Author Topic: Corrected Infringement Notice ( Now With Photo )  (Read 16602 times)

Vasco DG

Re: Corrected Infringement Notice
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
I don't think you'll find many motorcyclists will complain about that. As the Walloper said of the last dizzy bint, "You've been talking on it for five seconds with me next to you with my lights on. You have no idea of your surroundings!"

Sez it all really. No call is that urgent. The ones I love are the ones I see from the elevated position in my van where I can look down on people next to me. You would weep if you knew how common it is to see, (Usually young women!) updating their FB as they are driving! Not even stopped at lights, actually driving in traffic in Canberra! On the bike I try not to think about it too much.

Pete

Frulk

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »
Utah legislature just last year approved increasing the speed limit on numerous stretches of highway to 80mph (128 km). UHP appears to be ok with folks doing 85mph on those stretches. Noticed many other areas being increased from 65 to 70/70 to 75 mph as well.   :bike
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:26:32 PM by Frulk »

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Corrected Infringement Notice ( Now With Photo )
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »
Here's my better side  :D,  How did the slow guy ( Phil ) on the Road King and the Leader of the pack ( Rick ) not get pinged too ?

Actually , my most sincere apologies to Rick, that's Warren ( Wazza )  in front on the ever so slow GS BMW, God help me it's like riding with Miss Daisy  :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:01:13 AM by Waterbottle »
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline ozziguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 05:58:50 AM »
In NC, they won't even bother to write a ticket until it's 10MPH over (or in a school zone)

Sounds just like the sort of place i'd like to live.
and
Are you allowed to go to the local library, find a comfy chair and then sleep most of the day
 ;-T
2012 V7 special STB
Kawasaki Drifter
Kawasaki GPZ 500
2012 racer TTB
K75
SV650X cafe
W800 cafe
GB 500
Suzuki Titan T500
Honda MB5 (with a whoppa 100cc engine transplant)
Kawasaki Sherpa
CX 650 (2)
DR 650
Kawasaki BR250 (3)
DR 200
Honda Spadas (3)
Vespa Della Moda

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 05:58:50 AM »

dilligaf

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
Yes, if you can find a library.  ;D 10 over is right much standard here in the US unless........... :BEER:
Matt

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
It's almost like traffic police are in the business of collecting taxes rather than maintaining public safety, or something.

Bingo,Nail head,Exactamundo. You can tell exactly when the monthy quota is due around here. No cops on the roads then 2 or 3 days of seeing everyone and there brother pulled over then back to ghost town.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:14 AM »
Here's my better side  :D,  How did the slow guy ( Phil ) on the Road King and the Leader of the pack ( Rick ) not get pinged too ?

Actually , my most sincere apologies to Rick, that's Warren ( Wazza )  in front on the ever so slow GS BMW, God help me it's like riding with Miss Daisy  :D

Looks mighty close to a red-light violation, too.   ;)

Bill

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »
I've gotten my share of tickets, but when watching my speed I use a sliding scale, my ~15% rule. That is, I figure it is safe to go about 15% above the posted speed limit, so 29 in a 25; 58 in a 50, etc. The problem, of course, is that the speedo isn't perfectly accurate.

Rich A

Bill Hagan

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:44 PM »
I got a ticket in OZ once.

*** Where are you heading was the question? Canberra I said to visit the War Memorial there.

They were very polite as they looked at my drivers licenses. Then they informed me that I had made an illegal u turn in the road and although was legal in Canberra is was illegal in NSW.

They issued me a ticket and told me if I failed to pay the fine before leaving OZ I would be on a watch list and if I ever came back to OZ I could be in big trouble! (ridden 1000's of Ks' in OZ since)

mike :-)

I am generally a defender of the LEO's, but those guys were asshats.   ::(

The rigid refusal to exercise discretion is a bane and has crept into law enforcement over the past few decades.  Their supervisors may insist on that, but cops, like most of us, know how to look the other way if they choose.  [And, yes, BTW, I blame lawyers for much of this mindless lockstep "logic."  :'(]

That's what I think I always liked about Italian cops, especially the ones who have stopped me over the years.  Admittedly, last time in 2006, so mebbe they, too, have changed.  Hope not.

First, the Italian blue-light folks seem to give a polite tourist (with a plausible story!  ;)) way more than an even break.  I never got a ticket, tho Carbs, Polizia, and even a Municipio or three have all stopped me with that red magic wand quite a number of times, and I almost always did not need to be told why. 

Yet, those officers were always polite, and some even near deferential and apologetic when I explained that I was (pick the excuse) in my crippled but ernest Italian.  In fact, my Italian was so bad in that last (2006) incident in Bergamo, that Mike and Sue Craven, riding behind me, can attest that the city cop just through up his hands in amused frustration and waved me on.   ;D

Several friends have gotten camera tix over there and those are hard to argue with "on the spot," but I've luckily missed those evil things except in Washington, D.C.

So, that sort of Ozian shix is pretty off-putting for anyone thinking about a vacation there when one can be a near-hooligan in the Dolomites ... without worrying about 'roo, snakes, and other beasties, including those in uniforms.   :D

Bill

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »

OTOH, while researching,” saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1iw5Vdim8  I like that enforcement.

Bill

....what the hell, he ignores all those wrong way drivers......

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »
When we were in Sweden we were warned that speeding tickets start right at 1 km/h above the speed limit and run about $100/km/h over the limit. They also collect the fine at the time the citation is issued. Same story in Norway. They have speed cameras, which have a great deal of signage, you basically have to be unconscious to miss them.

California: apparently if you drive less than 80 mph in a 55 zone you would be cited for obstructing traffic.

Italy's Autostrada: posted max speed 90 kph, which is strictly observed by trucks and buses in the rightmost lane. Center lane runs about 175-180 kph. Leftmost lane appeared to be around the speed of sound.
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Guess I shouldn't feel bad about getting a warning for 60 mph in a 45.   P:)

I was stupid for waiving at the cop before he turned his light on- actually ignorant, not stupid.  I had no idea I was speeding in the first place.  Glad he didn't catch me before I crested that hill because I was hauling ass then.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
I'm a glass is half full kinda guy.

When I get the occasional piddling speeding fine, I'm just happy they didn't get me the 1000s of other times I was way, way over!

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 06:28:30 AM »
I do think that (in recent years) it has more to do with revenue than with traffic safety.

Recently in the news... a city near here was audited to discover an average of 1,000 speeding citations/year issued. This was five years ago.

Last year - 9,000 speeding citations.

A good friend of mine is Chief Of Police in a neighboring town.  He complains that he is constantly under pressure to issue more and more citations.  Basically, his performance evaluation is directly tied to his revenue stream.

As with speed and stoplight cameras which are operated by civilian enterprises - THIS is nothing short of a revenue machine, clear and simple.

1% of AGI ?  That is criminal.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:30:32 AM by kballowe »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »

Not so different from here in the USA.

Say a guy makes $60,000 a year (sort of normal), and has some credits and losses that make his AGI $40,000.

A 1%-of-AGI fine would be $400.    Not too amazing for, say, 25 MPH over the limit in Virginia, making it reckless driving, along with court costs ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

56Pan

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
I do think that (in recent years) it has more to do with revenue than with traffic safety.

Recently in the news... a city near here was audited to discover an average of 1,000 speeding citations/year issued. This was five years ago.

Last year - 9,000 speeding citations.

A good friend of mine is Chief Of Police in a neighboring town.  He complains that he is constantly under pressure to issue more and more citations.  Basically, his performance evaluation is directly tied to his revenue stream.

As with speed and stoplight cameras which are operated by civilian enterprises - THIS is nothing short of a revenue machine, clear and simple.

Nothing but revenue enhancement.  I'm bad about having a one track mind and working something over upstairs while I'm driving and not paying attention to my speed.  I admit it, and it's no excuse.  Finally broke down and bought a good radar detector a couple weeks ago, and I'm sure it's already saved me getting one ticket.  But it_is_nothing but a big source of revenue for the cops, and the cities.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here