Author Topic: Whatcha Workin' On ?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Whatcha Workin' On ?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2022, 07:08:33 PM »
Tires update . Got them on with the help of my H F m/c tire changer . Not scratching the rims has been a challenge so after some trial & error on previous jobs decided to try wrapping the irons w/cowhide worked great ! Rode about 90 Mi. To scuff them in . WOW , like I rollerskated onto a cork floor . All the small irregularities & jarring , gone . Way smoother. In the last 20 Mi. I gained enough confidence to drag the pegs on both sides ! Nuff said.

I've been singing the praises of Conti RAs for a long time now. Glad to hear you testify.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2022, 08:35:03 PM »
Not something I want to be working on! I got a fresh battery for my recently finished Moto Morini 3-1/2, filled the test bottle up with fresh gas and tried to start it, no luck so I went to check valve clearance and the timing by shifting the bike into high gear to rotate the rear tire and ....... the gear shift is stuck in neutral. damn.

No way its going to budge so out came the motor, spilt the cases and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why it bench shifts but once I join the cases its stuck.

The crank, transmission input and output shafts rotate freely. I pulled out the transmission shafts/gears and just left the shift drum and shifter, the drum is stuck once the cases are torqued up. Using Yamabond to seal the cases is too thin, it needs a paper gasket and a thick one at that. I could get a light into the joined cases through a shaft opening and observe the drum while trying to turn it.

I fitted some spare Guzzi Loop intake gaskets (the thin ones) and torqued the cases together, the shift drum now turns freely with the gear selector, another lesson learned; if the manual calls for a paper gasket use it and don't rely on form a gasket

I need to make a case center gasket out of some thick gasket paper, hopefully this will be the last time the motor comes out. Education is expensive no matter how you earn it.

Another lesson learned, check each rotating shaft separately with the cases torqued to be certain free movement is maintained.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2022, 11:21:29 PM »
  If you have a local supplier , either Garlock {the green stuff) or Vellumoid (vegetable fiber) material comes in various thicknesses. An option would be a pump repair shop usually carries it in sheets.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »
Education is expensive no matter how you earn it.
:smiley:
That has been part of my education..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
Working on my Cal. Parked it a year ago when I had difficulties bleeding the front brake after replacing the line. Got it bled out now, need to get it running. The battery took a charge so no issues there. Will pull the carbs and clean them, that hasn't been done in at least ten years.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »
I rode that exact bike for a couple years in New Orleans, same year, model, color ;-) Fun to ride. Rode it for like two years with no plates haha :copcar: It was my landlords and he never rode it. Eventually I bought it from him, then sold it for a touring BMW to ride across the country.

This is a 2004 Honda VTX1300 that needs a complete "once-over"

I'm working on my 72 Ambassador, trying to install new handlebar switch. Electrics is my black hole of I just don't get it lol.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:26:08 PM by demet »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2022, 05:09:05 PM »
local gasket shop gave me a scrap piece of fairly thick gasket paper, about twice the thickness of a manila file folder, traced and punched / cut a gasket, the shifter now rotates, hurrah!

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2022, 05:18:30 PM »
local gasket shop gave me a scrap piece of fairly thick gasket paper, about twice the thickness of a manila file folder, traced and punched / cut a gasket, the shifter now rotates, hurrah!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 05:20:27 PM by kballowe »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
It was toasty today and so we took some tires to be mounted and road force balanced.  This one belongs to our youngest son.  We were just the "hired help"    :boozing:

before

after

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 05:33:48 PM by kballowe »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2022, 06:51:02 PM »

That will get you an attaboy..  :smiley: :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 08:59:01 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to drop the pan on my EV to change the filter. 

You guys are so much more mechanically inclined than me.   :sad:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to drop the pan on my EV to change the filter. 

Well, I'm assuming you have all the bolts out, including bolts toward the middle?  Is is glued on? Are you serious?  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2022, 11:33:20 AM »

Well, I'm assuming you have all the bolts out, including bolts toward the middle?  Is is glued on? Are you serious?  :grin:

Yeah, those last four can be elusive...even if you 'knew' about them once, but it's been a long winter....   :undecided:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:33:55 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
as for me... This bike is the ongoing challenge. One I've not thrown myself at it adequately. Finally finished with the rebuilt linked brakes on Independence Day, and they are wonderful. Engine is all buttoned up. Coils mounted in a manner I'm actually pretty proud of, but...

The headlight and tailight do not illuminate in standard 'running' mode. The headlight flashes bright, and the parking light operates. The taillight flashes when braking. So bulbs are good and power is there. I have to assume I fouled a connection somewhere during the refresh, rather than that the switchgear is responsible? Open to suggestions.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »

Using Yamabond to seal the cases is too thin, it needs a paper gasket and a thick one at that.

I fitted some spare Guzzi Loop intake gaskets (the thin ones) and torqued the cases together, the shift drum now turns freely with the gear selector, another lesson learned; if the manual calls for a paper gasket use it and don't rely on form a gasket

Very odd as every 3 1/2 engine I've torn down (four so far) hasn't had a gasket between the halves, and the three I've built back up haven't needed one during reassembly. All shift very well.
Charlie

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »

serious as freakin' heart....  anyway.

I got the oil pump replaced at Don's shop more than a year ago.  So I'm doing a fluid change & tune up.  Of course I drained the oil first and then I tried to change the filter - and I remembered the 4 middle bolts- and it's STUCK, like mallet hit stuck.  Like one piece.  And this one has a spacer so it's three pieces.  And I noticed the "tech" overtightened everything.  I saw his lipstick marks and they were way tighter than I ever put it on.  I'm guessing he got his metrics mixed up with his SAE.

I worked on it in my dirty garage, head to toe with dead leaves, grit and grease, lying on the concrete floor, wishing I had a heavier mallet.  I had anticipated a couple of hours for the entire fluid, valves and plug job, so I saw little need to clean up the place before I started.  And I was pissed.   :evil:  Then former AMA Flat Tracker Ronnie Jones shows up at my house and wants my vote for County Commissioner, I reminded him that we'd had lunch before and I wasn't part of his political party.. I forgot to tell him he never thanked me after I dropped off that photo I took of him at Springfield. I digress... So....

OK, Don, the shop owner told me the tech (no longer there) used gasket sealer and that he'll take care of it on the next oil change.  Why he used sealer?  There has never been sealer on it before, so why did he put it on?  And I can only hope it's nothing stronger.   :sad:

yeah, I'm still pissed about it.  :evil:  And it's been a month.  I could go on... but I guess everyone gets the general idea.  I could use one of Fubar's Coors now.    :boozing:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:22:44 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2022, 03:55:43 PM »
My Own Crap.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »
OK, Don, the shop owner told me the tech (no longer there) used gasket sealer and that he'll take care of it on the next oil change.

Well, at least he will take care of it. It won't hurt anything to go a little longer on the filter change.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2022, 06:30:00 PM »
serious as freakin' heart....  anyway.

I got the oil pump replaced at Don's shop more than a year ago.  So I'm doing a fluid change & tune up.  Of course I drained the oil first and then I tried to change the filter - and I remembered the 4 middle bolts- and it's STUCK, like mallet hit stuck.  Like one piece.  And this one has a spacer so it's three pieces.  And I noticed the "tech" overtightened everything.  I saw his lipstick marks and they were way tighter than I ever put it on.  I'm guessing he got his metrics mixed up with his SAE.

I worked on it in my dirty garage, head to toe with dead leaves, grit and grease, lying on the concrete floor, wishing I had a heavier mallet.  I had anticipated a couple of hours for the entire fluid, valves and plug job, so I saw little need to clean up the place before I started.  And I was pissed.   :evil:  Then former AMA Flat Tracker Ronnie Jones shows up at my house and wants my vote for County Commissioner, I reminded him that we'd had lunch before and I wasn't part of his political party.. I forgot to tell him he never thanked me after I dropped off that photo I took of him at Springfield. I digress... So....

OK, Don, the shop owner told me the tech (no longer there) used gasket sealer and that he'll take care of it on the next oil change.  Why he used sealer?  There has never been sealer on it before, so why did he put it on?  And I can only hope it's nothing stronger.   :sad:

yeah, I'm still pissed about it.  :evil:  And it's been a month.  I could go on... but I guess everyone gets the general idea.  I could use one of Fubar's Coors now.    :boozing:

Maybe black gasket sealer?  If dude used the black silicone-type product called The Right Stuff, you’ll need more than one beer and a little bit of swearing.  That stuff really works.

If it was me and there weren’t any solid or hollow dowels locating the pan into the block (no idea how that bike is configured), I would get out some of my trusted Spider Wire or similar hi test braided fishing line and use it like dental floss to cut/break the seal on all corners as deep as I could between pan & block.  That may help get the pan started enough that you can get it loose.  You can even use a couple of loops of it in place to help pull the pan without typical pry-bar damage.

I use that braided line for lots of non-fishing stuff since my father-in-law introduced me to it during our surf fishing outings.  Think the spool I have in shop now is 30lb test Spider wire from Walmart.  Really tough stuff. It’s saved my bacon more than once.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2022, 06:41:23 PM »
- and it's STUCK, like mallet hit stuck.  Like one piece.  And this one has a spacer so it's three pieces.  And I noticed the "tech" overtightened everything.  I saw his lipstick marks and they were way tighter than I ever put it on.  I'm guessing he got his metrics mixed up with his SAE.

A prybar wedged between the bellhousing and oil drain plug should pop it right off. The spacer should a nub on it to facilitate doing the same thing.
Charlie

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2022, 08:57:18 PM »
Well, at least he will take care of it. It won't hurt anything to go a little longer on the filter change.

We'll see.  I botched job could total the dang bike.  I've got 55k miles of filter change under my belt, I would guess 6 or 8 times.  I was thinking the fishing line might work to cut the seal.  I shudder to think about it.....
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2022, 08:58:14 PM »
A prybar wedged between the bellhousing and oil drain plug should pop it right off. The spacer should a nub on it to facilitate doing the same thing.

thanks  :thumb:

John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2022, 09:03:32 PM »
Maybe black gasket sealer?  If dude used the black silicone-type product called The Right Stuff, you’ll need more than one beer and a little bit of swearing.  That stuff really works.

If it was me and there weren’t any solid or hollow dowels locating the pan into the block (no idea how that bike is configured), I would get out some of my trusted Spider Wire or similar hi test braided fishing line and use it like dental floss to cut/break the seal on all corners as deep as I could between pan & block.  That may help get the pan started enough that you can get it loose.  You can even use a couple of loops of it in place to help pull the pan without typical pry-bar damage.

I use that braided line for lots of non-fishing stuff since my father-in-law introduced me to it during our surf fishing outings.  Think the spool I have in shop now is 30lb test Spider wire from Walmart.  Really tough stuff. It’s saved my bacon more than once.

I thought about fishing line.  Charlie's wedge idea is pretty good too.

I haven't a clue what's glued it together.   I can't imagine why in the hell anyone would do that.  I mean if you take off the pan and see that it's a naked gasket, why in the world would glue the damned thing on?  And I gave them gaskets from my own stash in the first place rightly assuming they didn't have any in stock.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
John L 

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »
     The job list never ends, but for myself the most interesting thing I've been working on lately, is a challenging piece of music,  wwaaayyy outside my wheelhouse, "God We Need You Now" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2pWOD1nk7g

I'm always in the hunt for interesting gospel style tunes and I stumbled across this beauty that was adopted as one of the theme songs for the Freedom Convoy. It's a very powerful tune, but the verses are done rap style by Struggle Jennings, and the chorus' are done by Caitlynne Curtis. I'm no rapper, so I'm doing a style of spoken verse, and I sure don't have the angelic pipes that Caitlynne does. It's been very challenging, making my Low C tuning, finger pick style fit, pushing the timing and chord structure around to make it work for me, but it's a good feeling, as it's starting to gel and work for me.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:14:24 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2022, 09:28:01 PM »
I thought about fishing line.  Charlie's wedge idea is pretty good too.

I haven't a clue what's glued it together.   I can't imagine why in the hell anyone would do that.  I mean if you take off the pan and see that it's a naked gasket, why in the world would glue the damned thing on?  And I gave them gaskets from my own stash in the first place rightly assuming they didn't have any in stock.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

with you providing new gaskets, I bet dude expected to wreck a glued-on gasket pulling the pan like you do on every 350 or 302 V8….  Then he got it apart and said “huh- look at that.  some idiot forgot to put any sealer on the gasket last time they worked on it..  I’ll fix that”.   No good deed goes unpunished.     

Charlie’s prying instructions sound great.  I know you can pry against the installed drain plug on older bikes like mine, but I’m reluctant to suggest that on bikes I don’t know.  I’m trying not to break things like I used to

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2022, 10:57:49 PM »
Try a heat gun on that sealer.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2022, 06:20:35 AM »
Two major projects going on. First is my 74 Dodge Powerwagon that im getting road worthy. Been in family since 76 and only 19k miles. Off the road since the 80's.

Next is a kitchen redo at our summer place on Cape Cod. Its been a long fight with this one!!

Paul B

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2022, 06:56:27 AM »
It's been 100+ degrees around here with a lot of humidity.  Fortunately, there's a 44" door on our walkout basement.  And a radio.  And snacks.    :boozing:

Time to get to cleaning and shining.

And then there's the service, and a general "once-over"

This is a 2005 Harley Sportster 1200R.  It came from the factory with dual front discs, and single piston calipers.  NON floating rotors.  Squeaky dang brakes !

A set of V-Rod floating rotors and 4-piston calipers were a direct bolt-on.  A larger brake reservoir and handlebar controls came from a salvaged Ultra Classic.

Everything else is cleaned and shined.  The service (s) are up to date and tires are in order.
The lawn is burnt out, and the cars have been washed and interiors cleaned.

I'm looking hard for my next project !

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »

Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on July 06, 2022, 06:38:30 PM
Very odd as every 3 1/2 engine I've torn down (four so far) hasn't had a gasket between the halves, and the three I've built back up haven't needed one during reassembly. All shift very well.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________

Never worked on a Morini but last year I had to replace the gearbox in my Ducati M900 as it lost some teeth from the 6th gear on the output shaft.
The bike was built with a gasket between the case halves but I reassembled using just threebond, of course the crank preload and gearbox/shift drum end floats needed to be set accordingly and that is done by adding/removing shims on the shafts - do Morinis not have a similar setup?

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »

Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on July 06, 2022, 06:38:30 PM
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________

Never worked on a Morini but last year I had to replace the gearbox in my Ducati M900 as it lost some teeth from the 6th gear on the output shaft.
The bike was built with a gasket between the case halves but I reassembled using just threebond, of course the crank preload and gearbox/shift drum end floats needed to be set accordingly and that is done by adding/removing shims on the shafts - do Morinis not have a similar setup?

Morinis do have shims on a few shafts, but nothing too critical - certainly not like a Ducati. Remember the Morini v-twin was designed to be built by semi-skilled workers.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here