Author Topic: For those of us in the Southwest, Aug 18-21, 2016 - 25th NEW MEXICO RALLY  (Read 19341 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: For those of us in the Southwest...
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Looks like I can make it to the NV rally in Dayton, NV.  Wherever that is.  Mapquest is your friend. :grin:

It's south of Reno, just east of Carson City - but it doesn't really exist, it's just a 'census designated place'  :grin:

Take your passport - while you're there, you can visit the Republic of Molossia!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
"census designated place"....WTF is that?   :grin:  The census bureau puts out over a loud speaker "Gather here so that we have numbers for the census and can count you.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »
"census designated place"....WTF is that?   :grin:  The census bureau puts out over a loud speaker "Gather here so that we have numbers for the census and can count you.  :grin:

You're not far off - it's usually a place that has a locally recognized name, might have had an official existence in the past (a town that no longer has its own government, for example), and might have a post office - but no legal existence. The people of Dayton have their own post office, but their town (once the county seat) ain't what it used to be!

In rural areas throughout the west, as mining and cattle and farming towns lost ground and were bypassed by railways and Interstates, many have become 'census designated places'.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
Does anyone out there know "Cecil" from Gallup, NM and have his email? (pictured here). :cool:   If yes, PM me as I would like to send him a message.  Thanks in advance.

JJ

JJ, call Matt.  He knows Cecil.  I used to have his number but lost it when I changed phones.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 08:19:08 PM »
You're not far off - it's usually a place that has a locally recognized name, might have had an official existence in the past (a town that no longer has its own government, for example), and might have a post office - but no legal existence. The people of Dayton have their own post office, but their town (once the county seat) ain't what it used to be!

In rural areas throughout the west, as mining and cattle and farming towns lost ground and were bypassed by railways and Interstates, many have become 'census designated places'.

Looking at riding east from Portland then maybe meet former neighbor in west Ut. and ride over to the rally.  That's the plan.  Whether it comes off is another question.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »

Don't know for sure...but I suspect DATIL is one of those "CDP's"......Census Designation Places! :rolleyes: :angel: :wink: :shocked: :cool:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:35:12 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
IIRC, there used to be a little town on the Beeline Hwy in Az that was a post office and diner.  They made the news cause the husband was upset that his wife didn't vote for him as mayor.  He was already the postmaster and 'owned' the diner so she said he was spread too thin.  Of course she voted for herself as mayor.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »
You thinking of Rye?  Where the motorcycle junkyard is?  https://selvedgeyard.com/2009/02/23/all-bikes-a-rye-sense-of-humor/

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 05:19:54 PM »

Don't know for sure...but I suspect DATIL is one of those "CDP's"......Census Designation Places! :rolleyes: :angel: :wink: :shocked: :cool:

Give the man a cigar! According to Wikipedia "Datil is a census-designated place in Catron County, New Mexico, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 54."  :grin:
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
You thinking of Rye?  Where the motorcycle junkyard is?  https://selvedgeyard.com/2009/02/23/all-bikes-a-rye-sense-of-humor/

No, before that, closer to where the old dragstrip was.  But, remember I was about 9 at the time, so 54yrs ago :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 05:31:08 AM »

As you know, that motorcycle junkyard in RYE is now gone, and no longer there, as of May 2016  :rolleyes: :shocked:

(Photo by Jack Stein of the VJMC)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:19:01 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
He must have bent a lot of noses out of joint.  He was a little difficult to buy stuff from.  The rest of the bike wrecking yards that I know of where in PHX near the river bottom which is now most park.  The bike junkyard near the Beeline dragstrip must have been gone long before I showed up.  :tongue:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
The bike junkyard at Rye was closer to Payson.

The little town closer to Beeline dragstrip was just a diner/postoffice.  IIRC the same building was also their house.

I am surprised Datil has more than 10 residents.  City limits must be larger than it looks.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »
Okay......."nevah mine".  :shocked:  Didn't know that they shut down the dragstrip.  Of course, last year I only rode over to Tortilla Flats.  Wasn't looking for the dragstrip.  Seems the Pima Indians are making more money from other ventures. :1:

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
Hi JJ,

Made my reservations today.

For those who are riding in, the Phoenix contingent stays at The Largo Motel in Quemado.
Nice place, fair prices.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
I'll be camping at the BLM camp ground. Wi-fi, very few if any Phoenix people.......  :rolleyes:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »
I was going to try and make it.  Had an invite from Matt.  Fly in and I could stay with him and the minature horse.  I was looking at riding down from Portland but looks like I'd have to be back at work the following Monday which would be 3000 miles West in the Deep, deep south.  Have fun you guys.  Looks like I can make it to the NV rally in Dayton, NV.  Wherever that is.  Mapquest is your friend. :grin:

Went to the Nevada Rally last summer.   Only the hard core show up.  :tongue:   Talk about being catered!  All the micro beer you can drink is part of the menu.   :boozing:  Got a T shirt to prove I was there.  :thumb:

I plan to make the Datil Rally on the white Convert. that was given away last year there.  It's in my garage now with a few changes for the better, IMHO.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:20:18 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 02:21:21 AM »
Hi JJ,

Made my reservations today.

For those who are riding in, the Phoenix contingent stays at The Largo Motel in Quemado.
Nice place, fair prices.

Mike

Hi Mike -

Leaving Charlotte, NC this morning, back in Vortex-country this afternoon.  Will make reservations at the legendary LARGO MOTEL in Quemado on my return.  Have to be in San Francisco on business July 11-14 (next week).  Have to be in China / Taiwan / South Korea / Singapore on business Aug. 1-16.  ("WHEW!") :shocked:

Also have to get my Centauro down to Tom Hull before then to get all my upgrades installed before Datil.  Don't know how I am going to manage all this, but will try.  Moby Dick on standby just in case! :rolleyes: :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »
Made some Kalbi ribs for dinner tonight w/Kim chi and rice.  Had some miso soup with it. :drool:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2016, 12:29:14 AM »
It's south of Reno, just east of Carson City - but it doesn't really exist, it's just a 'census designated place'  :grin:

Take your passport - while you're there, you can visit the Republic of Molossia!

The campsite is a county park with signs to find it.  :azn:

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »
>Also have to get my Centauro down to Tom Hull before then to get all my upgrades installed before Datil.  Don't know how I am going to >manage all this, but will try.  Moby Dick on standby just in case

You may remember Tom takes off for a month or two in the summer.  :thewife: :thewife:  He visits his brother in cool New York.  You should contact him when you get back and confirm he will be around.  tdhull at cox dot net.  Otherwise Moby may be your option.  Let me know if you need any help.  Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2016, 07:06:32 PM »
>Also have to get my Centauro down to Tom Hull before then to get all my upgrades installed before Datil.  Don't know how I am going to >manage all this, but will try.  Moby Dick on standby just in case

You may remember Tom takes off for a month or two in the summer.  :thewife: :thewife:  He visits his brother in cool New York.  You should contact him when you get back and confirm he will be around.  tdhull at cox dot net.  Otherwise Moby may be your option.  Let me know if you need any help.  Mike

Hi Mike! :cool:  Yes, he actually takes 2 months off and is back Aug. 1st.  Andy has been in contact with him. 

I made my LARGO Motel reservations today - - two nights - Friday and Saturday.  Datil or Bust! :thumb: :cool:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
Sadly, due to my work / travel schedule, (I'll be in Shanghai, Taipei, Toykyo, and Singapore Aug. 1-15), so it does not appear that I will able to get all my upgrades completed on my '98 Centauro GT in time for the Datil Rally.

Oh well, that's why its always good to have a back-up ride! :thumb: :cool: (photo by JJC)

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
I heard your sigh of relief all the way down in Phoenix.....  :rolleyes:

While I like to tease you about your Whale, I would like to have a bit touring cruise myself.  :drool:
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
"Whale"............bwahahh hhhhh.  :grin: :grin: :grin: 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
At the end of the day....."Hell Hath No Fury like....Moby Dick!"

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
I heard your sigh of relief all the way down in Phoenix.....  :rolleyes:
at
While I like to tease you about your Whale, I would like to have a bit touring cruise myself.  :drool:

@ Ronzo-Boe-Boe  :cool: - - Actually, I am a bit "bummed out!" :sad:  The Centauro fits me well and is quite comfortable to ride. I don't think there would be any issues on a long trip.  You have to stop every 100 miles (due to poor MPG) anyway to gas up!

However, Andy talked me out of it because if something happens to that motor - it becomes a 550 pound paperweight.  I have all the upgrade parts, but Tom Hull on vacation and no time to get is all done because of my travel schedule.  Oh well, I'll be riding to Datil, and that's all that matters! :cool:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
Indeed, you will be in the wind. We need to schedule a Pie Town meet like last year. That was a hoot!
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline kmartin

• Hatchling
I'm beginning to look forward to this.  I've started route planning, looks like I'll stay in Payson or Show Low on Wed night, and camp the rest.  I haven't seen most of you guys in a while, well I guess Ron and Wayne were last October, buts its been several years for JJ.

Keith
Keith Martin

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
I'm beginning to look forward to this.  I've started route planning, looks like I'll stay in Payson or Show Low on Wed night, and camp the rest.  I haven't seen most of you guys in a while, well I guess Ron and Wayne were last October, buts its been several years for JJ.

Keith

@ Keith - The area around Datil is beautiful and a >7000 feet (Continental Divide) so nice and cool! :cool:

@ Ronzo - YES!  A big, fat SLICE of pie at Pie Town is a tradition!  :grin:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here