Author Topic: V7 II Clutch Adjustment  (Read 6797 times)

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
  • It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
Re: V7 II Clutch Adjustment
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
I decided it was time to report the results...6.5 weeks later, I have a new motor in my V7 II, courtesy of Moto Guzzi, under warranty. The first week was spent on a diagnosis of the problem. The last week or so was spent on the engine swap. All the other time was spent waiting for the motor to be shipped and clear customs.
The local dealer never told me the real reason for the replacement. I would like to know, but I'm satisfied with the new motor. Hopefully, it will last longer than the first motor since my warranty runs out in about 3 weeks.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 05:38:58 AM »
I decided it was time to report the results...6.5 weeks later, I have a new motor in my V7 II, courtesy of Moto Guzzi, under warranty. The first week was spent on a diagnosis of the problem. The last week or so was spent on the engine swap. All the other time was spent waiting for the motor to be shipped and clear customs.
The local dealer never told me the real reason for the replacement. I would like to know, but I'm satisfied with the new motor. Hopefully, it will last longer than the first motor since my warranty runs out in about 3 weeks.
The reason is that a number of motors were assembled at the factory without a critical component (a thrust washer). This means that in service the crankshaft quickly starts to push back (against where the hardened thrust washer is supposed to be) and starts to wear away the block. Eventually it migrates rearward enough to freeze the motor.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
I asked my mechanic in an attempt to receive confirmation of the missing thrust washers. The mechanic would neither confirm nor deny this. All he said was, "Don't believe everything that you read on forums."

But I do believe that this is the first V7II engine that the dealership replaced (I could be wrong). My guess is that Guzzi said to replace the motor, Guzzi sent them the new motor (from Italy) and they replaced it.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with a new, free motor.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
If the mechanic read forums he wouldn't have needed a week to diagnose!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
I asked my mechanic in an attempt to receive confirmation of the missing thrust washers. The mechanic would neither confirm nor deny this. All he said was, "Don't believe everything that you read on forums."

But I do believe that this is the first V7II engine that the dealership replaced (I could be wrong). My guess is that Guzzi said to replace the motor, Guzzi sent them the new motor (from Italy) and they replaced it.

That's dumb of the mechanic. It's not like there seems to be any information blackout on the thrust washer issue. And there are enough documented cases and dealer confirmations of it that the tech shouldn't be so closed mouthed.

No matter, I'm at a rally now and mentioned this to a bud. He told me about a dealer he patronizes that has a long black sitting there from a recent replacement for the thrust washer issue. The dealer showed him the amount of play in the crank on it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:23:54 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
So what do the dealers do with these defunct engines?
Send them back to Piaggio?
Break them down for the good parts?
Turn them into paper weights?
Object d'art?

It's not gonna keep me up at night, but.... Maybe I'll ask my mechanic.
While I'm at it, I probably ought to give him the web address for Wildgoose.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
So what do the dealers do with these defunct engines?
Send them back to Piaggio?
Break them down for the good parts?
Turn them into paper weights?
Object d'art?

It's not gonna keep me up at night, but.... Maybe I'll ask my mechanic.
While I'm at it, I probably ought to give him the web address for Wildgoose.
According to my buddy his friend (a dealer) told him he has to hold onto it for a certain amount of time and then he is free to dispose of it as he will (including breaking it down for parts). But I don't imagine there are a lot of commonly needed parts in that short block.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here