's so rare for me it's not a compelling argument.

You have to go with what works for you.  If I were 30 years younger and/or had a better body I could probably get away with the stock suspension. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
I'll bite.  I loved my former Roamer.  But is a new paint scheme and Ohlins shocks gonna get more people to buy one?

A different shape fuel tank mighta worked for me.   :gotpics:
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline TalbotMatra

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
For me, the design of the fuel tank is a work of art!  :laugh:
 You see, opinions about the styling of the V9 can be so different.  :boxing:

Ciao
Lars
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:50:07 AM by TalbotMatra »
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber,

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
As a former owner of a V9 Bobber, it gets no respect! I rode the wheels off it. Liked it much more then the V7 III racer I own. The biggest weakness was the rear shocks, so that has changed. Had no problem blasting out 500 mile rides at 90 mph. Did a great job in the twisties.  :bike-037:

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
For me, the design of the fuel tank is a work of art!  :laugh:
 You see, opinions about the styling of the V9 can be so different.  :boxing:

Ciao
Lars

I can certainly agree with ya.  For me a boxy tank with vertical sides would tickle my fancy. Something like the old XLCR.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
"most" people don't want to pay the $$$$ premium for the top shelf suspension.

The OEMs can keep the pricepoint low by installing bargain basement suspension.

I, and other riders who RIDE, know the difference and are willing to pay the premium.

Guzzi should offer a "sport" version of every bike which includes Ohlins on both ends..
Agreed.  As long as bargain basement doesn't mean rock hard suspension.  Lets have bikes from the factory that are designed for 130 - 160# riders.  That might just match the younger demographic Guzzi would like to reach.  For our Guzzi riders who weigh 190-240 pounds, well then ..... let them do what lighter riders have had to do for several years .... spend some bucks to make their suspension match their weight.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:59:48 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
Agreed.  As long as bargain basement doesn't mean rock hard suspension.  Lets have bikes from the factory that are designed for 130 - 160# riders.  That might just match the younger demographic Guzzi would like to reach.  For our Guzzi riders who weigh 190-240 pounds, well then ..... let them do what lighter riders have had to do for several years .... spend some bucks to make their suspension match their weight.

Bob

or

1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »

Bob

I weigh 240, and I found the 2014 V7 Special to have the most harsh suspension I remember riding.  The front fork damping was terrible.  Couldn't have been much worse.  I don't know how the 130 pounders among us can take it.

Nothing worse than a poorly set up, cheap-ass fork assembly on an otherwise pretty cool bike.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »
They should have went the rest of the way with USD cartridge forks up front. 

My local dealer has cleared all his '17 V7s this past month and a few of the '18s have sold, but the '17 V9 bobber with a $2000 discount is still sitting there.  I'll bet you could have it for $8000 out the door if you show up with cash.

Agree. I won't be buying anything new until the suspension is upgraded on both ends. I've got my 2013 Racer set up nicely and I don't feel like going through that exercise again. When the new models have better suspension all around then I'll move.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »
I had 3 beemers from 1997 and up.  They all responded well to upgraded suspension.  Interestingly, my former Victory and now this Cali 1400 have really decent factory suspensions.  Another person posted about the original Honda CBX 1000.  I checked some old reports and the originals of those had 35 mm softly sprung forks and a flexible flyer swingarm with plastic bushings, ridiculous for such a large, powerful bike, but that was how it was in those days.  So, to me, even the most basic of today's suspensions are probably better than what we had back then. 
Blue Guzz

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
I had 3 beemers from 1997 and up.  They all responded well to upgraded suspension.  Interestingly, my former Victory and now this Cali 1400 have really decent factory suspensions.  Another person posted about the original Honda CBX 1000.  I checked some old reports and the originals of those had 35 mm softly sprung forks and a flexible flyer swingarm with plastic bushings, ridiculous for such a large, powerful bike, but that was how it was in those days.  So, to me, even the most basic of today's suspensions are probably better than what we had back then.

Ya Im wondering if the difference of opinion has a lot to do with past bikes.. Coming from 70's and early 80's bikes the new stuff is pretty good...  but if your used to riding the more modern sport bikes...  Well ya I can see the point.. 
Paul B

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
Ya Im wondering if the difference of opinion has a lot to do with past bikes.. Coming from 70's and early 80's bikes the new stuff is pretty good...  but if your used to riding the more modern sport bikes...  Well ya I can see the point..

Absolutely!  If you don't know what you are missing it is easier to accept what you have.  Knowing that whatever I buy is going to require $2000 in upgrades definitely makes me think carefully about my buying decision.

I got my first vehicle with automatic climate control in 2017.  When I hop in the vehicle without it I realize what I put up with all these years.  Vehicle getting hot or cold and constantly adjusting AC/heat for changing conditions.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
amazing how luxuries become necessities.  for me it is cruise control on a bike, i don't think i could live without it now.
Blue Guzz

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
amazing how luxuries become necessities.  for me it is cruise control on a bike, i don't think i could live without it now.

Traded off my amazing Concours 1400 because I wanted cruise control since I had it on my Vulcan Voyager 1700 and got spoiled.  Now, any "touring" bike has to have cruise control.  Triumph is the only one I know of offering it on smaller bikes with their 800cc displacement adventure bikes. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here