Author Topic: Moto Guzzi's Future  (Read 24702 times)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Moto Guzzi's Future
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
QUOTE...those ADV/multipurpose bikes are perfect for middle-aged geezers like myself

Summed up in one comment:  "Morphing into full-blown GeezerDom..."  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 11:01:19 AM »
Sport touring will always be around...if only for the travelers who don't get into the really heavy touring bikes. In time, the ADV and the Retro thing will become pass� and some other interpretation of moto-joy will emerge...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
MG has obviously been run very carefully by smart Piaggio managers and bean counters over the last 13 years, as careful, inexpensive development and niche targeting has created a popular bike for beginners (and hipsters), the V7 series, and the Cali series for cruiser folk. V7s are very good looking retro bikes, but, they are beginner's bikes, as created by MG. Me, no way my 6'1"+ self will own one of these tiny 50-HP machines. A fella needs passing power!

Nor am I into 750+ LB. cruisers, I have zero use for them. But, again, the Calis and offspring are beautifully designed, engineered, and built bikes; just not for me.

The Griso was truly inspired and certainly competitive with others, as are the current V7s and Cali ranges, proving MG certainly knows how to build bikes competitive in today's market.

MG was not a budget brand, nor is it now; comments to that effect are in error. MG is, in fact, a premium brand, as the quality of the current bikes evidence; Piaggio would bristly strongly at MG being thought of as a budget maker of weird bikes for oddballs, as model ranges over the last ten years prove. The build quality of Guzzis over the last many years has been terrific, better than most, especially the likes of BMW. And, original Eldos, Ambassadors, V7s, Le Manses, were not cheap budget bikes, and did several important things better than most other brands; and some worse.

Thus, it will take little for the a revamped mill for a new Griso--hopefully watercooled--to become the basis for a proper Le Mans. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is that Piaggio--again--is running MG carefully, with en eye on the bottom line.

Finally, the only reason CARC MGs (Griso, Stelvio) have been subject to discounts over the last years is their age and general uncompetitiveness; Piaggio/MG left them on the counter too long.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:45:27 PM by Kristian »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
V7s are very good looking retro bikes, but, they are beginner's bikes,

Gee, I sure hope I grow out of my beginner phase of riding soon... Maybe year 37 will be the year I get to graduate to "intermediate rider", as voted by the wise council of the interwebz.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
What's wrong with Retro? give me this with USD forks, a 6 speed and ABS..

Just give that bike as is. I test road it new a big valve in 92 or 93 and the ergos killed. I should have thought ahead and moved the foot controls forward and give my 36" inseam a place to go. I'd change the bars and that would be it. This is my all time #1 fav Guzzi. I believe it's linked so who need abs?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
...I guess the days of the small shops with limited floor space are gone?   I remember visiting Speaker's Cycle years ago...drooling over a black Breva 1100. (he also had that silver Norge/Breva convert back then :grin:)  It was always great to stop over there and shoot the breeze with Jason and Dan.  At that time the smaller shop wasn't pressured into a full model floorplan, if I understand correctly. 
I want the small shops back into the fold!  Riders like it when their shops are near...not how big they are.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
Gee, I sure hope I grow out of my beginner phase of riding soon... Maybe year 37 will be the year I get to graduate to "intermediate rider", as voted by the wise council of the interwebz.

Experienced riders owning V7s (as many do) has little to do with the fact that MG designed and positioned the V7 as MG's entry-level bike. IOW, it's a bike friendly to beginning riders due to its low ride height, power, and price, and it is universally known as such.

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »

Hmm

Experienced riders owning V7s (as many do) has little to do with the fact that MG designed and positioned the V7 as MG's entry-level bike. IOW, it's a bike friendly to beginning riders due to its low ride height, power, and price, and it is universally known as such.

I think you are off base with that assumption . The V7 is appealing to some beginning riders , but we have several fellas and ladies with hundreds of thousands of miles that are riding Small Blocks because they work . "Universally known as such" , well , not among the fans of Small Blocks .

Dusty

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 01:50:28 PM »
Perhaps "Slightly dated" is the new "Retro"?   :evil:
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »

I think you are off base with that assumption . The V7 is appealing to some beginning riders , but we have several fellas and ladies with hundreds of thousands of miles that are riding Small Blocks because they work . "Universally known as such" , well , not among the fans of Small Blocks .

Google "Guzzi V7 beginner's bike" or "Guzzi V7 entry-level"...

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
Google "Guzzi V7 beginner's bike" or "Guzzi V7 entry-level"...

No argument about whatever the internet says , but since WG is representative of a large cross section of Guzzi owners , maybe we are more of an authority on the subject than the net . Like I said, we have many hi-miler members who have chosen to ride small blocks . In fact , the intrepid Beaver likely has more miles than 90% of all motorcyclists , and she rides a V7 , as does Smithswede . That guy rides almost everyday , rain , sleet , cold , hot , often traveling 400 miles a day for work reasons in all kinds of weather . No doubt they make a decent entry level motorbike , but they punch way above their weight .

Dusty

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »
Google "vaccines cause autism", and "the ruling class are lizard people"...

An internet search supporting your viewpoint, doesn't make it fact.

The V7 is a solid classicly styled touring motorcycle, it's low centre of gravity and ease of riding don't make it a beginner bike, they make it a well-designed, capable motorcycle.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »
No doubt they make a decent entry level motorbike , but they punch way above their weight .

I agree--and said as much. They're great bikes.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »
Google "vaccines cause autism", and "the ruling class are lizard people"...

An internet search supporting your viewpoint, doesn't make it fact.

The V7 is a solid classicly styled touring motorcycle, it's low centre of gravity and ease of riding don't make it a beginner bike, they make it a well-designed, capable motorcycle.

Good grief already. Please read my posts...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:05:06 PM by Kristian »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »
yep.  Small bikes.  Just last night I learned that a 250 finished the 2017 IBA Rally.  Imagine THAT.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »
From Moto Guzzi itself: "Since its introduction, the V7 became a pillar of the Moto Guzzi product range. An entry-level bike that is dedicated to both men and women, the V7 became the company’s best seller in 2009."

Hope that settles it.

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
As a 79 year old, who began riding in 1955, I don't consider myself a beginner.  My age excludes me from the "Millennial" category.  I ride a V7 because I like it!  Does everything that I want a road bike to do and does it well.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
"the ruling class are lizard people”

I always knew that. :afro:
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

twowings

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
Since you seem to be familiar with Piaggio's online presence, why not express your concerns to them directly?
They make the product, we don't...

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
If the Griso had ABS from the factory, I would be all over it.

I think on a new model ABS would be required? To comply with regulations, that is.
Or is that still some time into the future?
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
something like half of Guzzi's sales are V7's of one flavor or another.  Like Triumph tho they felt to compete in the American market they would also need cruisers and adventure bikes.  If the number of 2 and 3 year old new Triumph and Guzzi cruisers and adventure bikes sitting on dealer floors are any indication, they might have misjudged that.  V7's sell because they are solid bikes with a unique set of features at what passes as a reasonable price-point these days.  They'd do well to take note of that.  Piaggio already has a sporting brand.  They really don't need to spend a ton of development money to produce another which will sell in small numbers.  What they need to do is turn out a large block version of the classic roadster platform,  something that likely would have broad appeal and cost them little to do.  Companies tend to fail when they do what they want instead of what the market wants them to do.
V7's are not starter bikes any more than all retro's are purchased by older riders.  What they are is a reaction to the excess of the motorcycle market over the last 10 or 20 years and a desire to get back to basics.  Triumph took the better part of 15 years to figure that out before reinvesting in the parallel twin line,  fortunately Guzzi seems to be a quicker study how that they are at generation iii with the 7's and that is a good sign in my opinion.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
I would like to find out if the still have all the castings and stamping plates, molds from all the older stuff from way back. They were supposedly one of the only factories that had all that from the beginning. Hopefully Piaggio didn't scrap it for more room at the old factory.
If so, they could produce some pretty cool bikes. SO when we get that big sunburst they could produce dizzy & carb bikes.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
I get Kristians point.  But "beginner" is just a marketing label.  I'm 60, been riding for 47 years, and feel no issue at all with riding my V7 500 plus miles a day while my Norge sits home.

My friend rides his 856 Scrambler from AL to VT every year to ride with us.  Truth be told, when we move out west the G310R, Jackal, and V7 will go with us.  Norge stays behind.  One of you youths will get a very well sorted sport tourer!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:44:08 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
A bigger, more expensive sport bike will at once be compared with more modern, faster and stronger bikes. And if Guzzi itself would make a more modern, faster and stronger bike the old customers would say: That�s not a Guzzi anymore. Hence the success of the V7 series. And let�s see what they will do with the V85 - platform.
Very astute IMO.

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »
What's wrong with Retro? give me this with USD forks, a 6 speed and ABS..

That not retro. That's real.  :cool:
Beautiful motorcycle!

The V7III Racer I bought in October is my modern bike and a perfect sport/sport-tourer for me. A few minor enhancements (tubeless wheels, better front suspension, etc), keep it light and simple, and it's all I want.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
I personally do not care if anyone considers the V7 to be a so-called beginners bike.  I bought mine, and totally love it, based on its actual features.    Which to my knowledge are unique in our market today

I wanted something seriously light weight.  As large a gas tank as possible.  A simple, air-cooled engine.    Had to handle well, with plenty of ground clearance.  Shaft drive.  Standard bike ergonomics.   A simple, durable, well tested design.   Straightforward to maintain.  Capable of easily running 85 mph all day.   Able to mount hard saddlebags.  Finally, I wanted something that had a bit of character.   Not mechanically boring.  Not a scooter.  And it would be a huge plus if the bike looked good and was not covered by plastic fairings and gee games.

I did not care about maximizing horsepower.  I did not care about ABS.  I did not want double disk brakes.   Did not need two-up capability. 

I basically wanted to buy a brand new bike that was functionally similar to a BMW airhead like my old R80/7.   And then I planned to ride the heck out of it.

Of course, my Kawasaki Ninja 250 also meets most of these requirements as well, and I will absolutely ride the little two-fiddy anywhere.   So maybe I am just crazy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:33:09 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2018, 01:46:06 AM »
I personally do not care if anyone considers the V7 to be a so-called beginners bike.  I bought mine, and totally love it, based on its actual features.    Which to my knowledge are unique in our market today

I wanted something seriously light weight.  As large a gas tank as possible.  A simple, air-cooled engine.    Had to handle well, with plenty of ground clearance.  Shaft drive.  Standard bike ergonomics.   A simple, durable, well tested design.   Straightforward to maintain.  Capable of easily running 85 mph all day.   Able to mount hard saddlebags.  Finally, I wanted something that had a bit of character.   Not mechanically boring.  Not a scooter.  And it would be a huge plus if the bike looked good and was not covered by plastic fairings and gee games.

I did not care about maximizing horsepower.  I did not care about ABS.  I did not want double disk brakes.   Did not need two-up capability. 

I basically wanted to buy a brand new bike that was functionally similar to a BMW airhead like my old R80/7.   And then I planned to ride the heck out of it.

Of course, my Kawasaki Ninja 250 also meets most of these requirements as well, and I will absolutely ride the little two-fiddy anywhere.   So maybe I am just crazy.

No, you are not. These are exactly the reasons why I bought my Stone in 2013. The only contender (and the bike I was sure I would buy - until the V7 "I" arrived) was the Harley Davidson Sportster Roadster 883.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Mean Mr. Mustard

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2018, 05:48:02 AM »
It is that simple: people who buy new Guzzis now (like myself in 2013) do this because they want a bike that looks like a Guzzi, sounds like a Guzzi, is not too expensive and easy and fun to run. A bigger, more expensive sport bike will at once be compared with more modern, faster and stronger bikes. And if Guzzi itself would make a more modern, faster and stronger bike the old customers would say: That�s not a Guzzi anymore. Hence the success of the V7 series. And let�s see what they will do with the V85 - platform.

+1
Yesterday I signed off on a new V7III Special. It checked ALL of the right boxes for me.
"All the world is a birthday cake. Take a piece, but not too much!" -Beatle George

Offline Mean Mr. Mustard

• New Egg
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2018, 06:01:30 AM »
something like half of Guzzi's sales are V7's of one flavor or another.  Like Triumph tho they felt to compete in the American market they would also need cruisers and adventure bikes.  If the number of 2 and 3 year old new Triumph and Guzzi cruisers and adventure bikes sitting on dealer floors are any indication, they might have misjudged that.  V7's sell because they are solid bikes with a unique set of features at what passes as a reasonabl
V7's are not starter bikes any more than all retro's are purchased by older riders.  What they are is a reaction to the excess of the motorcycle market over the last 10 or 20 years and a desire to get back to basics.  Triumph took the better part of 15 years to figure that out before reinvesting in the parallel twin line,  fortunately Guzzi seems to be a quicker study how that they are at generation iii with the 7's and that is a good sign in my opinion.

Well said!
"All the world is a birthday cake. Take a piece, but not too much!" -Beatle George

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 07:25:38 AM »
I  must admit that I enjoy riding a motorcycle that is different.  The other day I made a Costco run on the  Baby Breva as we had a rare 50 plus February day up here in Canuckistan.  While stowing my purchases had an elderly (much more than my 63 years) gentleman approach and complimented me on the bike.   Said he rode motorcycles back in his youth.  Rode home thoroughly enjoying the mid winter ride and had a guy out walking his dog follow me into my garage.  He new the bike was different from the sound but wanted to see what it was.  All this commotion over a $3000 10 year old bike.  My buddy doesn't get that much attention paid to his $45000 HD Screaming Eagle Guizzer Glide.
 I love the bike for what it is, a nimble lightweight sport bike.  Its not fast by any stretch but it is just different. 
The only drawback  is dealer support.  Guzzi will never be mainstream until they establish a reliable dealer network.  It is a "Catch 22" situation.  People aren't buying them because the nearest dealer is a100 miles away but dealers won't pick the brand up because they aren't popular.  It is a mixed blessing as I would like better dealer access but then again I don't want to see a Guzzi parked on every corner.
Cheers, Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here