General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V50 Restoration

(1/4) > >>

riguzzi:
I just picked up 2 V50 barn finds... each with 25000 miles on them. They're actually in pretty good condition (I guess a dry garage), though tight from sitting for so long. Of course, all the rubber stuff is deteriorated as are the brakes.

I popped the head off the worse one and the cylinders look fine, though I will pull the barrels on both and clean them out. I was able to free both the engines with just a little work. I was wondering if I should replace the exhaust valves, and maybe springs while I'm in there?

Antietam Classic Cycle:
V50 II or III? Valves for the II are smaller and apparently less likely to fail. Also seem to be in short supply. III valves are the same size as V65 and are readily available. I'd run 'em and keep and eye on valve clearances - if they start closing up on a regular basis, then rebuild the heads with better valves and maybe the Nevada springs.

riguzzi:
V50 II. The heads look good... a little carbon buildup, but nothing bad. All original and complete save for 1 muffler, side covers and a few other bits. One seat is pretty bad... might put a cafe seat on one. I'll start posting photos once I really get into them. Right now just looking to see how much work/money is involved.

huub:
if you have the heads off, do fit nevada valve springs.
I have seen enough dropped V50 valves , not to run any smallblock with the pre 1990 valve springs.
it simply makes no sense to safe 40 euro and cause a blown engine.
changing exhaust valves is a good idea too, if you dont know the history of the engine.

i used to change the exhaust valves every 50.000 km on my V65TT as a precaution.
even with new valves , if the valve clearance disappears between maintenances, it is time to change the exhaust valves.

riguzzi:

--- Quote from: huub on August 17, 2021, 09:10:58 AM ---if you have the heads off, do fit nevada valve springs.
I have seen enough dropped V50 valves , not to run any smallblock with the pre 1990 valve springs.

--- End quote ---

Makes good sense. I was going to lap the valves etc. anyway, so I may as well replace them. I just pulled one barrel and the rings were stuck from sitting... I may do new rings as well.

This is a picture of the bikes as I got them:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version