Author Topic: Looking at the V85tt  (Read 2147 times)

Offline zebep

• New Egg
Looking at the V85tt
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
Hi guys  I need some help and what better place to ask than here?  :bow: I'm looking to purchase the v85tt adv  I really like the red and white one with the top box and side cases.  However I also like the what  travel brings with  aux lights ,heated grips and taller wind screen (not sure if thats a plus) Also you don't get the Top Case on travel.
  I'm  having trouble making up my mind and  looking for opinions .I do like the factory installed  heated grips and lights,better than add ons
Thanks in advance
Rick
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:46:26 PM by zebep »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
Re: Looking at the V85tt
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
The basic bike is the same. Everything that makes the Travel what it is can be installed afterward. I think the big questions between the 2 is which color you prefer and do you like the adventure bags or the Travel bags?

All of the other stuff can be added, and a good portion of it for a cheaper price going aftermarket.

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:09 PM »
 Thanks for your input!  I like the red /white scheme better than travel's sandy brown
 The travel to buy is   $500 more than the adv.  I was told the light kit and the heated grips are over $500 and $200 for the taller windscreen so 700 + installation.  So if I want the travel and I can save some money and get the factory accessories Right? The color is ok with me, so all is good. I guess ? Accept if i want the top box that's around $1000 :violent1: mammia

Online mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 05:38:53 PM »
The bike is the same. Buy the color you want and accessorize as desired.

It would be kind of nice if Guzzi would have made all the color options available at a base price without the add on equipment so a person could choose that and then pick the rest of the stuff they wanted. I chose the gray one and took that approach but it probably wouldn't have been my first color choice.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »
Thanks for your input!  I like the red /white scheme better than travel's sandy brown
 The travel to buy is   $500 more than the adv.  I was told the light kit and the heated grips are over $500 and $200 for the taller windscreen so 700 + installation.  So if I want the travel and I can save some money and get the factory accessories Right? The color is ok with me, so all is good. I guess ? Accept if i want the top box that's around $1000 :violent1: mammia

I've got less than $100 in a set of auxilliary lights. If you want the Guzzi ones then you are going to spend big bucks, but there are options.
I didn't like the Guzzi brackets up by the headlights to I mounted them to the crash bars.
Many people get some oxford grips for way less than what the Guzzi ones cost, I don't have them so don't pay attention.
Of course windscreens are very personal, I've been just fine with the stock one but some people believe it was designed by the devil.

When I bought mine the Travel wasn't available. I really like the tan color and think it's one of the best colors for this bike but I also really wanted the aluminum boxes. I ended up getting what I consider a good deal on a grey one with the adventure boxes and could not be happier.

There are many options out there.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 07:18:24 PM »
I've read many reviews and talked to few owners but would like the opinion of you gents...does the bike feel like it's more comfortable on gravel roads and ok on Bit? does it feel like it's more at home on bit roads and ok on gravel? or does it truly ride equally well on each? What does the bike do best ? and not so much?

I am open to any of the variants...don't really care much about the color or the bag differences...I'm too freekin old to ride much at night but my hands do get cold :) I'm short but can reach the ground well enough on the two I sat on....so that pretty much answers the light package, heated grips and shield.

btw I've been on the MGNOC facebook page lately.....just cause it's easier on my phone...and this forum blows it's doors off...been away to long and miss this bunch way more than I should....nice to be back !

2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Texascat

• Gosling
    • http://www.youtube.com/friscocat66
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »
Just go for the color you like best.  Accessories can be replaced/ added easily.  I liked the adventure color options better, especially the red frame.  I also prefer aluminum panniers, top loading.  I bought a used one so I did not have to worry about price comparing, but if I were to buy a new one I would go back to the adventure.
19 T120 Bonneville Black
20 Moto Guzzi V85TT

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
I bought the red/white with the bags.  Added the taller windshield, aux lights, center stand, crash bars, lower seat and Agostini  "Y" pipe.  I love the color scheme.  Travel wasn't available, and I do like it.  No regrets though, and I like the top loading aluminum bags vs side plastics.

Great bike, you can't go wrong either way.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »
I bought the red/white with the bags.  Added the taller windshield, aux lights, center stand, crash bars, lower seat and Agostini  "Y" pipe.  I love the color scheme.  Travel wasn't available, and I do like it.  No regrets though, and I like the top loading aluminum bags vs side plastics.

I was lamenting the fact that I bought the top loading all metal bags.
Do you prefer them to the ones on the Travel ?

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
Thank you everyone I'm very happy with the feedback ALL  good advice .now all I have to do is make up my mind :shocked:

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »
The bike is the same. Buy the color you want and accessorize as desired.

It would be kind of nice if Guzzi would have made all the color options available at a base price without the add on equipment so a person could choose that and then pick the rest of the stuff they wanted. I chose the gray one and took that approach but it probably wouldn't have been my first color choice.
AGREED :thumb:

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »

Thanks Cam 

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
I was lamenting the fact that I bought the top loading all metal bags.
Do you prefer them to the ones on the Travel ?

Yea, cause all your crap doesn't dump out every time you open bag!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 09:14:55 PM »
The "Travel" comes with a Centre Stand too, doesn't it?

Always a plus for a touring bike in my opinion, esp. if you get a nail or screw through one of those tubes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:18:53 PM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:28 PM »
Yes, I think the travel comes with a center stand. 
I added one to mine- it was a PITA to install, but it can be done.   Personally, I prefer top loader bags to side loader bags- much less likely to loose your stuff on the road or on the side of the road.   
The low windshield on the regular model is- as said- designed by the devil.  I don't know about the tall windshield.   I put a CalSci XL on mine and with less than 200 miles on it, I think it is great.  The CalSci works for me. 
I haven't added heated grips, but I did buy a sixpack of molex connectors and I'd be happy to give out five pairs if anyone needs them.  No guarantees they will fit because I haven't tried them yet! 

EDIT- my bad- I guess it does not come with the center stand. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:28:31 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 09:29:37 PM »
I've read many reviews and talked to few owners but would like the opinion of you gents...does the bike feel like it's more comfortable on gravel roads and ok on Bit? does it feel like it's more at home on bit roads and ok on gravel? or does it truly ride equally well on each? What does the bike do best ? and not so much?

It's a road bike that is dressed up like an adventure bike. It will do ok on dirt roads/gravel with some adventure type tires but I wouldn't consider it to be the strong point of the design.

If you look at the overall design of the bike, particularly the frame, and read between the lines I think Guzzi designed a generic frame that will be used for many different bikes in the future. They just rolled it out on the V85TT.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
I don't think the Travel comes stock with a center stand.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

elvisboy77

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
Yes, I think the travel comes with a center stand. 
I added one to mine- it was a PITA to install, but it can be done.   Personally, I prefer top loader bags to side loader bags- much less likely to loose your stuff on the road or on the side of the road.   
The low windshield on the regular model is- as said- designed by the devil.  I don't know about the tall windshield.   I put a CalSci XL on mine and with less than 200 miles on it, I think it is great.  The CalSci works for me. 
I haven't added heated grips, but I did buy a sixpack of molex connectors and I'd be happy to give out five pairs if anyone needs them.  No guarantees they will fit because I haven't tried them yet!

My Travel did NOT come with a center stand.  All the other factory installed options are great, though. 

If you want Red and white, then get it.  I would stick with factory accessories if I were you, my dealer installed them for free (center stand and crash bars, both Guzzi and both perfect fits)

Good luck, you will love it!

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 09:52:32 PM »

Offline DesmoDog

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
I bought the red/white because I liked the color. If the Travel had been available in a color scheme I liked I probably would have gone with it to get the lights and MIA.

None of V85TTs come with center stands in the USA.

I added crash bars and a center stand right away, and just ordered the MIA interface and an inner bag for the top box this afternoon. I'd like to add aux lights but will likely go with aftermarket when the time comes. I'm also considering one of those fancy schmancy brake lights with flickers and flashes and sequential turn signals.

Aftermarket heated grips can be added and wired in to the factory controls. If I ever get to where I think I need them that's likely what I'll do. As for screens, I'm used to bikes with no screens so I'm lost there. The stock (short) screen on mine is ok at best, but I'm not ue I want to go down the rabbit hole of trying different screens.

But yeah, buy the color you like and mod it to fit. FWIW I pulled the panniers off mine within 20 minutes of getting it home, they weren't all that important in my choice. I'll probably use them next summer. Or maybe not. I think between the top box and a dry bag across the back part of the seat I'll be set, but we'll see.
-Craig

elvisboy77

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
Yea, cause all your crap doesn't dump out every time you open bag!

I just use a bag as a liner, problem solved.

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 10:29:45 PM »
I just use a bag as a liner, problem solved.

I use a garbage bag (maybe you do as well?)...they work and they are waterproof. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

elvisboy77

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 07:19:12 AM »
I use a garbage bag (maybe you do as well?)...they work and they are waterproof.

Bingo!

Offline zebep

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »
I'm going with the red/white it was my first choice before the Travel came out . First impressions :grin:   After reading all your suggestions it helped my make up my mind
Thank you to everyone for your input !! I pickup the Bike next week  :bike-037:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:48:01 PM by zebep »

Offline Texascat

• Gosling
    • http://www.youtube.com/friscocat66
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 09:50:01 PM »
 :boozing:
19 T120 Bonneville Black
20 Moto Guzzi V85TT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here