General Category > General Discussion

Lynchburg, VA: what’s it like there?

(1/12) > >>

willowstreetguzziguy:
We have relatives near Lynchburg Virginia and often thought about possibly relocating there. I was wondering if anyone from this forum lives near there and can tell me what it’s like in that area of Virginia?

“Just wondering but not lost.”

nwguy:
I passed through there last spring. Went downtown to a nice brew pub for an IPA. Very pleasant old town area. Seemed like a nice town from me. Always wondered how it got named though.

Ronkom:
WSGG,
There are a dozen or so Guzzi riders (that I know of) in the Lynchburg area. What kind of info are you looking for? If facts & figures I'd prefer you sent me a list of questions via email "ronkom(at)vaguzzi(dot)com" so I have time to make sure of my answers. In general, I grew up 30 miles East of Pittsburgh, & have 5 siblings living there...but I'm here & have no desire to live there again.  In Western Pa. we had "3 months of high summer & 9 months of crap" (IMPO). Even though we're not that much further South the mountains modulate the weather such that we have 3 months of winter & 9 months of pretty decent weather here. Most of the regular attendees at my monthly Guzzi lunches ride year round. Send me an email, I'll answer all I can. We can also jaw on the phone (434)993-3841 It's a land-line (yea I'm THAT old!). We get so many trash-spam calls that we only answer if we recognize who's calling, so, if no answer please leave a message.
ride safe,
Ron     

vf84pc:
Our Corp HQ is there I have spent several months there. The people are very nice, it is a typical small city with  a slower pace of life. All the big box stores are there, pretty much everything you need. It is the home of Liberty University, so the majority of the locals are very religious and very conservative. There is very imited employment opertunitys and it does get cold during the winter months and HOT during the summer. Several people I know moved there from western NY and they like it.  I am not religious or conservative and I liked it also.  Down sides to VA. In general are personal property tax on cars,boats,bikes trailers, etc. Sales tax on everything including bulk food.

SIR REAL ED:
I live in Lynchburg, VA.  Great place.  Escaped from the outskirts of Rochester NY back in 1987.  Love it here, never even thought about moving back for a second.

Great weather, great scenery, great people.

Shoot me your phone number via PM and I'll give you a call.

Don't believe RonKom about 3 months of winter down here.  Although I will grant him that winter is relative.  Rarely do we even get two weeks of Rochester NY winter per year.

Regarding taxes, not sure about PA, but everyone I know in Upstate NY would love it if their property taxes were equal to twice or 3 times my property and personal property taxes combined.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version