Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: New opinions on preferred mesh summer jacket
« Last post by SIR REAL ED on April 22, 2024, 07:34:54 AM »
It depends on you area if I would even entertain a mesh jacket. Last year riding in Colorado and Utah where it is hot and dry a mesh jacket will dehydrate you like beef jerky. I have a non-mesh textile jacket and in those conditions you can soak you undershirt put on a jacket with a couple vents open and 15 minutes later your shirt is bone dry.

In the hot humid eastern USA a mesh jacket is more feasible. I have had them in the past but when its 100 degrees with 90% humidity riding around in the nude would not offer any relief from the oppressive humidity. Its hard to get any evaporative cooling when the air is saturated with moisture so a mesh jacket at least for me offers no significant cooling over a jacket with decent venting.

My biggest thing is I hate it when sweating and the jacket liner is sticking to your skin. I have found long sleeve Under Armour type shirts are a riders best friend.

Good points.  In what type of marinate sauce would you recommend soaking your shirt, to stay hydrated?  Probably good to stick with a local favorite.....   :grin:

I have a First Gear mesh jacket for a couple decades now.  Safety Green.  IMO, cooler than even riding in just a t-shirt due to keep the sun off you.
General Discussion / Re: Stornello Replacement Tires?
« Last post by Dirk_S on April 22, 2024, 07:33:54 AM »
Golden Tyre, or do you mean one of the Golden Boy tires produced by Shinko? I thought most Golden Tyres were pretty aggressive.

I’d be willing to bet that a significant majority of Stornello owners treat their Guzzis like any other V7 and stick to the road. Also—I wouldn’t just ask the Stornello community—after all, aside from a high exhaust, minor map and shock difference, the bike is pretty much the same as all the other V7 IIs, and there are those of us cheaper bastards who probably do more dirt on our Stones than most do on their Stornies. That said, I’m curious about your desire for 60/40s. Is it cosmetic mostly, or do you indeed hit some quasi-junk occasionally? Because that type of knob and compound will wear down fairly quickly. For what it’s worth, I also tend to run 60/40-70/30 usually, and admittedly ride my bike on the road 90% of the time. But then I go out and do an unmaintained road with rocks, ruts, roots, and mud from time to time.

Because I’m cheap, I like the Kenda 761 for more road bias or the 270 if I’m doing a more funky trip like one of the BDRs—I used the 270 for the MABDR and it worked for me. Shinko has comparable tire models— 705 and 244 respectively. I haven’t ridden enough on all of them to say which comparative model I prefer over the other.

For a little less dirt than the 761/705 style, I’ve used the Pirelli MT60. it looks the business and does a fine job on packed dirt until it it reaches 50% of its life, I’ve found. After that, the rear grooves are just too shallow and the rubber too hard, and it begins to slip on dirt fairly easily. That’s at least what I found on my first MABDR attempt. They’d still be good on pavement, though. Also, either the front or rear was an absolute hellion to remove and reinstall once it’s begun to age.

That’s pretty much my experience. I’m building a 21/18 set of wheels to throw onto either my V7 II or III (if I get it titled in time) for parts or all of the NEBDR in June. I’m planning to use the Kenda 270 for the job, since the route description advises at least 50/50.
General Discussion / Re: Goodbye goose hello Triumph
« Last post by SIR REAL ED on April 22, 2024, 07:27:00 AM »
The range of motion of the swingarm on a road bike is small compared to an off road bike.
Also the line joining the two sprocket centres on a road bike passes much closer to the centreline of the swingarm. This all adds up to mean that the slack in a roadbike chain is far more constant as the swingarm moves, than an off road bike.
They are simply not required.

True enough. 

Chain tensioners exist on trials to increase throttle response precision, but even motocross and enduro these days do not have chain tensioners. I suspect since modern chains have nothing in common with the chains of the 60's & 70's quality wise, the demand & benefit is close to zero.

But hey, for those who like to pamper their bikes during oil changes by preheating the motor oil before they refill the engine, or only changing the motor oil with Luciano Pavarotti singing in the background to reduce engine trauma, nothing is too good, right?   :wink:

Years ago, just for giggles, I made a chain tensioner for my Suzuki DR650 (the "Bush Pig" in Straya).  I really could not detect any benefit while riding. Although it did reenforce what I already knew.  Moly impregnated UHMW wears like iron.  It is a great material choice if I need to make a swingarm chain guard or build a low stress bearing.

Plus I know my baby feels special when she is wearing a bit of home made "bling!"  There's more thane way to define "high maintenance" ya know!    :grin:
General Discussion / Re: IL 2024 Bring Your Owen Everything May Campout
« Last post by bad Chad on April 22, 2024, 07:23:07 AM »
Bump.
General Discussion / Re: V85TT fork seal
« Last post by guzzisteve on April 22, 2024, 07:18:15 AM »
It appears to me you can leave cartridge connected to cap, then just remove bolt that attaches it on bottom. Remove as a unit. Change seals & replace unit & fill. 2 different quantity oils L & R.
General Discussion / Stornello Replacement Tires?
« Last post by adventurelounger on April 22, 2024, 07:01:33 AM »
Greetings all. Given that my Storny is still on 8-year old OEM rubber—and the rear is squaring off—I think it’s time to invest in some new shoes.

Bike came with the Golden Tyre “kind of” knobbies. Wondering what other Stornello riders have replaced them with. Same thing? Other mild 70/30 or 60/40 on/off road tires?

And has anyone gone full road tire on their Stornello? Happy? Regrets? (FWIW even though I do 90% of my riding with this bike on pavement, I like playing around on New England dirt and fire roads, and the current tires have served me well for both).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Gonna take her to Jim Hamlin to get re-shod.
« Last post by brider on April 22, 2024, 06:48:44 AM »
My biggest thing is I hate it when sweating and the jacket liner is sticking to your skin. I have found long sleeve Under Armour type shirts are a riders best friend.

100%. I use a wicking shirt now on long summer days in the saddle. And that hot sweatiness is why I remember abandoning the Joe Rocket mesh I had, it was just too hot if you came to a standstill on the road here in CT, and traffic jams are a way of life here. But it was red/black, and I'm willing to try something else again.
General Discussion / Re: Fuel injection hose size/type & are clamps necessary?
« Last post by brider on April 22, 2024, 06:44:12 AM »
The Beemer shop has the very nice connector for the fuel line, more elegant than pure barbed brass finishes if you're interested....or is that the one you're referring to above?

Yes, the "coupler" I bought was the same as the BS. All the previous posts I read steering me to it referred to 5/16" size, but there is NO WAY the free cut-end of my nylon line is going over the 5/16" barb, which is why I suspected a heat-shrink connection (never dealt with that before on a fuel line).

I thought of getting a heat gun, might even do that to soften the existing lines to remove them from their barbs, but I've decided to go back in with the old-school hose & clamps. I don't think clearance is an issue, but I didn't take a real close look when I had the airbox off, guess I'll take a better look the next go-round.
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on April 22, 2024, 06:37:27 AM »
It depends on you area if I would even entertain a mesh jacket. Last year riding in Colorado and Utah where it is hot and dry a mesh jacket will dehydrate you like beef jerky. I have a non-mesh textile jacket and in those conditions you can soak you undershirt put on a jacket with a couple vents open and 15 minutes later your shirt is bone dry.

In the hot humid eastern USA a mesh jacket is more feasible. I have had them in the past but when its 100 degrees with 90% humidity riding around in the nude would not offer any relief from the oppressive humidity. Its hard to get any evaporative cooling when the air is saturated with moisture so a mesh jacket at least for me offers no significant cooling over a jacket with decent venting.

General Discussion / Re: Goodbye goose hello Triumph
« Last post by faffi on April 22, 2024, 05:28:44 AM »
Watch this until you see the chain under dyno testing https://youtu.be/dHe2Lklzr0c?t=270
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here