Author Topic: Ipothesys Griso- Serious Interest  (Read 18231 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Ipothesys Griso- Serious Interest
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:33:23 AM »
This has been posted before but I am becoming pretty seriously horned up to get one.  I soured on the Motus but the Ipothesys is about the same money and I like it better.

Anyone here have any experience with these or seen one?

http://www.ipothesys.com/

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:34:04 AM by leafman60 »

Vasco DG

Re: Ipothesys Griso- Serious Interest
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:08 AM »
No matter what it looks like and whether you like it or not it won't work very well.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »
No matter what it looks like and whether you like it or not it won't work very well.

Pete

Hey Pete.  Could you please elaborate on that?  What makes the Griso platform one that does not work well? I have friends in Europe who like the Griso, especially with shock upgrades.

Some interesting video of the bike-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFFT_nJH4MY&list=PLVy8Z_z-WVp9ws6j2cS3ad7iTl1iNYlpt

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:19:39 AM by leafman60 »

beetle

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
It's a bit head-down-bum-sporty.  My old bones not likey. :laugh:

Do you have any specs? The web is chock-full of pics, but not a lot of detail. I did a quick add up of the kit prices. The prices for the subframes, rear sets and tank etc were missing, but all the other stuff added to approx 10,000 Euro. :shocked:

My Griso 1400 project looks cheap now.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
No matter what it looks like and whether you like it or not it won't work very well.  Pete

I can see the reason for Pete's comments:  K&N filters and shorty pipes.  My 8V Griso ran like a dream after Beetle spent countless hours refining a map to work with the stock airbox and stock or Db reduced exhaust.

I think that bike is a work of art but agree with Pete that "streetable" would not be a term many apply to it.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
I can see the reason for Pete's comments:  K&N filters and shorty pipes.  My 8V Griso ran like a dream after Beetle spent countless hours refining a map to work with the stock airbox and stock or Db reduced exhaust.

I think that bike is a work of art but agree with Pete that "streetable" would not be a term many apply to it.

It's a stock engine subject to map tuning just like any Griso, Stelvio or Norge.  Input I have from Europe is that it is, indeed, very street worthy and awesome on a curvy road.

I love the ergonomics.

Why will it not work well?

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
If my numbers ever came in I'd be after it in a hearbeat. 
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »
I couldn't give a damn what it looks like but I can assure you that it's induction and exhaust specifics will make it run dreadfully. This isn't a 'Mapping' issue, there are some things you can't change with a new map, it's the actual physical parameters of the engine, how it is designed, how it pumps and the harmonic factors that govern how efficient it is. The lack of air box and silly little pipes will ensure that there will be several points in its operational range where it's VE will be woeful. It doesn't matter how good your AFR is if there is only a weeny bit of mixture in the cylinder when the inlet valves close and the charge is contaminated by end-gas from the previous cycle.

Pete

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
For Motus money...I'd consider this: http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/ace/configurator/

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
I couldn't give a damn what it looks like but I can assure you that it's induction and exhaust specifics will make it run dreadfully. This isn't a 'Mapping' issue, there are some things you can't change with a new map, it's the actual physical parameters of the engine, how it is designed, how it pumps and the harmonic factors that govern how efficient it is. The lack of air box and silly little pipes will ensure that there will be several points in its operational range where it's VE will be woeful. It doesn't matter how good your AFR is if there is only a weeny bit of mixture in the cylinder when the inlet valves close and the charge is contaminated by end-gas from the previous cycle.

Pete
Pete,Pete,Pete, nobody cares how things run or are engineered these days its all about the look and the perception. When the rear wheel throws water straight at the air filter on a wet ride will it matter? hell no.....you'll just sit around drinking coffee till everyone leaves before you get on and cough and splutter away up the road.
Exhaust system?.....stying oportunity...nothin g more. Riding position?.....about your reflection in the shop window at the lights. Registration compliance?......not applicable for bobbers and stylisters apparently.
My suggestion to the original poster is buy one, you cant go wrong.

Ciao

PS. Checked the actual website and the airfilter now has a splash guard and the exhaust system has larger mufflers as well as licience plate holder and streetable accessories.
It adds up to around 8500euros plus the cost of the basic (?) kit and a Griso to start with.
You could probably make it run acceptably well for the stylers because lets face it if you actually want a cutting edge sports bike you wont be looking at a Griso to start with. So we are back to the  original theme, built for show and styling about not for real riding. Is going to be a fat lardy slow uncomfortable sports bike (and thats what the riding position and styling screems) and you have completely destroyed the minamilist "GT" urban warrior theme of the Griso.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:30:03 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
What is wrong with the Griso as it is?
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline double.d

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »

The Griso, as it basically is has been around for 8 years and the only reason they get noticed is cause there aren't many around.
1986 Le Mans IV Black Since New
2014 K1300 R Black German Starship.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »

Pete
????ummm??... Yeah.. Like you said.... My AFR was All Frigg'n Right then it went woeful on me. And the VE.* ChaH! mine bites. Dude... radical rims though.
(can we switch back to English? .. have no idea WTF you are talking about. .... really... none.)
I will say that the bike is absolutely gorgeous even if in a living-room-centre-piece kind of way.
Give me/sell me a Lemans III in white; 900ss got nothing on that.

One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:14 PM »

For me; the seat sucks. Good for about twenty minutes.

Stock suspension is dialed in way too off for a 160lb weeny like me. 95% of the riders will need adjustment - but this is easily fixed by a pro. And cheap!

For taller guys (or guys with well endowed inseam) find the pegs are too high.

Stock mapping is not bad (from 2012 on ward; but subject to opinion, I found it OK) but can be improved - cheaply - thanks to folks like beetle and Pete.

They don't make the green tenni version anymore so that is a problem........ :BEER
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

beetle

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:14 PM »
A quote from another forum:

Some folks want BIG, BAD, LOUD bikes and don't give a rat's ass about anything other than bragging rights and $$$ they have spent.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
The Griso, as it basically is has been around for 8 years and the only reason they get noticed is cause there aren't many around.
So is it about getting noticed or having a decent motorcycle that does what it'd designed to do.
I look at shows from the states on cars and bikes and figure it must be an easy place to run a business because you seem to be able to sell any old rubbish as long as it fits the one major criterior....it has to be "different".
Doesnt matter if its complete and total rubbish technically and/or dynamically as long as its "different" and the Europeans are catching on by the number that seem to either be moving over there to conduct business or selling into the US market.
Am I missing something? 
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Dave, don't seem to be getting much love here. It must be hell to have a pocket full of money with nothing with nothing to throw it at.
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Vasco DG

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 11:42:48 PM »
It's got nothing to do with Dave. He can buy whatever floats his boat. It's the crappy, piss-poor engineering and snake oil that pisses me off. While I think that bike is about as ugly as a hat full of farty arseholes what offends me is it won't work very well. It annoys the living day lights out of me it's being promoted as a 'Performance' vehicle when really it is the motorcycle equivalent of a performing seal! A performing seal that's had one flipper surgically removed and is expected to balance a deflated ball on its nose!

Pete

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 06:07:44 AM »
Well, aesthetics can be a matter of taste...yet industrial design has rules. I respect, though don't know enough, about the latter to pass judgment on the Ipothesys. No matter what, I wouldn't get so emotional about it.  I guess due to my business I see a lot of aesthetic crimes done with boats that make me scream- so I can understand Pete's emotional outburst (we all know that he is a sensitive man).

The most interesting bit to me was Pete's comment on airboxes. I never understood the technical reason behind them. Still not sure I get it, but it seems to make sense.

Phil, don't even start to whine about people's taste in the states. It has nothing to do with if you are correct (which I don't think you are), it has to do with decent manners and being that Euro twat who believes that xenophobia and political correctness stops when it comes to making offensive generalizations about the US.     
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 07:37:46 AM »

Teo Lammers has put one of these kits together and I would contact them about what they thought about the bike and how it performs.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »
Double Butt Fugly
  :boozing:

Stuff a K&N in a few inches from the grit of the rear wheel.  :shocked:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

jlburgess

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
That's odd.  The graph shows more torque than stock at a LOWER rpm.  I would have guessed a loss of torque and more top end hp...  Maybe I'm not reading it right?  :popcorn:

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
This has been posted before but I am becoming pretty seriously horned up to get one.  I soured on the Motus but the Ipothesys is about the same money and I like it better.

I sorta like Ipothesys, too.  But with a Griso being $12490 and a Motus being @$35000, I'm really wondering what they've done to the Griso to make it cost as much as a Motus.

Seriously.  Three times the price of a Griso for an Ipothesys?

If I had the cash, I think I'd take another look at the Motus.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
I love this looks.  Can't speak to the engineering, as im not an engineer...  tho none of the people bashing it in this thread are engineers either and that doesn't seem to slow them down a bit in claiming that it hasn't been properly engineered  :boozing:

If you like it, buy it... whats the worst that can happen?  You spend a bunch of money on it, they spend hours and more money 'sorting out' any niggling issues??  And then sell it and lose a little money on the deal??  That sounds like Guzzi ownership!

I'd buy it and ride the wheels off...
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Oca

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
Where can I find the fairing?
Santa Rosa Valley, CA
'06 -- 1100 Breva -- GONE
'12 -- Stelvio NTX 1200 (burnt orange) -- GONE
'14 -- Griso 1200 SE

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
Here is a Griso in Wisconsin with the Ipothesys exhaust and relocated oil cooler:

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline motrhead

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
Expensive, impractical and flawed? Yes. But it is beautiful. That fairing is stunning. Seat is too thin, and the tail stops too soon, but all in all it is beautiful. I would put that fairing on a Griso, if it fit...
'03 V11 LeMans
'11 Stelvio

canuguzzi

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »
Maybe someone has a sound track to upload or link to of the Ipothesys running> I listened to the Motus and the run by was awesome. The revs were disappointing because it seems like they recorded in some warehouse to make it sound better, sounds bland.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
I think that is a beautiful bike. It seems to pay homage to the MGS-01 and Daytona 1100 sport yet still be it's own thing. It's been styled very well, and when they're boosting peak HP by 20 and bringing the peak HP down to 5k rpm... I bet that's a lot of fun to ride.

Would I buy one though? Only if I had more money than what I knew what to do with, that looks about as comfortable as sitting on a 2x4. And only after I'd bought a Bimota Tesi 3D.

jlburgess

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »
I think that is a beautiful bike. It seems to pay homage to the MGS-01 and Daytona 1100 sport yet still be it's own thing. It's been styled very well, and when they're boosting peak HP by 20 and bringing the peak HP down to 5k rpm... I bet that's a lot of fun to ride.

Would I buy one though? Only if I had more money than what I knew what to do with, that looks about as comfortable as sitting on a 2x4. And only after I'd bought a Bimota Tesi 3D.

I think that graph is the torque curve.  Either that or it makes outstanding HP just off idle!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here