Author Topic: EPIRB (sort of) for riders  (Read 2338 times)

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
EPIRB (sort of) for riders
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
If you regularly take off into the hinterlands on a motorbike, mountain bike or horse, there are no doubt times when you wonder, "What happens if I crash and hurt myself, and no one knows where I am?". You might be able to phone for help, although that wouldn't be the case if you were knocked unconscious. That's why British telecommunications engineer David Coleman developed the Ridersmate. If you fall off your bike/horse, it automatically sends a text message to let other people know that something's amiss.

Here's how the system works ...

The Ridersmate unit is clipped onto yourself using an included carabiner, while a curly cord attached to the other end of the device is clipped onto your bike/horse (or what Coleman refers to as your "ride"). Should you suddenly part company with that ride, the cord will pull loose from its plug in the Ridersmate, activating it to send a text message via GPRS (general packet radio service).

That message can go to up to three different people of your choice, advising them that you've been in an accident. In case they miss it the first time, it goes out again a minute later. So that they know where to send help, it includes your GPS coordinates and altitude, along with the time that the incident occurred and the speed at which you were traveling when it happened.

You can likewise send a call for help manually, by pressing the device's SOS button. On the other hand, should it all be a big misunderstanding (such as if you got off your ride and forgot to unclip), plugging the cord back in sends a second message that tells everyone to ignore the previous one.

Because it tracks GPS coordinates, altitude, heading and speed – and features Google Maps integration – the Ridersmate can also be used simply to log your various excursions. One charge of its battery should be good for about eight hours of use.

Coleman is currently raising production funds for the Ridersmate, on Kickstarter. A pledge of £199 (about US$300) will currently get you one, when and if they're ready to go.

Full article with video http://www.gizmag.com/ridersmate/35752/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=6730ebc432-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-6730ebc432-89957582

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: EPIRB (sort of) for riders
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
Or, you could just buy a SPOT.  No breakaway lanyard, but I can see that feature of Ridersmate providing lots of false messages.

The fact that they're having to use a "go fund me" type of site to raise funds for production really makes Ridersmate seem shaky/shady.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here