Author Topic: A 2001 California Special with under 20 miles.  (Read 13547 times)

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: A 2001 California Special with under 20 miles.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »
Wow. THAT sure looks familiar.

I've seen N'Inga's pictures on the interweb, she looks pretty good for her weight.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Maaka

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »
 Now I am a man that will buy anything that looks good, and has low miles. That way I know it hasnt been ridden by a cowboy, or had the guts wrung out of it, and I have bought bikes with no title, because when I ship them overseas to home, it gets re done and re numbered and new papers issued...do I want a 2001 MG hmmmmmmmmmm...think ing

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »

I recently met a young guy at an auto parts store in Spring Hill FL who said his dad has a very low mileage Guzzi for sale. Sounds like the same story. I gave the young guy the name of this forum to help his dad out. Pretty sure it's the same family and the bike is legit.

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
Re: This is a revival of an OLD topic.
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »
Did the DMV just title it as an EV, or something?  Your photo does not show an EV.  It shows a Bassa or Special.  

To confirm the Model Year of your motorcycle, look at the 10th digit in the VIN.  If it is a "1", then it is a 2001.  If it is a "Y", then it is a 2000.  An "X" would indicate a 1999.
It's a 1.  The DMV didn't care about its surname -- it's just a California to them.  I got the EV from Piaggio's recall notification site, of all places.  Putting the VIN in identifies it as a "CALIF EV-LR USA BIANCO PE (ANNULL)"  Go figger.

Call HD or Kawasaki and see how much help they'll be on a 15-year-old motorcycle.  I expect it won't be much...
You're probably quite right.  Bet they pick up the phone, though.  I must have called their 800 number a hundred times and their 212 number a dozen.  I finally got someone to pick up by begging on their FB page.  Heh. I guess that resolves any hope I had of internet privacy, but there you go.  Someone welcome me to the 21st Century, please.  ;)

Wildguzzi.com

Re: This is a revival of an OLD topic.
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
Now I am a man that will buy anything that looks good, and has low miles. That way I know it hasnt been ridden by a cowboy, or had the guts wrung out of it, and I have bought bikes with no title, because when I ship them overseas to home, it gets re done and re numbered and new papers issued...do I want a 2001 MG hmmmmmmmmmm...think ing
Heh.  I'm pleased to report that I'm in a much better place financially than I was when I opened this thread.  My inclination now is to ride the thing, at least for a while.  A dealer is picking it up tomorrow to start bringing it back. I know myself though-- pretty soon I'll want to trade up to something with ABS and other modern conveniences, so keep in touch.  :)

I recently met a young guy at an auto parts store in Spring Hill FL who said his dad has a very low mileage Guzzi for sale. Sounds like the same story. I gave the young guy the name of this forum to help his dad out. Pretty sure it's the same family and the bike is legit.
Nope. Different guy.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
RIDE IT!!!   :bike

Join in. Put your suspenders on and ride.  Plenty of bitchin', complainin' and fixin' goin' on here.   ;D
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »
Speaking as a buyer of Moto Guzzis and with no other qualifications, this bike, in order to sell, will need:

1) A title.  
2) To run.   Take it to a reputable Guzzi shop and have them get it running and sign it off.

Without #1, it's a risky parts bike.   Without #2, it's a "project bike".

Lannis

What Lannis said............... ......

Ciao   8)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 10:34:49 PM »
you could start a poll.. how long till the first plastic chrome bling falls off..

if you get it on the road..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
you could start a poll.. how long till the first plastic chrome bling falls off..
Heh.  The mechanic gave it back with the bling that went over the throttle bodies in a cardboard box.  So somewhere between 11 and 21 miles.

if you get it on the road..
I ended up putting almost as much into the damn thing as it would probably sell for but I was on a mission.  One finally completed today.

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
Nice looking bike. Hope you ride it a lot. I think that you will enjoy it. They really tend to grow on you.
About the obscured face thing- I understand. I would do the same thing were I to post a photo here. Not for privacy. Lets just say that when I was  kid I was so homely my mom had to tie a porkchop around my neck just to get the dog to play with me.
Its the main reason why I always wear a full face helmet.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:19:45 PM by wavedog »

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
For someone looking for a Calvin,  this would be a nice alternative. It might actually be as new.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »
Heh.  The mechanic gave it back with the bling that went over the throttle bodies in a cardboard box.  So somewhere between 11 and 21 miles.
I ended up putting almost as much into the damn thing as it would probably sell for but I was on a mission.  One finally completed today.

With the expression of happiness that's on your face in that picture, you look like my twin brother.  LOL
NO longer can ride

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here