Author Topic: Stelvio 8V - Jerky Throttle Fuelling - Need Advice  (Read 21572 times)

Offline BlizzGuzz

• New Egg
Re: Stelvio 8V - Jerky Throttle Fuelling - Need Advice
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »
Do it whenever the TPS/linkages are touched. The more often, the better.
I also give it a final reset just before unhooking the software.

Sounds good! Synchronising will have no negative effect on fuel consumption so no need to worry about that.

Next step, switch off the Lambdas? :-). That might have a slight effect on fuel consumption, as it will run a little richer than standard in the lower half of the rev range. But you have the nicer smoother ride to compensate. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another replies from you guys that I really like  ;D
Thank you  ;-T

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
Informative thread, thanks.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »
As Micky Dolenz once said, „I’m a believer“.

I feel like standing on a soap box on a street corner and preaching to the masses!

The weather is great here today and I rode the Stelvio to work.  About 30km, mixed country roads, Autobahn and city traffic. To all you Stelvio 8V owners out there, you have to do this Lambda mod! At least for me, it’s transformed the bike. It’s so smooth, fantastic power delivery, no jerky throttle.
It’s almost TOO smooth to be a Moto Guzzi!  :o

It’s a pity that most Stelvio owners out there will never know!  :-\
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
I think I've found the 3 pin to 16 pin OBD2connector cable on Amazon in the US -- http://www.amazon.com/Elandpower-OBD2-Connector-Diagnostic-Adapter/dp/B0053NRLHE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

same as for a Fiat, but I'm not sure about the USB adapter with the chip. 

http://www.amazon.com/VAG-COM-409-1-Interface-diagnostic-Volkswagen/dp/B00871CJ1W

Is that the one with a chip? 

Since E-Bay's data base was hacked, I'd like to order from Amazon

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
As far as the adapter cable is concerned, I would just google "“USB FTDI OBD2 KKL”.

This is a tricky one, as they are available with different chips inside, and only one particular kind will work. The first one I ordered did not work. Make sure to order one with an FTDI chip inside. Some suppliers mention it in the product description, so you should get one from a supplier that clearly mentions the FTDI chip. If you can't find FTDI in the item description, I wouldn't buy it.

This is the one I got, and UK is too far for you to source from I guess, but just so you know what it looks like.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005R0OQ12/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John

Offline BlizzGuzz

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 03:42:38 AM »

I feel like standing on a soap box on a street corner and preaching to the masses!

The weather is great here today and I rode the Stelvio to work.  About 30km, mixed country roads, Autobahn and city traffic. To all you Stelvio 8V owners out there, you have to do this Lambda mod! At least for me, it’s transformed the bike. It’s so smooth, fantastic power delivery, no jerky throttle.

As Xlratr said  ;D.
Only one concern, though...  :-\
What about the inactive lambda sensors... Someone's told me that they'll be destroyed over time when switched off and still in place in the exhaust pipes?
Somebody here with more info and personal experience regarding this?   

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 08:09:17 AM »
Only one concern, though...  :-\
What about the inactive lambda sensors... Someone's told me that they'll be destroyed over time when switched off and still in place in the exhaust pipes?
Somebody here with more info and personal experience regarding this?   

Nothing changes if you leave them in place.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
Me too!

Ordered the cables today.   I've noticed a jerkiness to the fueling on the NTX as well.  Usually in the area of 3500 rpm.   Since installing the Mistral carbon oval w/db killer,  I've noticed the popping on decel just a little bit more.
Time to tune a bit....

richy

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »

Are most of them that bad, you think?

I rode my Stelvio to work today, like I do most days, 4 miles of country road, 15 miles of highway, 6 miles mix of city freeway and surface streets .....

No jerkiness, lots of power, dead-smooth idle no matter what the temperature, lots of "pull" off the traffic lights, smooth cruise.   I've never done anything to my engine, still have the original spark plug wires; changed oil and set valves and she runs great.

I'd hate to mess with it!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
I know my 2013 acts a bit odd around 3500 rpm.   It could also be that it needs the TBs balanced as well as a TPS reset. 
I'd like to do as little as possible to smooth out the throttle.    Right now it's a "bump helmets with the pillion in roundabouts!" bike.....not too bad, but noticeable to me.  I'm also thinking the lambda tweak sounds encouraging.

richy

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
Are most of them that bad, you think?

No they're not bad! My obsession started because I was annoyed by the jerkiness when rolling on and off throttle in very slow moving traffic. It wasn't possible without pulling the clutch slightly. Nothing bad, but annoying. (I never had any problem at highway speed). It was much improved after properly synchronising the TBs with TPS reset. But it was even nicer after I turned off the Lambdas! It's just made riding much more relaxed and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John

chickenman_26

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
I generally don't mess with factory settings or engine management items, unless the "fix" comes from the factory. But the success you folks are getting has got me ready to give the O2 sensor switch off a try...as long as it doesn't end up putting the MPG in the dumper. The herky jerky low speed throttle, the popping on trailing throttle, the lag at 3500 followed by the afterburner effect...I could live without that stuff. Programs set up and cables ordered today. Beetle, Pete, Xlratr, etc., thanks for the tutorials.

Stu O

Offline grinmaul

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
1. Go to this site:  http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/Guzzidiag/

this link no longer works. where can i get the .xdf file for a 2014 stelvio?

Edit: found out why, web links are case sensitive, http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/ works fine:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:59:50 AM by grinmaul »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
A new set of DENSO IRIDIUM spark plugs IU24A (5365) cured my low-speed Stelvio hiccups.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:25:53 PM by leafman60 »

chickenman_26

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
Don't know why that would be the case, because the spark plugs aren't the source of the problems. But if you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

I disabled my oxygen sensors using Guzzidiag and Tuner Pro, and all the issues vanished, including what I thought was a snatchy clutch release. For anyone wanting to do this but unwilling to attempt changing the programming in Tuner Pro, I'd be happy to email them the .bin file which can then be read directly into the ecu using the writer program. Just don't forget to read and save the original file first. If you screw that up, I can also send you the original. This is for the twin lambda model NTX only.

Fears of messing up the sensors are unfounded. The programming change doesn't disable functioning of the O2 sensors, it just eliminates the ECU response to the sensors. No need to even unplug them, let alone remove them.

Stuo

chickenman_26

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Bump.
Just an update to this thread. I notice most advice for adjusting idle fueling after turning off the O2 sensors was to go negative with the numbers. I didn't touch it at first. Then I noticed one day riding at 8,000' that the idle was a lot smoother and more even. That's a clue....it's too lean at sea level.
So back home at almost sea level, I hooked an EGA to the exhaust and started Guzzi Diag. Idle fuel setting was Zero. The exhaust gas numbers showed that the bike was in lean misfire - that's why the exhaust smelled of unburned gas. I played with the fueling till I got perfect gas numbers, which turned out to be +15. Dead smooth idle, perfect running (3500 rpm glitch gone), no exhaust stink, and absolutely no popping on trailing throttle. This is a 2012 NTX. YMMV, but I don't think assuming the bike is rich after turning off the sensors is warranted.

Stu O

beetle

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:04 PM »
This is so wrong it's not funny. The pressure-air-temp table leans the mixture at altitude unless you are in sub-zero temps. Your assumptions are ass-backwards. At sea level and warm temperatures, it only leans the mixture above 100 degrees.

I suspect you never bothered to reset your trims when you switched off lambda.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here