Author Topic: Tool Kit Contents - Tonti  (Read 1904 times)

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
Tool Kit Contents - Tonti
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
All.

The original tool kit for my 850 Lemans has disappeared somewhere into the ether in the last 40 years . . . . So i'm looking to put together a couple of tool kits.

Space on the 850 Lemans is somewhat limited (original tool tray doesn’t fit with the modern replacement batteries so limited to shoving a pouch between the battery and mudguard). My thoughts were a smaller kit that is on the bike all the time, and a more comprehensive one for ventures further afield.

I'm less interested in what was in the original kit, more interested in recommendations for the tools for the jobs required to get you out of trouble when it arises.

What are your thoughts?

STANDARD KIT
Spark Plug Socket, spare plug and cap
Carb Adjustment - screw driver and hex drives
Dissy/Points - spare points, & capacitors
Electrical – Few lengths of wire’s with terminals on the end for any required “hot wiring” to get going (bypass kill switches etc)
Little LED light

ADDITIONAL KIT FOR LONGER TRIP’s
Spare Clutch & Throttle Cables – prob have to tape these up under the seat?
Spanners for removing break callipers & wheels – Flats etc
Spare Headlight Bulb – Spanner for removing fairing and headlight shell

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tool Kit Contents - Tonti
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 01:40:21 AM »
Tool kit.... Cell phone, gold card, auto club card and a flashlight.

Now that I have the joke out of the way, though for some that is all they need.

Your on the right track with your 2 kits. Parts are always a hard one to decide on what to carry. Depends on your room for the trip.

I would pull your bike to your work area. Then look at what you may be able to fix on the side of the road, or even at some sort of repair place. They may not have THE tool you need. Things you might fix, lights, cables, plugs, axle bolts, ect.

Now pull out all the tools you need to fix the things. Screwdrivers, wrenches, allen wrenches and the like. Put them in a pile and see if you can fit them. Then look at substitutes. Adjustable wrench, spark plug socket that can be used with the adjustable wrench, the insert type screwdriver and allen bits and a ratchet wrench and short extension for the bits (HF sells a wrench for this under $5 with some bits). You get the idea. The substitutes may take a bit longer to use, but if space is an issue and your stuck, time may not be an issue.

Good luck on your choices!
Tom

2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
For the big wrenches such as wheel-nuts I carve a wrench out 1/8 aluminum using a pair of dividers to mark out the hex.
Using the radius of the circle divide the circumference into 6 equal spaces and cut out with a coping saw
You only need a handle about 6" long and a rock as a hammer.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »
zip ties & safety wire plus extra fuses. I also keep a few extra nuts and bolts of different sizes. Do you really need the points and stuff?  I haven't had to touch my points since I set them 2+ years ago. I know it will suck when they unexpectedly fail, but it just seems less likely.

Can you even get to the distributor without removing the tank? If not, do you have the tools to remove it? (I honestly don't know how the stock tank is attached). What about fuel lines? My tank removes with 2 allen head bolts, but I need a set of pliers to get the fuel lines to come off.

1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:59:04 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
I changed the points in my Eldorado without removing the distributor.
That way you don't have to retime it, well at least not straight away.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:46:26 AM »
zip ties & safety wire plus extra fuses. I also keep a few extra nuts and bolts of different sizes. Do you really need the points and stuff?  I haven't had to touch my points since I set them 2+ years ago. I know it will suck when they unexpectedly fail, but it just seems less likely.

Can you even get to the distributor without removing the tank? If not, do you have the tools to remove it? (I honestly don't know how the stock tank is attached). What about fuel lines? My tank removes with 2 allen head bolts, but I need a set of pliers to get the fuel lines to come off.

Rubber strap holds the tank, most of my fuel lines don’t need clamps so the tank comes off quick.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »
zip ties & safety wire plus extra fuses. I also keep a few extra nuts and bolts of different sizes.

++ on the zip ties. Make sure to get a few long / thick ones as they can hold almost anything together like seats and luggage - can always trim to fit. Also recommend a roll of good electrical tape.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »
He lost the run of himself.

Offline Jake

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
A good list you have.  Be creative in where/how you store stuff (e.g. I've seen folks use pvc pipe with screw on caps they then attach along the bottom of the seat.  Maybe something like a front fork bag? 
Granville, Ohio
1975 850-T
1977 R750/7

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »

Had to do that one before with the other end of the shift linkage.  Had zip ties in the tool kit, but found one there on the side of the road and used it. (Guzzi content)
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here