Author Topic: Moto Guzzi 1400 Tour Tire Change  (Read 511 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Moto Guzzi 1400 Tour Tire Change
« on: March 23, 2023, 03:14:41 PM »
2017 California 1400 Tour REAR tire change

There are many threads discussing tire sizes.  I used a Bridgestone Battalax BT-020 200/60R-16 REAR.

I have a really small area and no room for a lift, so this Harbor Freight wheel chock works to stabilize the front-end before jacking the back side.

1.  Remove saddlebags.  I also removed the guards.  Remove the mufflers.
2.  With the front of the bike stabilized, jack the rear of the bike up, just enough to take the tension off of the rear wheel
3.  Remove left shock.  If yours has a reservoir, you'll have to remove one shock bolt and slide it away from the brake assembly.
4.  Tape top of left swingarm to prevent scratching it with the brake assembly.
5.  Remove 32mm axle NUT only.  Pull axle out just enough to slide the brake assembly up and out of the way.   
6.  Slide a cloth under the brake caliper assembly and use a couple of cable ties to tie that brake assembly out of the way.
7.  Slide axle a little further - just enough - and - remove the wheel spacer - then slide axle all the way back in.
8.  Get a rubber hammer n tap the wheel assembly lightly toward the nut (left) side until it separates and clears the hub.
9.  Remove axle, then raise jack until you can remove the rear wheel.

Ya might want to tape both sides of the wheel (to prevent scratches) in case it gets away from you during the removal process.

The splines on this one are dry.  No grease here.  The bike has 6,000-ish miles on it in 5 months, so maybe it didn't have time to get all stuck together.

I used a bit of Fluid Film spray to take care of the rust and then cleaned it all up and coated with Honda Moly 60 grease - but you can probably use any NGLI2 Lithium based moly grease.  hahahahaaaaa or anything else, for that matter.
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ya gotta remove a lot of stuff - but all in all, this went very smoothly.  All of the fasteners cooperated, and all of it came apart and went back together very easily.

P.S. Change the rear drive fluid while ya have it apart.

I might have pictures of the front tire change, if anyone wants to see them.  It's pretty straight forward.  You'll need this 14mm hex for the front wheel removal.  It's the one that I didn't have.   

The front got a Bridgestone Exedra G709. This is the galactic standard Gold Wing GL1800 front tire, and gives great service.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:16:36 PM by kballowe »

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Re: Moto Guzzi 1400 Tour Tire Change
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 04:19:02 PM »
That’s quite the detailed process I’m sure someone will find that useful.Good Job.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 05:30:13 PM »
When I had my 1400, I was pretty aggravated when the shop charged me $75 to mount the new tire.  That is, until I watched the young guy do it.  2 hours to remove, strip the old tire off, install the new and balance and remount.  And that rear wheel and tire were some kind of heavy.  I didn't mind paying after seeing that effort.  I just wished it was not so often.
Blue Guzz

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 05:48:09 PM »
Until I read the P.S. I was going to ask if you changed the rear end gear oil while you were in there.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 05:48:09 PM »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 06:13:47 PM »
Be mindful of the fasteners.  Moto Guzzi likes to use some unique fasteners.  These are muffler mounts.  Not something that you could get at the hardware store - if one gets lost.

Offline Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:42 PM »
Nice detailed write up. I just changed the original tires at 3,900 miles on my 2015 California Custom, went with Avons. While I was at it changed the gearbox, FD, brake and clutch fluids as well. All ready for nice weather!
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 10:18:23 PM »
Great write up and pictures.  It’s so hard to get around to changing tires, but fun to do once I start.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 05:13:21 AM »
The No-Mar tire changer sits inside the walkout basement.  The tires spend some time in the sunshine, on an asphalt driveway - before being introduced to Mr. tire changer..  Remember - a warm tire, is a happy tire.

:boozing:

Sometimes it's too cold outside, and so ya gotta get out "the box".  Add a $9.99 hair dryer.  You could use your wife's hair dryer, but I don't recommend it.  Set the tire up off of the work bench on some little wood blocks, and cover with the custom tire warming box.

A thermometer is handy, or you could just wait until the smell of burning rubber wafts itself up into the living room.    :boozing:

You could also use a shop light with an incandescent bulb - it just takes longer, and you'll need a blanket.

Oh, and you're gonna need one of these.  She's pretty handy.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here