Author Topic: Creeping Techno Fluff on New Vehicles  (Read 19126 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Re: Creeping Techno Fluff on New Vehicles
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
I just bought a late model Nissan Versa. It's got heat, air, CVT transmission, crank windows and a 2 speaker stereo. All manual locks with only one entry key door. No cruise control (I'll probably install one, as I'm a wuss), decent room for my fat self, and 38-40 mpg. Of my motorcycles, only the Honda scooter gets better MPG than the Nissan. Plain as dishwater.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Penderic

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »

Lots of commercial delivery vehicles and associated labor will be soon replaced by robotic drivers/robot truck systems/+software in order to cut costs.

And govt/big business will be tempted to standardize the road technology to make it safer for the robots and not us.

I see Inter-Vehicle wi-fi data sharing, local weather, traffic info and govt fee logging systems, and dozens of little cameras- built into all future public licensed vehicles! For insurance reasons, cough cough, vehicle data would include gps info, and maybe some intrusive intervention, examples = age restriction throttle control, alcohol pre-driving testing, parking and restricted area warnings and penalties  .....vehicle taught behavior modification!

The robots win!  :(

Humans ride motorcycles? Hah! That would be just too dangerous!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:00:33 AM by Penderic »

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
I don't like some of the techno automation that is available, but cars have sure come a long way since the dark days of the mid 1970's. Cars are lasting better than the cars of the 1960's. And we finally have some offerings with good Muscle. I think cars are lasting longer and having fewer problems than cars of Yesteryear.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
I'm very happy with the '98 Subaru, with EFI and electronic ignition. Never had a moment's trouble with this car. Don't need more bling than that (electric windows would be nice for the dog's sake).

To be honest, the reason the T and I have such a long history is that until quite recently I could never afford new parts let alone the labor to install them, so I learned to do everything myself and refurbish or buy used as necessary. More than three decades later, she has never broken down in a way that stranded me -- roadside repair has always gotten me home, an hour or two late.

As I grow older, and my reaction times slower, I suppose I'd be safer on a bike with ABS. But if that carries a risk of stranding by electronic failure I can pass. I certainly will not tolerate having to reprogram anything after normal maintenance.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »
While I am usually first in line for the new tech stuff, some companies have a hard time with it.  Guzzi seems to be one of them, with a few Norge and Stelvio problems due to electronics.  

Beemer bikes have been known issues for years, but, like above, a true beemer owner will not keep a bike beyond the warranty period.  My brother is one of those.  I asked him when he bought his new GS last year and his response was, 'I got the extended warranty but will get a new bike before it runs out'.  If it breaks on the road?  'That's why the warranty has a road service plan.'

I do wish the bike mfgs would get up to speed as the car mfgs have done.  I haven't had an electronics or electrical problem on any car I've bought after 2000.  The truck only has 85000 miles on it so only time will tell.  I think most major bikes these days are pretty bullet proof.  If I wanted to ride and not worry about it I'd get a UJM or maybe even an HD.

I do want ABS.  Traction control?  Maybe, if it is done well, which many are these days.  Rear view camera?  YES.  I put one on my truck and love it.  Will add one to the RV next GPS upgrade.  I love cruise controls and will add that to my ancient Goose pretty soon.

Adding all that extra stuff to the vehicle?  Yes.  For those of us who put a lot of miles on their vehicles I like having that kind of stuff.  Long trips are more pleasant and I can plan the trip easier than looking at a paper map and sticking my finger in the air to see if a major storm is 200 miles from where I am at, or if a major highway is closed, or other issues that will affect my travels.  I would not mind having an autopilot for long distance trips either.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
I would not mind having an autopilot for long distance trips either.

I believe Google has some autonomous cars on the west coast as we speak.. too lazy to google it, though.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »

Lots of commercial delivery vehicles and associated labor will be soon replaced by robotic drivers/robot truck systems/+software in order to cut costs.

That sort of thing has been promised in every mechanix-type and Scientific American-type mag since the 1960s.   

Just like practical, affordable electric cars, backyard fusion generators, personal jet-packs, personal helicopters etc etc etc.

And for the same reason (there are WAY WAY too many variables and too many ways to kill someone), it's not going to happen any time soon.

People aren't very good at driving either, and it's possible that robots might kill fewer than 32,000 people a year, but we can't even make the technology work all the time to make an electronic dash 100% .....

I keep hearing that there's something getting ready to happen "somewhere else" but so far there's no drones delivering packages to my house, and there's still a busy, active guy in brown shorts and sensible shoes behind the wheel of the vehicle bringing parcels to my door with a cheery Thank You ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »
Of all the Techno Fluff available now that wasn't available back when I took three-week rides, the only one I really could have used is the ability to access weather maps at any moment from anywhere.

With that I could have waited out or ridden around many a rain squall.  
1990 MilleGT

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
I bought a base model Subaru Forester last year. The only option I got was a mat for the luggage compartment. Part of this was cheapness, but a lot was because I didn't want all the junk they put on cars these days.

Rich A

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
Of all the Techno Fluff available now that wasn't available back when I took three-week rides, the only one I really could have used is the ability to access weather maps at any moment from anywhere.

"Storm Dodging" is a regular summer sport here ... Trying to get from West Virginia to home down US250 or US60 or US460 on a summer's evening and yet not get wet, can be fun.   Sometimes you go a good bit out of your way.   Sometimes the storm cheats, and a cell forms RIGHT over your head ...

A weather display would ruin it!

Lannis

canuguzzi

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »

RadarNow for Android. It does exactly what you want, costs nothing. I'd dump my smartphone if I had a different solution for that...well, almost.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.usnaviguide.radar_now&hl=en

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
This is why I like my 2010 FJ Cruiser so much. Big 'ol heat control nobs that are fit for a man with gloves on. All basic controls and NO BELLS AND WHISTLES. Love this thing. Even an old style compass my grandparents used to have. Windows aren't crank style. :(
I'm sure this will be the last of these older amenities offered. I don't want that new crap.
Try shopping for a BBQ meat thermometer sometime. OMG have they gotten crazy. Seems there's lots of issues. YOU THINK??  I purchased as basic as I could do it would last. I really don't mind walking up to the smoker to see the temp of my meat. It still has an alarm that goes off when the temp has been reached. That's more than I need.
Crazy the direction of things. I'm all for technology, but not when it's not done well or needed (for me). Off basics and I'll take them 99% of the time.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Creeping Techno Fluff in New Vehicles
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
My Guzzis came from the factory with GPS.
Yep, that's right, they came with GPS.

Gluteus Positioning System, aka the seat. We don' need no steenking techno crap!
I thought people buy motorcycles to "get away from it all" or "clear their heads". Now when folks buy a bike they have to add gizmos.

It's like "time savin.g devices" in our homes. We now have so many we no longer have time to do anything.

:+1   ;-T  I'm with you, brother.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
http://gearheadgrrrl.com/2015/04/15/transportation-taxes-risin-again/

Blog I wrote on Volvo/Mack trucks new system that tracks a truck and can "rat off" the owner if they take it off road, overload it, or otherwise "abuse" it. The key part of the truck they're spying on is their automated manual transmission, for which no rebuild parts are available... You have to buy a rebuilt transmission from Volvo if it fails!

That reminded me of a very large video server and it's $65,000 per year service contract the prior CE signed off on before he retired.  Out of the hundreds of proprietary hard drives it had, we only replaced a handful and needed tech support for minor things so the CEO axed the contract without telling me.  One fine day the server laid down and died.  Every LUN simultaneously lost too many drives to recover and it was dead.  I discovered talking with support that the contract had been cancelled two days prior.  Had I known, I would have disabled the vendor's access to the system.

They were sure sorry to hear about it but had a brand new system they would sell me, and use my station for a tech article in the trades. 

I quit that CEO and that job after putting a different vendor's product on line.  Unauthorized or just unwanted access is never a good thing.  Yes, I believe that the vendor sabotaged the server after losing a $65,000 contract for doing almost nothing.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »

I have a smart phone now, and love using the weather apps.  "My Radar" is a good no-frills choice.

And, I sure wish I'd have had access to a smart phone and weather app during the Virginia National in 2012. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »
I think cars are lasting longer and having fewer problems than cars of Yesteryear.

Yep. Old timers hate it when you point out that a Honda Odyssey minivan is quicker, gets better mileage, and obviously carries more stuff than a Ferrari from the 1950s... but it's true.

(oh, and costs about four million dollars less)
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Well I figure I will keep my old Healey,  Guzzi,3/4 ton international, so when the Aliens come and blast the planet with a giant EMT burst, I'll pick one and be on the way with a magnetic compass and paper maps while all the high tech stuff is toast.

Hope I'm not flying when that happens.    ;D

mike

Don't worry about flying.  Unless the emt burst also disrupts gravity, you'll still come down.   ;D

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
I am wondering if we are heading to the same slippery slope that screwed up visiting a doctor.
The post that states owners are encouraged and often do buy aftermarket "warranties" is to me far more disturbing than the actual electronic farkles. Do we face a future where we won't be able to afford a car without a third party to "protect" us from those HUGE repair bills? Nothing pisses me off  :wife:  worse than huge money-grubbing bureaucracies that shoehorn themselves into every nook and cranny of our personal business under the guise of "protecting" us. It's protection alright! Any Sicilian would see that racket coming a mile away.
I will not buy an aftermarket warranty on a vehicle. I have been offered every time I bought a vehicle from a dealer. And I have NEVER spent what they wanted for protection money in repairs on any of those vehicles, most of which I owned for 10 years or more.
Needless to say, none were German in origin.  ;D
Hunter
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:28:18 PM by Idontwantapickle »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

dilligaf

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
I'd jump in with some words of wisdom  ::) but looks like everything has been covered.  ;-T Carry on.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
To each his own. I don't mind some tech if its useful but I do avoid brand new technologies. After 4-5 years they become so bulletproof, theres little risk in my opinion. I honestly can't remember the last time I had an electrical failure on a car....oh wait, yes, it was the alternator going out on my 1991 Eagle premier at 160k miles. Since that time, I've owned 4 other commuter cars, which have all had over 150k put on by me without ever losing a module, ECU, or even a sensor. Not a single one. As someone who rents cars for work pretty often, I find I like some gadgets. backup cameras with the guide lines to show where you're going. bumper sensors to keep you from hitting cars while parallel parking. the warning lights in the side mirrors to show when someone is in your blind spot. Do I have to have them? certainly not, but they don't annoy me and are sometimes convenient.

What I do really hate to see in all these new vehicles is dash mounted Facebook, pandora, email, etc. I mean WTF? We're telling people they can't hold their phone or text while driving and building a slew of distractions into the dash at the same time. It's ludicrous!
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 04:56:59 PM »

I am wondering if we are heading to the same slippery slope that screwed up visiting a doctor.

Now there's something that I'm convinced that they probably do better in India than here, at least based on what my Indian friends tell me (the ones that live here but only go to the doctor when they visit back home).

No "malpractice" laws in India.   So the doctor's office doesn't have 2 doctors and 6 nurses and 14 insurance processors.    They have 2 doctors and 2 nurses.   You pay for your visit with money.   The doctor makes a little more than an engineer does.  I HEAR that they have the right equipment to deal with you, and that the quality of care is the same or better than here.    A typical 30 minute exam, or a cyst removal, or something similar costs about $90, not $745.

It'd be nice if some doctors would give that a try here.   Probably the AMA or someone would put the kibosh on it .....

Lannis

canuguzzi

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
Now there's something that I'm convinced that they probably do better in India than here, at least based on what my Indian friends tell me (the ones that live here but only go to the doctor when they visit back home).

No "malpractice" laws in India.   So the doctor's office doesn't have 2 doctors and 6 nurses and 14 insurance processors.    They have 2 doctors and 2 nurses.   You pay for your visit with money.   The doctor makes a little more than an engineer does.  I HEAR that they have the right equipment to deal with you, and that the quality of care is the same or better than here.    A typical 30 minute exam, or a cyst removal, or something similar costs about $90, not $745.

It'd be nice if some doctors would give that a try here.   Probably the AMA or someone would put the kibosh on it .....

Lannis

Starting to see a lot of Doctors from India around here. They are very efficient and get right to business. Found them to be detail driven and don't heehaw about things. Have a female Dentist from India and she is absolutely painless and the quality is first rate. Knows all the latest techniques and has top notch equipment. No bonbons in the waiting room because there is no time to wait. Appointment at 10, at 10:01 you are in the chair.

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
  Just solutions to non existent problems.

1st world problems!

Envious of the Int'l Scout.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Leafman, I feel your pain.  I like a lot of things that technology has allowed............ but not on my car and especially on my motorcycle.  Don't want it, don't need it and won't buy it.  I have now moved to the stage of only buying used motorcycles that don't have all this crap on them.  I have owned three ABS equipped bikes and all were nothing but trouble.  A lot of these gadgets will eventually break and you're stranded because the part that broke will be controlled by a circuit board full of electronics.  I have had clutch and brake cables snap over my 45 years of motorcycle ownership and I've always been able to repair them on the side of the road because I always carried spare cables.  Try doing that with "drive by wire" when you're fifty miles from nowhere.  I like the efficiency of fuel injection but you can't repair it yourself if it breaks while you're 100 miles from home.  I hated to buy a bike when they started putting electric fuel pumps on them but I did it anyway; I was rewarded with a broken BMW K bike with a fuel pump that went kaput and the tow home cost me four hours of waiting for the tow truck and a $200 bill for the tow.
So far, I've had good luck with the three Guzzis that I've owned so for the time being, I'll stick with MG but if I give up on Guzzi, I'll probably go back to a BMW airhead from the 80's because of the simplicity and the fact that I can repair the overwhelming majority of things that can go wrong.
NO longer can ride

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
I have a smart phone now, and love using the weather apps.  "My Radar" is a good no-frills choice.

And, I sure wish I'd have had access to a smart phone and weather app during the Virginia National in 2012. 

You're not kidding about 2012, almost lost the LeMans in that storm.  Took four of us to hold it up in 70 mph winds. 
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Nothing pisses me off worse than huge money-grubbing bureaucracies that shoehorn themselves into every nook and cranny of our personal business under the guise of "protecting" us.

This is why we distrust government and loathe monopoly corporations.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
1st world problems!

Envious of the Int'l Scout.

Harley's going to wish they were back in the 1950's themselves.   I hear that they're having to recall 40,000 + Big Twins because the hydraulic clutches are goofing and letting air in, and will let the bike start in gear ....  "Shoulda taken the SP!"

Because they wouldn't have that problem with a Panhead "mousetrap" clutch booster and a cable.

That clutch that Harley fitted on every bike from 1949 to 1984 was bulletproof (I had a '54, a '65, and an '84).

NOW they've gotten all uptown and 21st century and are recalling 46,000 bikes. Cost 'em millions, that will ....  But do they listen to me?   Listen they will not ...  ;)

Lannis

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
.... I find I like some gadgets. backup cameras with the guide lines to show where you're going. bumper sensors to keep you from hitting cars while parallel parking. the warning lights in the side mirrors to show when someone is in your blind spot. Do I have to have them? certainly not, but they don't annoy me and are sometimes convenient.

What I do really hate to see in all these new vehicles is dash mounted Facebook, pandora, email, etc. I mean WTF? We're telling people they can't hold their phone or text while driving and building a slew of distractions into the dash at the same time. It's ludicrous!

;-T

There was a thread here a while back where someone pointed out a vehicle commercial where the driver needed backup camera, parking assist, lane departure warning, emergency stopping assist, etc. . . 

I'd like to see someone do a spoof commercial where the announcer (Mike Rowe or Morgan Freeman) throws heat on the viewer by saying "you're really too much of an idiot to be behind the wheel, so save yourself and others - from yourself - with the all new ______ ."
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Penderic

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
Its Fer the children! The stupid, rebellious children that play in the darn middle of the street.  ::(

Laser targeting, crowd suppression, armored urban personal safety vehicle?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:34:59 PM by Penderic »

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2015, 12:11:42 AM »
I guess an MG is kinda the other extreme of the new fangled farkles and all that. You have a car that was designed and built by a company that couldn't give a crap about making a quality product.

My uncle bought his wife an austin healy as a present. He said he would never sell that car to anyone in the family after owning it for a few years.

Honestly with the new cars, most of the technology is to the point now where it's not likely to fail, at least not the stuff that has been around for a while. I don't see the need for all the things like remote start, keyless entry and tailgates that close themselves. Those are things I wouldn't buy, but those that I must have are ABS and airbags. When it comes to safety those things pay for themselves.

On motorcycles... K.I.S.S.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here