Author Topic: 8 valve Harley?  (Read 30367 times)

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 8 valve Harley?
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Some do vary quite a bit, some not very much. Many but all new vehicles have the engine info gauges controlled by the ECU to display" normal "readings  unless something is really out of specification.. Engines with electric cooling fans can see a 20 degree temperature swing depending driving conditions as the fans switch on an off.
   If you listen,look and feel, the engine has a lot to say .....However on new stuff it's been muffled ,less is better  :grin:

Both the bike and the car have electric fans (one on the bike, two on the car), and both just display oil temps in degrees C, with no indication of what is 'normal'. I suppose both also have idiot lights that will indicate something is amiss, probably after it's too late  :grin:

I hear the bike fan cycle on and off all the time, in heavy traffic. The displayed oil temp varies by maybe 5C max in either direction.

As I said, it's just idle curiousity to me; I've not had a vehicle overheat for many years, even air/oil-cooled bikes. Last one was due to a blown rad on a Honda Accord, which was made obvious by the giant white cloud behind me, no idiot light req'd. When I replaced it I discovered that it, along with the hoses, had been nicely gnawed by a porcupine. Up here there are areas where people park their vehicles in little wire-fenced compounds for just that reason. I was camping and didn't have that luxury.

And yes, I certainly don't mind the muffled bit. A nice tick from the valves at idle on a bike is all I really need to hear. Both the Guzzi and the Beemer are audible and somewhat reassuring. I'd probably worry if I stopped hearing it  :grin: :grin:
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »

Both the bike and the car have electric fans (one on the bike, two on the car), and both just display oil temps in degrees C, with no indication of what is 'normal'. I suppose both also have idiot lights that will indicate something is amiss, probably after it's too late  :grin:

I wired an idiot light into the dash of my race car - it was bright red, about 2.5 inches across, and had the words "NEW ENGINE' on the face.  :evil:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
I wired an idiot light into the dash of my race car - it was bright red, about 2.5 inches across, and had the words "NEW ENGINE' on the face.  :evil:

Was that to warn you that the engine was new or that it needed replacing?  :laugh: :laugh:
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »
They has 3 of them at the Harley store.  I didn't see a radiator on these bikes.   All three were baggers with the narrow front wheel.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
They has 3 of them at the Harley store.  I didn't see a radiator on these bikes.   All three were baggers with the narrow front wheel.

They're not all twin cooled.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here