Author Topic: 8V Guzzi's faultless! (Shock! Horror! Probe!)  (Read 7989 times)

Vasco DG

8V Guzzi's faultless! (Shock! Horror! Probe!)
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:09:08 AM »
Oh dear! A bunch of us went for a run to Long Flat in northern NSW this weekend.bit like a 'Not A Rally' as we stayed at a pub. Dunno how many Griso's turned up, ten? Twelve? And a couple of other 'Newer' Guzzis too.

On Friday we, (Being Mark, Ralf and I.) rode up from Bungendore via Oberon, Lithgow, Bell's Line, Putty Singleton, Dungog and on to Gloucester. It was 39-40*C and we sweated our are sea off. The bikes got a good work out too! Next day we rode to Long Flat through rain, rain and a bit more rain, then today we rode back to Bungendore droning down the freeway in pouring rain. It was cold and horrid but we got home.

Other blokes came down from Queensland and all over. Most of us travelled in excess of 800Km/500Miles each way. Bikes ranged in age/mileage from my battle-weary 2008 model with 86,000km and a similar 2008 with a lot fewer kms through to an almost brand new 2014 Diavalo Nero and you know what? They all went like the powers of piss and nobody had a single issue, (At least none of those who have reported in as 'Home Safe'!') apart from being cold and wet!

Not definitive 'Proof' but can we please lay to bed this idea that Guzzis are somehow unreliable or undependable? Please, it's giving me a headache, not to mention an enormous pain in the arse!

Pete

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 8V Guzzi's faultless! (Shock! Horror! Probe!)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:37:45 AM »
It was only about 250 miles but had a great ride on my Norge 8V yesterday through the Flinthills of Kansas. Didn't miss a beat and put a grin on my face. Met a couple of nice guys, one on a H-D and one on a Suzuki M90 that thought the Norge was a BMW but that is a common response.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:49:40 AM »
I supplemented my 1200 Sport with a Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport. The model is just 2 years old but the owners forum is already full of moans about build quality and reliability issues and 'I wish I'd never bought it' comments. One guy in Australia is selling his becuase he found out it was made in Thailand which according to him makes it suddenly a worthless plastic POS.
The popular replacement is the new KTM 1050 which no doubt will suffer similar abuse when enough of the pack join up for another feeding frenzy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:50:26 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »
My 09 has been sitting under cover in the cave for almost four months now and hasn't had a single problem!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
You mean that you didn't have any cylinders explode and launch off like a rocket?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
Quote from Wayne Orwig:
You mean that you didn't have any cylinders explode and launch off like a rocket?

Actually it is not exploding cylinders but the anti heat seeking missile flares when flying to low. ;D
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »
Not definitive 'Proof' but can we please lay to bed this idea that Guzzis are somehow unreliable or undependable? Please, it's giving me a headache, not to mention an enormous pain in the arse!

Pete

Nice haul!

I don't know how this got started-perhaps because they're Italian. Nearly everybody I've ever chatted with has asked about trouble and reliability.

I've ridden my LM IV 30k miles, 100 miles a day to work and back in every weather (Florida weather) and only once had to pull off and change a fuse.

With upgraded switchgear and attention to weatherproofing the wiring properly I expect zero issues for all eternity.

I bought it specifically because of the reliability and maintenance-free nature I knew they have. I needed to get to work without spending my entire paycheck on gas, and wanted something fun to ride too. This worked. :shrug:
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
I worked our local motorcycle show for thr MG dealer and got asked over and over about perceived reliability issues.  When I told people of having zero issues with my Norge, Stevio, Stone and Griso I got a lot of surprised looks.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »

Well said!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Fay and I rode our 8V Guzzi to Nova Scotia and back a couple years ago, not one glitch in 5000 miles.

On the other hand Fay and I rode our 1961 BSA A10 for 2500 miles in three weeks in the UK and not one glitch, so I think I'd better conclude that "The World's Most Popular Motorcycle" is pretty bulletproof too despite all the people who "know" better ....  :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
What's the trip got to do with a "probe" ???? ;D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »
In '13 I rode my Sport to North Carolina and back (from OKC).  I've done two trips to Austin, several to Ark and one to Springfield Ill.  All in the period of a couple of years.

It crapped out 7 miles from home due to bad fuel pump.  Thanks for the tow, Darren.

I plan to ride to Austin in a couple of weeks and perhaps back to Springfield IL and North Carolina again.

It might not be the most comfy bike to ride distances but I maxes the "cool" factor when I get there for sure.  And it's great to ride on those mountain roads.  Once I get the EV sorted, I'll do a few trips on it.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
What's the trip got to do with a "probe" ???? ;D

I read it as a call for a government blue-ribbon committee to be established to determine the facts of this incredible case and come up with rewards and punishments .....  ???

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
In '13 I rode my Sport to North Carolina and back (from OKC).  I've done two trips to Austin, several to Ark and one to Springfield Ill.  All in the period of a couple of years.

It crapped out 7 miles from home due to bad fuel pump.  Thanks for the tow, Darren.

I plan to ride to Austin in a couple of weeks and perhaps back to Springfield IL and North Carolina again.

It might not be the most comfy bike to ride distances but I maxes the "cool" factor when I get there for sure.  And it's great to ride on those mountain roads.  Once I get the EV sorted, I'll do a few trips on it.

I put 42K miles on my old EVERYBODY KNOWS THEY HAVE ISSUES Centauro. Rode it as far west as South Dakota, South to Florida, east to the coast, many many rallies. Never a hint of a problem except had to jump a low battery one time.
Oh, and Sergio could break a rock.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
65,000 miles on my Cali III. The damn tires keep wearing out! What the hell?    :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »
I put 42K miles on my old EVERYBODY KNOWS THEY HAVE ISSUES Centauro. Rode it as far west as South Dakota, South to Florida, east to the coast, many many rallies. Never a hint of a problem except had to jump a low battery one time.
Oh, and Sergio could break a rock.  ;D

That's why I want to be like you and not Sergio when it comes to centauro's
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
Multi valve motors are for pussys!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Vasco DG

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Better go find a piston ported two stroke to ride then. Actually, even better, a deflector piston one. Something like an early BSA Bantam! That'll liven up your day....not!  ;D

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
Multi valve motors are for pussys!

Oh go sleep on your breva :p
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
I ride in a pack with 9 Tiger 1050's.  No issues at all, and we ride them-not baby them.  What are the issues with those Sports?
Mu Guzzi guys don't have issues either, or so they say.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »
The 2-valve Guzzi to own-- a V11 sport/lemans variant.  The 4-valves to own-- all of them.  ;-T 
Any of these will put the grin on.  :BEER:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

redrider

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »
Millicent blew the U-joint and I was down for a week. She discarded the external rocker feed lines and again, down for a week. The starter was flakey but held on until the Valeo came in.

A broken clutch and throttle cable were patched up and ridden home-once each.

All of this happened in a measly 140,000 mile span.

Nothing to report on Sylveeya or Deia.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »
The only surprising part of this report is that Pete rode in the rain  ~; Martin will give him back his "MAN" status  ~;  ;D

Dusty

Absolutely, there I was thinking Grisos needed a van if it rained cos of mayo poisoning, good to know that one's solved

But I know girls that ride in rain, "person" status to be PC !!!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here