Author Topic: New windshield on EV, appears "milky"  (Read 806 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
New windshield on EV, appears "milky"
« on: July 06, 2022, 11:17:29 AM »
Hello Folks, I just installed a new National Cycle Plexistar II shield on my EV, and thanks to the posts others had put up here, made it much easier as far as the mountings, etc. It fits very nice on the EV, but I noticed the acrylic is a bit "milky" looking, or hazy, especially when the sun is hitting it. Has anyone noticed this with a  plexiglass windshield ? I remember reading somewhere that acrylic can absorb moisture, etc.  Any suggestions, or ideas you would like to share?
Thanks
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: New windshield on EV, appears "milky"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
Have you seen folks freshen up plastic finishes by lightly passing a torch over them?

Also thinking of the stuff you can use to renew headlights.. paste & buffer?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »
If it’s brand new it should be Chrystal clear. If not I’d return it for another one.

Dan

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »
Yes its brand new. I had Guzzi windshield that was the same way, it was on the EV touring fairing, but that was many years old. I could never get the "milkyness" out of that one, no matter what I put on it. I have used nothing but Plexus on my windshields over the years, and other Nat Cycle shields I have owned have been crystal clear, but those were polycarbonate, not acrylic.
Rick.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:46:06 AM »
Meguiar Plastix . Least aggressive of plastic cleaner/ polishing compounds  (Some watch repair guys use on plastic watch lenses).  Might just do the trick
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:49:20 AM »
Yes its brand new. I had Guzzi windshield that was the same way, it was on the EV touring fairing, but that was many years old. I could never get the "milkyness" out of that one, no matter what I put on it. I have used nothing but Plexus on my windshields over the years, and other Nat Cycle shields I have owned have been crystal clear, but those were polycarbonate, not acrylic.
Rick.
Even acrylic should be Chrystal clear. Again, if it’s not, there was an issue with the molding process.
If mine, I’d return it if I was not satisfied👍

Dan

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 12:12:26 PM »
I agree, Dan. I purchased it through Chaparral motorsports so returns should be easy. I thing I will give it a couple of days to "bake " in the Arizona sun, and if its still hazy, I will send it back.
Rick.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »
I agree, Dan. I purchased it through Chaparral motorsports so returns should be easy. I thing I will give it a couple of days to "bake " in the Arizona sun, and if its still hazy, I will send it back.
Rick.
Lol, bake all you wish however I don’t think it will change any of the chemical compounds that went into it nor reverse any of the heat related molding process. However good luck with your endeavor.
I have had several of the Plexifairing 2 and 3s. They are great shields and look good on guzzi bikes, especially the California models👍

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
Send it back.  I own one and it's not milky.  There's no reason to fix a defective product and if you make it worse they'll blame you and not take the return.

I'd also trade it for a PF3 and alter it to fit. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 04:20:38 PM »
Hey Guys, I just spoke with National Cycle, sent them a couple of photos, and they are sending me a replacement plastic. Real easy folks to deal with, and it seems they really stand behind their products.
Lowriter, I debated between this shield and the 3, but decided to try the smaller one, and it barely fit behind the turn signals. It did mount up nice, by modifying the lower mounts a bit, as suggested here, by another member.
thanks
Rick

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »
Hey Guys, I just spoke with National Cycle, sent them a couple of photos, and they are sending me a replacement plastic. Real easy folks to deal with, and it seems they really stand behind their products.
Lowriter, I debated between this shield and the 3, but decided to try the smaller one, and it barely fit behind the turn signals. It did mount up nice, by modifying the lower mounts a bit, as suggested here, by another member.
thanks
Rick
Well there ya go, problem solved👍

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: for National Cycle! Shipping things that size isn't cheap to replace a defective one.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
thanks
Rick

You might search the forum how I installed mine, otherwise the turbulence will beat you to death.  I posted a photo.  Basically set it as high up and far back as you can.  I have the headlight opening above the base of the instrument cups. 

I had PF3 it was really good.  It got busted and I ended up with PS2.  Wish I'd gotten a PF3, even if they no longer make it to fit, I'd take a heat gun to it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:53:47 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 11:39:50 PM »
:thumb: :thumb: for National Cycle! Shipping things that size isn't cheap to replace a defective one.

Tom

Not cheap indeed. National cycle normally charges $40. shipping on replacement plastics.
Rick.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 02:34:41 AM »
Apply some Perspex polish and give it a good buffing with a soft cloth on both sides to make sure it doesn't have a residual film on the surfaces.

Phil
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 11:04:39 AM »
I have never heard of perspec polish. Will have to look into it
thanks
Rick

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 01:53:54 PM »
I have never heard of perspec polish. Will have to look into it
thanks
Rick

We used it in a Micromesh polishing kit to restore commercial jet cabin windows. This also.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/autosol-75ml-acrylic-polish_p4461011

Phil
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:43:23 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »
Thank you, Phil! I appreciate the info.
Rick

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here