Author Topic: My 2021 V7 850 stone Guzzi hates me……  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
My 2021 V7 850 stone Guzzi hates me……
« on: January 21, 2022, 05:30:23 PM »
Well I got on the bike to go to meet my wife for a date and soon as I twist the throttle and go it goes and than I stop and it continues to rev freakishly high. I don’t know what I did to offend it this time but the tech is the last one to work on it. Thoughts? I’m beating my head right now. Darn thing is in the shop for two months for fuel relay, previous to that kickstand switch, neutral switch is scheduled to be fixed and now this. :violent1: I’m trying to be patient but this is something else.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: My 2021 V7 850 stone Guzzi hates me……
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 05:39:26 PM »
Good luck with everything.... :rolleyes: :shocked: 

There is nothing more frustrating than a new, modern motorcycle with technical issues!! :shocked: :shocked:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:54 PM »
I've had this problem before. Throttle cable has worn/kinked/binding, and not allowing to return
Another very slight possibility, the lube you used on the cable is to thick, colder weather i's even thicker and binding.
But my guess is, time for a new cable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:41:57 PM by yogidozer »

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:55:07 PM »
I've had this problem before. Throttle cable has worn/kinked/binding, and not allowing to return
Another very slight possibility, the lube you used on the cable is to thick, colder weather i's even thicker and binding.
But my guess is, time for a new cable.

Thank you. I feel like an idiot but soon as wiggled the cables the throttle kicked down to an idle. It’s definitely in the cables. I will clean and find what’s going on tomorrow but at least I have answers. Much appreciated.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:55:07 PM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Could also be when the bike was assembled, the mechanic misrouted or kinked the cable.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 06:26:43 PM »
Two months for a relay? Might need to find a new shop.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 08:41:02 PM »
I should think the 850's cables are the same as my earlier V7's - twisted stainless wire in a Teflon lined sheath. Lubrication is not required, but should be avoided. The lube ends up causing the cable to stick, and some lubes melt the Teflon. If  they don't run freely, remove them them, check for integrity & smooth action. Replace with new if necessary.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 11:44:58 PM »
Could be as simple as when the tank was installed (provided it was removed) they routed the cable under the tank mount instead of over, or vise versa.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline chrisfer

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 06:57:16 AM »
I should think the 850's cables are the same as my earlier V7's - twisted stainless wire in a Teflon lined sheath. Lubrication is not required, but should be avoided. The lube ends up causing the cable to stick, and some lubes melt the Teflon. If  they don't run freely, remove them them, check for integrity & smooth action. Replace with new if necessary.
It is better to grease, with a "dry" teflon grease (PTFE).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:58:13 AM by chrisfer »
2022 V7 850 Stone - 2019 V7 III Carbon - 2004 V11 RossoCorsa - 2002 V11 Le Mans - 1995 750 Nevada

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 07:08:30 AM »
On my 2017 V7III the throttle cable inners are steel covered by what looks like Nylon I took the throttle grip apart and was shocked to find the return cable broken, it was rusted right through in 3 places.
Even if you dribbled oil into the cable it is not able to get to the steel because of the Nylon sheath, they are not well thought out IMHO
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=113804.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:35:29 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 12:59:22 PM »
If you do want to lube the cables, I’d use lube for wire feed welders. It will not do anything detrimental to the cable liner. It is conducive so the only problem I’ve had with it is when I use it on a cable that terminates inside a carb, it could short out the spark plug if too much is used.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 01:27:17 PM »
It’s not a reflection of you or your bike, but getting something like a Guzzi means you have to develop some mechanical skills.
You should not have to, but this is the way of it.
The first instinct I would have obeyed in this case was to see if there was any free play in the cable, or disconnected the cable from the drum and checked for binding in the cable or the quadrant...
It can be a steep learning curve initially and absolutely exasperating, but you pick up skills as you go and it can be part of the “charm...” :rolleyes:

I am exactly the same as you when my computer stops..
I have no diagnostic skills whatsoever and only learn barely what I need, to get done what I have to. The bike does not hate you, but with these things you have to fill in the gaps between what you expect and what you got.
Once you have done that, you will have your bike “sorted” and will enjoy it more than you thought you were going to.
Just stay in touch here and there is very little that cannot be thought through with the combined knowledge of the group.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 01:28:25 PM »
If you do want to lube the cables, I’d use lube for wire feed welders. It will not do anything detrimental to the cable liner. It is conducive so the only problem I’ve had with it is when I use it on a cable that terminates inside a carb, it could short out the spark plug if too much is used.
Conductive John.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 02:52:03 PM »

You've lost me on how a cable that terminates in the carb could effect the ignition secondary circuit?!?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 03:02:40 PM »
Hmmm yes.
I know you will have a reason to think that, but I too wonder what it is..? :popcorn:

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 05:14:37 PM »
It’s not a reflection of you or your bike, but getting something like a Guzzi means you have to develop some mechanical skills.
You should not have to, but this is the way of it.
The first instinct I would have obeyed in this case was to see if there was any free play in the cable, or disconnected the cable from the drum and checked for binding in the cable or the quadrant...
It can be a steep learning curve initially and absolutely exasperating, but you pick up skills as you go and it can be part of the “charm...” :rolleyes:

I am exactly the same as you when my computer stops..
I have no diagnostic skills whatsoever and only learn barely what I need, to get done what I have to. The bike does not hate you, but with these things you have to fill in the gaps between what you expect and what you got.
Once you have done that, you will have your bike “sorted” and will enjoy it more than you thought you were going to.
Just stay in touch here and there is very little that cannot be thought through with the combined knowledge of the group.

Well I realize the bike is Inanimate object and it doesn’t  hate me and that mechanical skills are indeed necessary. I was just mentally done at that point. I have an odd sense of humor and find ways to amuse myself by titles such as this and it helps me not to throw a wrench. It just not what I expected after only 5000 miles.

I to am at a loss when computer programs are involved and relays and the electrical end of things. I’m certainly not a mechanical genius but I am able to do what I need. I currently am swapping out a clutch on my wife’s mini for instance. 

I found the cables had been routed the wrong way when I pulled the tank today and corrected the issue. So far so good.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
If you are doing a clutch on a Mini you have more than average skills. A shop owner I  know did one a ways back it was a massive job. I don’t remember what he had to do but I think he may have had to pull the engine.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 05:38:39 PM »
If you are doing a clutch on a Mini you have more than average skills. A shop owner I  know did one a ways back it was a massive job. I don’t remember what he had to do but I think he may have had to pull the engine.
kk

So there’s several ways to do it. I found a suggestion to drop the subframe with the vehicle lifted which gave me access to lower the transmission once unbolted and roll it out with a jack. It’s been a job but not impossible. Waiting on a seal but these dual mass fly wheels are interesting stuff. It’s honestly an impressive design.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »

Well I realize the bike is Inanimate object and it doesn’t  hate me and that mechanical skills are indeed necessary. I was just mentally done at that point. I have an odd sense of humor and find ways to amuse myself by titles such as this and it helps me not to throw a wrench. It just not what I expected after only 5000 miles.

I to am at a loss when computer programs are involved and relays and the electrical end of things. I’m certainly not a mechanical genius but I am able to do what I need. I currently am swapping out a clutch on my wife’s mini for instance. 

I found the cables had been routed the wrong way when I pulled the tank today and corrected the issue. So far so good.

Nah, it hates you. Drop it off at my place, we will get along ;-)
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 09:50:14 PM »

So there’s several ways to do it. I found a suggestion to drop the subframe with the vehicle lifted which gave me access to lower the transmission once unbolted and roll it out with a jack. It’s been a job but not impossible. Waiting on a seal but these dual mass fly wheels are interesting stuff. It’s honestly an impressive design.

Maybe that is what he did, I don't remember. I do know he had to tear half the car apart.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 03:47:44 PM »
So I need help. I’m at a loss and need a direction to go. My problem is that the bike revs when the throttle is pulled and won’t idle back down and if it does it hangs up and continues to idle at high rpm. Honestly this is most problematic vehicle I have owned.

1. The throttle itself moves freely and returns to position as usual.

2. The bike will start and idle but the kill switch no longer works.

3. When the clutch is released without gas partially while running the throttle kicks down.

4. I have checked the valves while cold. They are properly adjusted.

5. I have fuel. But the bike while just idling sputters. I replaced the spark plugs with new. I have changed the air filter and don’t see anything bad.

6. The clutch is in adjustment per the manual. The neutral light does not work but the bike shifts to neutral.

7. Kickstand sensor has been replaced and is working. I realize some of things don’t correlate but I’m trying to give a complete picture.

8. Nothing looks corroded or out of place. I have pulled the tank and looked at several diagrams and traced the throttle cables throughout the bike no kinks or corrosion is visible to me.

Please if you could advise me what to look for I’d appreciate it because I believe this a phenomenal design for a motorcycle and feel this not the usual for this brand or model. 

P.s
I plan on contacting AF1 tomorrow for further advice.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:54:46 PM by Beowulf »

Offline Dave_NWTrophy

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 03:52:20 PM »
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Something may have been left disconnected during the troubleshooting and repair.

Dave

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 04:03:11 PM »
Your Kill switch and Neutral switch do not work?
RPMS hang when you release throttle?
RPMs drop on clutch release?

If your bike is under warranty, take it to a good shop, even if you have to ship it. Don't let those monkeys play with it anymore.

But if I remember, you have removed the AIC/reed valves, removed the evap system, and a few other things.  Those may effect your hanging RPM issue, but have nothing to do with loss of the neutral light and gear indicator, or that the engine kill switch doesn't work.

Someone buggered something pretty badly. I'd have the tank off, go over all the TB vaccum lines and connections, the reed valve mods, then track down the loss of neutral light and then the kill switch issue.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »
Your Kill switch and Neutral switch do not work?
RPMS hang when you release throttle?
RPMs drop on clutch release?

If your bike is under warranty, take it to a good shop, even if you have to ship it. Don't let those monkeys play with it anymore.

But if I remember, you have removed the AIC/reed valves, removed the evap system, and a few other things.  Those may effect your hanging RPM issue, but have nothing to do with loss of the neutral light and gear indicator, or that the engine kill switch doesn't work.

Someone buggered something pretty badly. I'd have the tank off, go over all the TB vaccum lines and connections, the reed valve mods, then track down the loss of neutral light and then the kill switch issue.

I did remove the evap canister but nothing else is removed. I may reattach it. Just to rule it out.

You may be thinking the previous v7ii I had with ran great. I did remove and swap quite few things on that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:15:24 PM by Beowulf »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »
I did remove the evap canister but nothing else is removed. I may reattach it. Just to rule it out.

You may be thinking the previous v7ii I had with ran great. I did remove and swap quite few things on that.

Didn't you also bypass the secondary air system? (blows air over the exhaust valve/port)  Just trying to help you track the issues down. The Evap system got pretty complex in later years. I removed it off my Griso and Norge and 1200 Sport, but left it on the Stornello due to it being a bit different. The V7iii & 850 look a bit more complex.
MGNOC#23231

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2022, 04:41:38 PM »
Didn't you also bypass the secondary air system? (blows air over the exhaust valve/port)  Just trying to help you track the issues down. The Evap system got pretty complex in later years. I removed it off my Griso and Norge and 1200 Sport, but left it on the Stornello due to it being a bit different. The V7iii & 850 look a bit more complex.

Honestly appreciate the brainstorming. The only thing I did with this bike was removed the evap canister and plug the line and let the other one breathe for the tank vapors. I didn’t touch anything else until the kickstand sensor failed and I bypassed it to have transportation to work. I hope I haven’t come off to prickly to anyone. Really appreciate everyone’s input just stumped. Could removal of the evap canister theoretically cause this?

I checked all possible vacuum leak locations that are obvious to me. Is there another area I can check?

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
If I read right. The neutral light, kill switch and hi idle has shown up after the shop worked on it?

Kill switch: Find a wiring diagram and see if you can find a connector for it. Pull apart, inspect and attach. Shop may not have fully seated it.

Neutral light: Same as above.

Hi idle: Check again to make sure it routed as smooth as possible. Check to make sure outer cable ends are seated and the inner ends are working smoothly. If not too difficult, remove the TB end and slide the outer housing and see if it feels sticky. If this throttle has the return cable, make sure it's adjusted properly. If you do remove the cable end from what it attaches to, make sure that piece is not sticky.

Hope this helps a little,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 05:51:26 PM »
If I read right. The neutral light, kill switch and hi idle has shown up after the shop worked on it?

Kill switch: Find a wiring diagram and see if you can find a connector for it. Pull apart, inspect and attach. Shop may not have fully seated it.

Neutral light: Same as above.

Hi idle: Check again to make sure it routed as smooth as possible. Check to make sure outer cable ends are seated and the inner ends are working smoothly. If not too difficult, remove the TB end and slide the outer housing and see if it feels sticky. If this throttle has the return cable, make sure it's adjusted properly. If you do remove the cable end from what it attaches to, make sure that piece is not sticky.

Hope this helps a little,
Tom

I will go over what you mentioned and report back this week. Appreciate the responses. I emailed Af1 to see about getting it to them. But I will certainly check this out. If anyone has an idea please by all means mention it and if it turns out good I’ll buy you a pizza. If not I’ll still appreciate the attempt.

I find it weird so many electrical problems have occurred.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

Honestly appreciate the brainstorming. The only thing I did with this bike was removed the evap canister and plug the line and let the other one breathe for the tank vapors. I didn’t touch anything else until the kickstand sensor failed and I bypassed it to have transportation to work. I hope I haven’t come off to prickly to anyone. Really appreciate everyone’s input just stumped. Could removal of the evap canister theoretically cause this?

I checked all possible vacuum leak locations that are obvious to me. Is there another area I can check?

Not prickly at all, but understand the frustration. I'm sure the forum will help you track it down. Removing the canister in and of itself wouldn't create an issue I know of unless the 'plug' in the vac line is leaking.

MI disabled the evap system on my Griso by plugging the lines to the TBs and drilling out the check valve allowing the tank to vent through the canister, and still look intact for the enviro nazi inspection. On my others (Norge/1200 Sport) I removed the whole system, ran the vent lines to below the frame, and connected the throttle bodies with a line.

I'm more concerned about the new problems of kill switch and neutral light/gear indicator not working. I'm thinking the shop buggered those up.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:53:31 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »
I should have also mentioned this. If you can get to the neutral light switch on the trans. You could take a multi meter on continuity function and touch one lead to the switch where the wire hooks up to and one to the trans or any ground, the battery ground for instance. Confirm in neutral and see it it shows/beeps for continuity. At least the switch on older bikes work this way.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here