Author Topic: V11 Stone Questions  (Read 1960 times)

190 Octane

V11 Stone Questions
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »
I'm working on transplanting a V11 Sport engine into my 2002 Stone.  We've got it apart and the old engine pulled.  The V11 Sport transplant is from a 2002 model as well, so I want to strip the bubbling/pealing paint and repaint the case before we go in with the new engine.

Any suggestions on what to use to strip the paint?  I've read airplane paint stripper works.  Would a wire wheel work or would it be too rough on the aluminum?  I may just find someone to media blast it.  But I would only want the case blasted, not the cylinders, and I don't want to disassemble the engine.

I bought the engine complete with the sump and oil cooler.  Should I run the oil cooler or swap to the Cali style sump?  I've seen both on on these types of swaps.  I'm in Houston, where it is hot, humid, and I have to deal with heavy traffic, so I'm thinking the cooler is a good idea.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: V11 Stone Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to use the Cali sump, unless you delete the lower frame rail on the Cali.

The V11 Sport/LeMans "broad sump" is quite a bit wider than the standard big block sumps.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »
Aircraft stripper works great. Used it on the tranny I took out of an 03 Stone that had that thick black paint and it took it right off. A small section at a time, a plastic paint scraper for the small stubborn spot, hosed it all off with water and it was very easy. Painted it with silver caliper paint and it looks pretty good. I used the both the spray on and brush on aircraft stripper and the spay on works better but you will use more. Either way it works and not much labor involved.

190 Octane

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
Todd at Guzzi Tech kept the frame rails when he did the swap on his Jackal.  I think he had to remove on of the side stand springs to make it clear. 

That said, I put the G&G sump on my Titanium and really like it.  I wouldn't mind doing the same on the Stone, but I'm worried about slow moving traffic and hot summer days with the V11S engine.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
Todd at Guzzi Tech kept the frame rails when he did the swap on his Jackal.  I think he had to remove on of the side stand springs to make it clear. 

That said, I put the G&G sump on my Titanium and really like it.  I wouldn't mind doing the same on the Stone, but I'm worried about slow moving traffic and hot summer days with the V11S engine.

If you can keep the sump and the cooler, keep them. 

The V11 Sport/LeMans engine is in quite a bit higher state of tune than the California.

Be sure and get a Roper Sloppage Sheet, if the Sport engine doesn't already have one.  Oil pick up is towards the front and can be starved under heavy acceleration and other hooliganesque activities.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:34:46 PM »
If you don't want to strip the motor I'd stay away from
Any media blasting. I s'pose logic says you could seal
everything and do it, but it wouldn't take much of a
mistake to ruin your day .��� or month.

Luck - Maurie.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here