Author Topic: V7III Throttle Cable  (Read 398 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
V7III Throttle Cable
« on: November 11, 2021, 01:44:22 AM »
I thought some of you V7 owners might be interested in this, a couple of months back I found the return throttle cable on my 3 YO V7 had parted company, the inner cable was in 3 pieces.
I ran for several months with just the pull cable while I waited for Piaggio to send replacements. Today I dissected the cable to see what had happened
Click on the pictures to zoom in.
You can see that the inner cable has rusted through, there was a piece in the middle missing This would have been in the low spot under the tank.
At first I thought this had happened because the cable had never been lubed.

I stripped the plastic off the outer and cut it into pieces with my Dremel. You can see that the whole missing section of inner cable is in really rough shape.
What you can't see is the inner core was covered by a very thin plastic sleeve (not teflon, it has a really low melting point), it appears that the moisture got inside this sleeve and rusted the steel wire away.

I lubed the heck out of the replacement cables they had no lube either, I suspect the thin plastic sleeve is supposed to take place of lube.
Although I ran oil through the length of the cable I suspect the oil will not contact the inner steel wire, it would end up between the plastic sleeve and the outer cable, the inner cable would still rust.
In hind sight I think I should have removed a short section of the plastic sleeve to allow the oil to enter the inner core thus protecting the steel wire.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:16:13 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7III Throttle Cable
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 02:15:33 AM »
I've had success with Barnett cables.

I checked, and they don't have a ready-made cable to fit your bike, but they do make custom one-offs.  Give them a call and see if they can make one for you.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7III Throttle Cable
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 07:29:31 AM »
I've had success with Barnett cables.

I checked, and they don't have a ready-made cable to fit your bike, but they do make custom one-offs.  Give them a call and see if they can make one for you.
I actually purchased some parts and made my own, I thought about telling the dealer to keep the replacements but had a change of heart.
You would never be able to find the special ends so I just re-used these off the broken cable.
I measured the new cables, I will post the dimensions later.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here