Author Topic: Confirmed V7R Weight for KevM  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
Confirmed V7R Weight for KevM
« on: January 17, 2022, 10:56:26 PM »
Kev....we went back and forth over the weight of a V7R a while back and I told you I was going to weigh it again to confirm my initial reading.  So, the tank is kept full during the winter months right up to the top with ethanol free.  It was sunny and in the mid 40's around here and my plan was just to run to the scale and back, but one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had 55 miles of casual around town riding on the trip meter.

When I pushed it on the scale it was down prob exactly one gallon from full (as I average 55+/- mpg) on it with uninspired riding.

On the scale:

Scale reading is 429 (that's with 4.5 gallons on board)......subtract 27.4 pounds 6.1 to 6.3 pounds per gallon depending on who you believe) for gas and total weight is right around 400-403.6 +/-pounds. Tires are the stock Sport Demons...stock innertubes with no slime....bike is basically unmodded except for MG OEM belly pan which weighs ounces at best.

Had plans to haul it over to try out the Kendon UTV trailer I modded for hauling bikes but was too nice not to ride.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:01:17 PM by Frulk »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Confirmed V7R Weight for KevM
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 07:24:07 AM »
Well done.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 07:30:21 AM »
Now you have made me curious to what mine weighs since I have the Mistral Short Exhaust, billet aluminum rear sets, aluminum handlebar, etc. 

The next warm day I will ride the V7III to the scales. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:04:36 AM »

...bike is basically unmodded except for MG OEM belly pan which weighs ounces at best.

Interesting post.  Thanks.

Might you have part number or nomenclature for that belly pan?

I was not smart enough to find that in a web search.

Grazie.

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:04:36 AM »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 09:01:38 AM »
Much lighter than I assumed!

Gosh dang, I didn’t realize weighing your vehicle was so readily available. Penske has two public scales within 10 miles of me. I’ll have to take my modified and farkled V7 down sometime and report back.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »
Kev....we went back and forth over the weight of a V7R a while back and I told you I was going to weigh it again to confirm my initial reading.  So, the tank is kept full during the winter months right up to the top with ethanol free.  It was sunny and in the mid 40's around here and my plan was just to run to the scale and back, but one thing led to another and before I knew it, I had 55 miles of casual around town riding on the trip meter.

When I pushed it on the scale it was down prob exactly one gallon from full (as I average 55+/- mpg) on it with uninspired riding.

On the scale:

Scale reading is 429 (that's with 4.5 gallons on board)......subtract 27.4 pounds 6.1 to 6.3 pounds per gallon depending on who you believe) for gas and total weight is right around 400-403.6 +/-pounds. Tires are the stock Sport Demons...stock innertubes with no slime....bike is basically unmodded except for MG OEM belly pan which weighs ounces at best.

Had plans to haul it over to try out the Kendon UTV trailer I modded for hauling bikes but was too nice not to ride.

Awesome!

:thumb:

Thanks!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
Interesting, I think many of us will now be curious to weight our bikes

Only problem is, where can one go locally and who will do it
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 09:35:23 AM »

Penske shows where one can find their public scales. Type in your location for results:
https://www.publicscaleslocator.com/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:36:20 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 09:38:46 AM »
I'll take mine to an Grain Elevator in town.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 02:33:54 PM »

If you have a grain elevator close by just pull on the scale.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 08:48:14 PM »

Just search public scales near me.  If you allow your phone to know your location all the public scales near you will come up.  The one I normally use only weighs one axle at a time, but I could put the bike on there sideways.  Called today and the scale is broke permanently.

The next closest is a full big rig scale and I am skeptical about the accuracy at the 400 lb range. 

I guess you could roll the bike on two bathroom scales if you put some 2x8 between them and a piece on either side.  Then you would even get the front to back weight ratio.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 09:57:51 PM »
A big rig scale doesn't have enough sensitivity to give you an accurate weight. Due to tolerences it it could off by as much as 20lbs either + or -., unlikely but possible. When I raced outboard kneel down race boats I  used bathroom scales to check weight. One under each tire and one under the front support of the boat dolly. You can usually find bathroom scales at thrift stores for next to nothing. Put one under each wheel and the third under the side stand. Don't try to just use one and shift it around, you won't get an accurate weight.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 06:36:59 AM »

On the scale:

Ok, I finally sat down for a second.

Looking back the Owner's Manual claimed 436# "curb weight" so presumably wet.

You got 429# down a gallon, makes it sound like the OEM number was spot on right?

Don't know why we should be surprised at that.

I'm sure there are mistakes in specs, even some of purpose once in a while, but OEMs probably know the truth will out eventually.

Thanks again for taking the time.

:thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 10:41:28 AM »
A big rig scale doesn't have enough sensitivity to give you an accurate weight. Due to tolerences it it could off by as much as 20lbs either + or -., unlikely but possible. When I raced outboard kneel down race boats I  used bathroom scales to check weight. One under each tire and one under the front support of the boat dolly. You can usually find bathroom scales at thrift stores for next to nothing. Put one under each wheel and the third under the side stand. Don't try to just use one and shift it around, you won't get an accurate weight.
kk

I was a welder-fabricator as a young man building commercial truck scales for Fairbanks-Morse. We tested them by placing 1000# and 500# weights on the 4 corners 1 at a time. They were tuned to be correct within 1 #.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 02:39:19 PM »
I was a welder-fabricator as a young man building commercial truck scales for Fairbanks-Morse. We tested them by placing 1000# and 500# weights on the 4 corners 1 at a time. They were tuned to be correct within 1 #.
I was a weights and measures inspector and sealer for just short of 20 years. It was rare to find a scale out in the field that had a sensitivity of less than 10 lbs. I had a favorite scale that would register accurately at 5 lbs. I used it to get an accurate weight on my weight truck. I would park the truck on the scale and balance the beam it didn't matter what the beam registered. Drive the truck off and re balance the beam using certified weights. Add up the weights and that would be the true weight of the truck. Then I could use the truck plus all my 1000 lb weights to test other truck scales. It was more complicated than that but that is the synopsis.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 07:13:52 PM »
Objective data.   :copcar:  Thanks !   

Lighter than I thought.  I figured the factory lied by about 20 to 30 pounds but I guess not.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 07:15:52 PM »
Any idea how accurate the scale is, now that we know some are better than others?

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 07:21:42 PM »
A crane scale will give you a pretty accurate reading, digital scales have gotten quite cheap. These can be hung from a suitable overhead mount, a 10 foot length of 3" ~ 4" diameter schedule 40 pipe spanning across at least 4 roof trusse or rafters will easily support a motorcycle

(wet weight for a Ducati 860 GT)

For $50 a decent hanging scale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194742944139?hash=item2d5795818b:g:21cAAOSw3~5h4v0G
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »
Scale is calibrated on a reg basis. Don’t know last time but could prob get that info. Company uses it (among other things) to get accurate weight on hazardous waste.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »
The date of it's last test by weights and measures will be on the seal placed by the inspector or a sticker placed by a scale company. This is the way it is done in California. Most weighing and measuring devices are tested annually, some once every two years. I found that propane dispensers were the worst for going out of tolerance followed by fuel dispensers. It was a fun job until I moved into administration then everything went to hell.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 06:04:23 PM »
The factory only lies on horsepower…

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
I was a weights and measures inspector and sealer for just short of 20 years. It was rare to find a scale out in the field that had a sensitivity of less than 10 lbs. I had a favorite scale that would register accurately at 5 lbs. I used it to get an accurate weight on my weight truck. I would park the truck on the scale and balance the beam it didn't matter what the beam registered. Drive the truck off and re balance the beam using certified weights. Add up the weights and that would be the true weight of the truck. Then I could use the truck plus all my 1000 lb weights to test other truck scales. It was more complicated than that but that is the synopsis.
kk

The place I used to sell scrap metal to became too far away when I moved.  Looking for another place led me to a scrap yard that weighed you vehicle going in and coming out and paid on the difference. I had about 30 lbs of aluminum and the scale reading didn't change so they got my aluminum for free.

I'll be looking for a different place in the future.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:24 PM »
That's a case of using a scale that wasn't suitable for the use, high capacity scale for a light weighment. I don't remember the exact language of the regulation. It is a violation of W&M's laws and regulations. I would be doing an Administrative Penalty or a Request for Complaint to the DA. I didn't have citation authority. Another example would be filling a 5 gal propane cylinder from a propane delivery truck. Those meters are not to be used for under 20 gallons per minnute deliveries. Scales will have similar restrictions.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here