Author Topic: Countdown to launch -- with pics  (Read 17221 times)

twowings

Re: Countdown to launch -- with pics
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 08:23:17 PM »
You deserve a magazine feature story for that masterpiece, sir! Kudos!   :bow:

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
Looking great RK, best of wishes on your trip!

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 07:17:51 PM »
Ditto the Happy Trails, rodekyll :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »
Great job RK. The rider position looks more comfortable than my Grand Marquis. I would love to get your opinion of a comparison between a  standard big tired trike and your narrower design. Yours certainly looks better.Good luck.I know how worrysome those maiden voyages can be.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 08:35:11 PM »
Well, Dave;

Wish I could see that musheen in person at John Day but.  You know enough folks in the N/W you ought to have a good trip, even if it's a little bit of an adventure!
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »
Gearman -- I've never seen a big wheeled trike up close and personal.  The distance I did see them at made me know I didn't want to go there with this design, and aside from general theory, I didn't do much looking at other people's ideas -- I had my own.  So I have no way to compare it to a real land yacht.  Maybe some trike driver along the way will test ride it for me and tell you all how it compares.

Sourdough -- The trike is mobile.  I hope mobile enough to make it to the Midwest.  So I might be dropping in on your local events.  Who's to say?

In celebration of getting the trike out of reach, I slept in today without feeling guilty.  Not that I haven't slept in while it was being built, but when it was here I felt guilty about it.

Offline Wade

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »
That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long while. Thanks for building it and thanks for sharing. :-)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »
I guess about the best thing I can say about it is that it looks like a factory, Guzzi Servi-car. A very professional looking finished product - something to be hugely proud of.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

canuck750

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
Your machine looks just right! Well done, looking forward to seeing it in person

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 12:53:48 AM »
I guess about the best thing I can say about it is that it looks like a factory, Guzzi Servi-car. A very professional looking finished product - something to be hugely proud of.

Todd.

Well, that's about the best thing a person could say about it.  Thanks.  I tried to make it look like I planned it that way.  If you look at it from all the angles and decide that it was a unified concept, then I was successful.   :azn:

Your machine looks just right! Well done, looking forward to seeing it in person

Just bring that alternator cover.  I've already packed the JB Weld.  I'm dying to install it.  I'm thinking it will be a heck of a conversation starter at gas stops.   :evil:

Offline DeeG

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2016, 11:26:11 AM »

That is the coolest thing EVER!!!!  Cannot wait to see it in person.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Where is rifle scabbard?   :boozing:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
That is the coolest thing EVER!!!!  Cannot wait to see it in person.

Thanks, Dee -- it's headed your way!

Where is rifle scabbard?   :boozing:

You think you're being funny.  It's a 4" x 2' schedule 40 tube mounted almost vertically behind my left leg in the space between the seat and the left side fuel tank.  It also is good for a pick and shovel or fishing pole.  Someone said it would be good for a patio umbrella too, but I don't see that.

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:47 PM »
Someone said it would be good for a patio umbrella too, but I don't see that.

Tooling at slow speeds through the sunny campground, you'll need to keep your delicate skin away from those harmful rays.   :grin:

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 12:45:40 AM »
Somehow "Two Mules for Sister Sarah" springs to mind.   :laugh:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:25 AM »
Ride safe and all the best on your shake down trip.

May you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed following your project from it's inception. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:20 AM »
Thanks muzz, you've been supportive since the inception.  I appreciate that.  :)

My flight to Seattle is booked.  I touch down to meet the trike Tues/21st @ 1:25P.

Anyone want to meet the flight and drive me to the warehouse on E. Marginal Way?  You'll be the first to get a look at it.   :angel:

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
Gearman -- I've never seen a big wheeled trike up close and personal.  The distance I did see them at made me know I didn't want to go there with this design, and aside from general theory, I didn't do much looking at other people's ideas -- I had my own.  So I have no way to compare it to a real land yacht.  Maybe some trike driver along the way will test ride it for me and tell you all how it compares.

Sourdough -- The trike is mobile.  I hope mobile enough to make it to the Midwest.  So I might be dropping in on your local events.  Who's to say?

In celebration of getting the trike out of reach, I slept in today without feeling guilty.  Not that I haven't slept in while it was being built, but when it was here I felt guilty about it.
Thanks RK. As we get older a sleek trike like yours appeals to people like me.Looking forward to your ride reports.

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
Wonderful!  I just have 2 questions - Does it have a reverse and will it do a wheelie?  (just concerned about your exhaust tips here :evil:)
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
Gearman -- I became convinced that my theory for the transmission would work based on your project.  So if mine doesn't work out, I'm blaming it on you.

SO THERE!

RT-- Yes, it will go backwards at at least 43 miles an hour for probably about 300 miles.  Paced by a city cop driving almost alongside as I made like a pinball between lightposts on the PBY taxiway.  Any more is scary.  on account of the steering is mighty twitchy in backwards. It's impossible to control faster than about 10mph.  :shocked:

It will not pull a wheelie even with forklift assistance.  :cry: We tried to stage a pic with the front end in the air and couldn't figure out how to hide the props.  I wanted it to look like the Wyoming cowboy logo with me standing up in the saddle, fanning the side cover with a helmet.  It was a waste of a couple sunny hours and I was very disappointed.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »
Found some new pullover waterproof bib overalls at the marine supply store, where I do most of my m/c clothing shopping.  Grunden.  On sale for $63 out the door.  I got them big to go over boots in a hurry.  They had some super nice lined ones for $100, but alas, no bib.  I decided this time around I was going with a ridiculously high waist.  These do it.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 01:49:29 AM »
 :gotpics:
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 02:09:39 AM »
There are a bunch of pics on the first page, John. . . . or do you mean the rain gear?  It's camo colored, so it's impossible to photograph.

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:57 AM »
Great choice for paint color.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

papa

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Being new to this group I had not seen this trick before today.......mind is blown away.

What a fantastic job.

I went to roadkyll's posts looking for photos of the build and found over 500 pages....lol

Is there a post of the build up of this machine?

kirby1923

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »
Here is wishing you luck with your T!
Your about to prove me wrong about the concerns I had with you torque converter!

Tailwinds

mike

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 05:06:20 PM »
There are a bunch of pics on the first page, John. . . . or do you mean the rain gear?  It's camo colored, so it's impossible to photograph.

I did mean the rain gear, yes.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Fuzzy

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
Probably the best floorboards ever...Great job!

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
Here is wishing you luck with your T!
Your about to prove me wrong about the concerns I had with you torque converter!

Tailwinds

mike

Or I will prove you right.  If you are right, this is going to be one of the more spectacular failures in maybe the entire history of Alaska home-built-trike-based spectacular failures.  If I pull up to the gate without anything dragging or on fire, it will be epic in a personal-best sort of way.  But with either outcome I'm Shirley.  Gonna prove something.

Probably the best floorboards ever...Great job!

FB's still need carpeting.  Right now they're faced with the plastic bumper tops from a Ford Pickup.  I'm trying to find some sort of good adhesive instead of these stupid screws and finishing washers.  I'm bringing carpet along to finish it up.  Someone will have a good idea for gluing it on.

Lots of tools and 'stuff' on this trip for those little undone tasks, but they give me something to do in the evening when I'm bored.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
Or I will prove you right.  If you are right, this is going to be one of the more spectacular failures in maybe the entire history of Alaska home-built-trike-based spectacular failures. 

I suspect that the data base, especially Guzzi based ones may be pretty small. :grin:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Waiting......... Either way, I really hope that your efforts prove successful. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here