Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1033505 times)

Offline QuattroValvole

• Gosling
Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2006, 11:14:33 PM »
Marty Burks

Age-48 (Holy sh!t, how'd that happen?)

Work-Ex heavy equipment mechanic, current travelling salesman

Live-airplanes, hotel rooms and rental cars

Keep my stuff-Livermore, CA

Was happily married for 5 years, apparently 5 out of 9 isn't a very good average, now divorced.

Bikes-every one I've bought since 1974, (hey I sell stuff for a living not a hobbie) 18 total from the 1937 Chief to the MGS-01, 5 Guzzis in all. All running, licensed and insured except the 3 vintage MXers

Use most of my money for-bikes, boats, whiskey, guns and girls, the rest I spend foolishly

Offline eldoroddo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2006, 12:10:53 AM »
Rodd Whiston, 42

Lake Forest, CA

Married to Maria for 8 years

Bought an Eldo after not being on a bike since 1991--Having a blast!

Also play around with my 67 Mustang fastback.

Love old cars, bikes, airplanes

Learned to fly in a 1946 Globe Swift with a fuel injected  Lycoming 180 (Solo at 17 ;D)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2006, 12:31:40 AM »
Better put in the Kiwi Connection

Muzz, aka Murray Turley

35 years married to the Princess (Lucy)

2 kids, one of each.
3 grandkids.
Pet free, so we can ride more.

Hobbies vary as to time of year, but throw in Guzzing, mountain biking, wind surfing, small game hunting, fishing, snorkelling and living life to the full.

We have a most fabulous country here, and it encourages one to "get out and do it".

Currently after being an industrial chemist, carpenter, quantity surveyor, property manager, school teacher and workshop supervisor, I am now a shop manager in a small town out in the boonies.

Life is good.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Zerhackermann

« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2006, 12:46:15 AM »
Location: Close enought to Moto International that I buy over the counter. Far enough away that Bigfoot is renting the spare room
Hobbies: Re-enacting 3 Stooges films in my living room

So Zer.......... is really .  FWIW, now I know.

Did I give you permission to post personal information about me? 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:08:13 AM by Zerhackermann »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2006, 12:46:15 AM »

BigDave in PA

« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2006, 01:23:59 AM »
Dave Whitehead
54 years old
Paradise, PA USA
Maried 36 years to wife Betty. (she also has a couple Guzzis)
guzzi rider since '72
Self employed home repairman and self employed mobile & club dj.
1 son
Libertarian
My hobbies are: Guzzis, guns, music, outdoors.
Presently involved in a research project on torque values for drain plugs & valve caps and the premature failure of
crush washers.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 04:14:55 PM by BigDave in PA »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2006, 07:49:08 AM »
Dave Whitehead
Presently involved in a research project on torque values for drain plugs & valve caps and the premature failure of
crush washers.
[/i]

Thanks Dave,
My coffee got blowed all over the computer and screen after reading about your "research" project.
Tex

Offline eldoroddo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »
Lots of disingenuous riddles and attempts at notoriety in this topic.
I've been here briefly, and based on casual observations, am likely to soon be gone.
There are some nice people here, and some educated and entertaining people as well...
Blessings upon you all.

My Introduction:
I am nearing 40, and have owned, ridden, and restored bikes at a rate of about 2.3 per year since getting a license to drive at 17.
Nearly 1/3 of the bikes I've sampled were Guzzis, and of them all, these were the ones I chose to ride from ocean to ocean.
I've managed many but modest achievements with even more modest of means... This was once called being self made.
I appreciate most things as esoteric and sublime, but most of the time I wish people would just get to the point or stop talking.
and now it is my turn...

Peace upon you my brothers.

Ben

Nice to know ya...have a nice trip. ::)

norCal Randy

« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2006, 04:02:40 PM »
Dave Whitehead
crush washers.
[/i]

Thanks Dave,
My coffee got blowed all over the computer and screen after reading about your "research" project.
Tex

You know what they say, Turnip, Dave,.......... you never can be too carefull.   ;D

VA Sean

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2006, 04:50:38 PM »
Okay-
The joke post was fun... but here goes.

turned 36 last month.

Married for 7 years to a recently Guzzi indoctrinated woman, who camped for the first time in her life at the VA Rally this summer.

After getting kicked out of my dad's apartment my senior year in high school, I nearly dropped out of high school to work on sport fishing boats in southern California -- I already had the job and was doing it on weekends.  Ended up graduating, barely... then moving North and doing a season of salmon, striped bass and rock cod fishing out of SF Bay... that was a long, cold, wet spring and summer.  Got out of that gig and went back south to do construction... typical construction job... boss ended up owing me money during every pay period... never paid me what exactly what I was owed, but he had plenty of money to take his wife and kids on trips to Mexico... so after a year of doing that I moved back to SF and decided to go to college... worked 2 jobs supporting myself (retail sales and as an English tutor)... continued working a couple jobs when I transfered to UCSB to finish my degree... ended up getting pretty decent grades and went to law school.  Reason I went to law school was to be a District Attorney (so I could help put the bad guys behind bars)... clerked at my local DA's office and HATED it... got into taxation and trusts & estates through a visiting professor at my law school (Thanks IRA!) and haven't looked back!

Wife is a native of Alexandria, VA and that is where we have lived now since 1999.

2 dogs:  bulldog (Beef) and mini Schnauzer (Otto).

No kids.

Hobbies:  fishing, beer, riding, fine wines, (eating) Italian food and B.S.ing with friends.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:38:50 PM by VA Sean »

tackett

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2006, 05:36:45 PM »
I just hit 40 and am currently working as a fabricator in a Special Effects shop in North Hollywood. I get to design, build and destroy things for a living (although most of the job is less glamorous than it sounds).

Bikes have been in the family since the 50's, and I started riding at 8 and racing at 10. I took a few decades off from riding, but then picked up a Kawi KLR 650. My bug for an Italian v-twin led me to a 850 T5.

I still have the KLR and Guzzi as well as a few project bikes (Yamaha XS650 50's style bobber and an XS Street tracker).

I dodged the wedding bullet a few months before the wedding almost 20 years ago and never looked back. No kids. No wife. No pets. No asking permission. It's not perfect, but it works well for me.

Tackett

theecricket

« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Okay-
The joke post was fun... but here goes.

turned 36 last month.

Married for 7 years to a recently Guzzi indoctrinated woman, who camped for the first time in her life at the VA Rally this summer.

After getting kicked out of my dad's apartment my senior year in high school, I nearly dropped out of high school to work on sport fishing boats in southern California -- I already had the job and was doing it on weekends.  Ended up graduating, barely... then moving North and doing a season of salmon, striped bass and rock cod fishing out of SF Bay... that was a long, cold, wet spring and summer.  Got out of that gig and went back south to do construction... typical construction job... boss ended up owing me money during every pay period... never paid me what exactly what I was owed, but he had plenty of money to take his wife and kids on trips to Mexico... so after a year of doing that I moved back to SF and decided to go to college... worked 2 jobs supporting myself (retail sales and as an English tutor)... continued working a couple jobs when I transfered to UCSB to finish my degree... ended up getting pretty decent grades and went to law school.  Reason I went to law school was to be a District Attorney (so I could help put the bad guys behind bars)... clerked at my local DA's office and HATED it... got into taxation and trusts & estates through a visiting professor at my law school (Thanks IRA!) and haven't looked back!

Wife is a native of Alexandria, VA and that is where we have lived now since 1999.

2 dogs:  bulldog (Beef) and mini Schnauzer (Otto).

No kids.

Hobbies:  fishing, beer, riding, fine wines, (eating) Italian food and B.S.ing with friends.

Sounds like the construction boss was a tooter...  I had similar experiences Sean.

I was a crazy lost person when I was younger.  Now I see why Alanon is so popular... but my parents truly love me and did the best they could.  I am older and wiser and thankful for the chance to live through my life the way I have.  I have experienced things that many people never will.  I am lucky to have learned to love and accept people for the way they are because of it too.  If I, like yourself can do my small part to make life work better for people I'm happy.  I don't share the fishing hobby though unless the beer or fine wine hobby is included.   ;)

-Tom

VA Sean

« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »
Sounds like the construction boss was a tooter...  I had similar experiences Sean.

I was a crazy lost person when I was younger.  Now I see why Alanon is so popular... but my parents truly love me and did the best they could.  I am older and wiser and thankful for the chance to live through my life the way I have.  I have experienced things that many people never will.  I am lucky to have learned to love and accept people for the way they are because of it too.  If I, like yourself can do my small part to make life work better for people I'm happy.  I don't share the fishing hobby though unless the beer or fine wine hobby is included.   ;)

-Tom

Right on, Tom-
Yeah - Im betting if we sit down for some (more!) beers one of these days, we'll probably have a pretty similar story.

Hey -- I know you are a music guy.
have you ever seen/ heard of The Upper Crust... absolutely phenomenal (in a humorous way) live band... they were just in your neck of the woods too.
I saw them when I was visiting my cousin in LA.
check 'em out -- tell me what you think.
http://www.theuppercrust.org/

Matt2

« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2006, 11:08:34 AM »
Hey all, I'm Matt from North Dakota and this is my first post!

I'm 42 and live a couple miles from Canada (Manitoba) and a couple miles from Minnesota.

Just finished school for a career change into respiratory therapy after working in manufacturing for 10 years building busses and luxury tour coaches.

After riding the heck out of mini bikes as a kid, I got back into motorcycles ten years ago by buying an old shovelhead (before everybody and their cousin bought an HD).  A couple years ago I picked up a naked CBR 600 done up in streetfighter style with motocross handlebars mounted and most of the plastic torn off.  Back in August I finally purchased a Moto Guzzi, an '87 SPII to use as my bagger for touring with the girlfriend of 6 years.  Now all I need is a dirt bike or dual sport and I will be set!

Never married, no kids, one mutt dog.

Zerhackermann

« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
Hey all, I'm Matt from North Dakota and this is my first post!

I'm 42 and live a couple miles from Canada (Manitoba) and a couple miles from Minnesota.

Just finished school for a career change into respiratory therapy after working in manufacturing for 10 years building busses and luxury tour coaches.

After riding the heck out of mini bikes as a kid, I got back into motorcycles ten years ago by buying an old shovelhead (before everybody and their cousin bought an HD).  A couple years ago I picked up a naked CBR 600 done up in streetfighter style with motocross handlebars mounted and most of the plastic torn off.  Back in August I finally purchased a Moto Guzzi, an '87 SPII to use as my bagger for touring with the girlfriend of 6 years.  Now all I need is a dirt bike or dual sport and I will be set!

Never married, no kids, one mutt dog.

Welcome Matt. Nice to see someone else who likes old raggedy bikes too ;D

I would consider DS and Dirtbikes as separate things. For a dual sport on the cheap I would suggest a KLR or older DR650.

Sanders

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
Sanders Walker
age 57
Wuerzburg Germany
Originally from Texas
Have been, Ranch Manager, Machinist, Tool and Cutter Grinder,Machine Shop Supervisor, VP & Director of Operations Airborne Pipeline Leak Detectio Co. and now Supply Technician for Wuerzburg American HS.
Wanted a Moto Guzzi for10 years bummed rides on other peoples, bought a 2004 EV new last year in December with the Cam updates. Did 2000 miles in 10 days on the B roads in Germany, Austria and France with my wife on back and our friends from Texas on my PC800 in June of this year.
Mileage wise would not be much in the States, but when you run B roads and no Autobanh in Europe your lucky if you can average 40 mph.
The Guzzi is without a doubt everything I expect and want in a motorcycle. I just need to add an 850 Griso or V11 sport to go with the EV for solo stuff.
Reading and Motorcycles only Hobby. My wife says the motorcycles are an obsession.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2006, 12:45:51 PM »
Steve Kames                                                                                                    53yrs                                                                                                                Auburn, GA -10mi from Hog Mtn                                                                                                       Married                                                                                                             Lumber Dept/ Home Depot                                                                                 Motorcycle Bum
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »
Dennis Lapierre
Retired city cop, now a farmer and I manage a job search centre in Salmon Arm BC (the salary lets me keep the farm)
Live near Falkland, BC
Married, three teenage sons, one of which has become a decent bike rider. Maybe we can tour together once my new hip is 100%.

RocketCaptain

« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2006, 09:09:36 PM »
Dennis, you say the new hip isn't 100%?
Why not list the model number, and tell us what it's doing?  We can probably get it straightened out.

Alberto

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2006, 12:24:13 AM »
I'm Alberto Franchi

I was born in italy the May 9th, 1965

I ride my second Guzzi, a California Special Sport, the first one has been a V65C.

I'm separated, i have a son and i have the most beatiful girlfriend in the world.

I'm a freelance in information technology and i'm a founder and councellor of one of the biggest italian guzzi fan club, www.moto-guzzi.it.

Feel free to ask.

Ciao
Al

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2006, 12:35:53 AM »
I'm Alberto Franchi

I ride my second Guzzi, a California Special Sport, the first one has been a V65C.

I'm separated, i have a son and i have the most beatiful girlfriend in the world.

I'm a freelance in information technology and i'm a founder and councellor of one of the biggest italian guzzi fan club, www.moto-guzzi.it.

Feel free to ask.

Ciao
Al

AL, It would sure be nice if your club website was in English too. Sorry I don't speak Italian.
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2006, 12:44:06 AM »

Learned to fly in a 1946 Globe Swift with a fuel injected  Lycoming 180 (Solo at 17 ;D)

Sweet plane....

Alberto

« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:06 AM »

AL, It would sure be nice if your club website was in English too. Sorry I don't speak Italian.

Don't hurry! :)

I'm working on it. A brand new website at www.moto-guzzi.us will be available in few weeks.
At the moment you can find our 'workshop' in it. Full of manuals of almost every kind of guzzi.

Ciao
Al

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »
I'm Alberto Franchi

Feel free to ask.

Ciao
Al

Alberto,

I just registered in moto-guzzi.it. The site looks very nice and full of information.

My compliments to you for a great job.

Nick

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »
Alberto, I'd like to buy one of your club T-shirts. Is that possible?
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline motoduck

• Gosling
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »
Jeff Bottrell
36 - Detroit Michigan
Moto Guzzi dealer (Aprilia, KTM, Vespa, Piaggio, & misc)
Wife Jackie
Son Brendan 3years
Son TBD minus 2 months and counting
Lots of debt

Current bikes:
75 850T/Sport
78 850 Lemans (restoration project)
69 Ambo (restoration project)
78 Lemans Racebike
71 Ducati 450 Desmo
55 Handlebar Vespa (restoration project) sensing a theme here....
02 Vespa ET4 (project - putting a dustbin fairing on it..why?....because!)
05 MZ Baghira (adventure tourer)
05 KTM 525SMR Supermoto racebike
Jeff Bottrell
Metro Detroit Area

73 Eldo with Steib sidecar
2 V7 Sports (ex Racebikes)
78 Lemans
78 Lemans AHRMA Superbike
Lots of other non MG bikes that don't matter here

If at first you don't succeed, lower your expectations.

Offline SISU Printer

• Gosling
    • My Business
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
Jeff Bottrell
36 - Detroit Michigan
Moto Guzzi dealer (Aprilia, KTM, Vespa, Piaggio, & misc)
Wife Jackie
Son Brendan 3years
Son TBD minus 2 months and counting
Lots of debt

Current bikes:
75 850T/Sport
78 850 Lemans (restoration project)
69 Ambo (restoration project)
78 Lemans Racebike
71 Ducati 450 Desmo
55 Handlebar Vespa (restoration project) sensing a theme here....
02 Vespa ET4 (project - putting a dustbin fairing on it..why?....because!)
05 MZ Baghira (adventure tourer)
05 KTM 525SMR Supermoto racebike

You know they have meetings for that kind of sickness.... :o
It will always be better to be shot out of a cannon than sqeezed out of a tube - Hunter S. Thompson

Hunting for another Guzzi

'08 1200 Sport - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Red - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Silver - Gone
'03 California Aluminium -Gone
'89 Mille GT - Miss
'80 CX 100 Lemans - Don't Miss

Will Creedon

« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »
I'm Alberto Franchi

Feel free to ask.

Ciao
Al

Ciao Alberto,

Nice to see you on this board...   I enjoyed my time with the moto-guzzi.it group a few years ago in Mandello and later on at a club outing!  Nice people.

Will

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2006, 01:51:36 PM »
Dennis, you say the new hip isn't 100%?
Why not list the model number, and tell us what it's doing?  We can probably get it straightened out.

It's a Zimmer, a model designed for people still intending to work, bend, carry weight and, I think, ride bikes, though they weren't explicit on that point. What it's doing is healing. Just had it installed Aug 12. I'm walking normally already. Should be good to ride come spring.

slug

« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »
Howdy All,

Name: Greg
Sign: Yield.
Marital Status: She hasn't left me after four years (there's still time...).
Offspring: None that I know about.
Hobbies: Metalsmithing, fly fishing, biking, making stuff.
Bike: '03 V11 Sport.
Current project: Building molds of V11 bodywork (seat cowl, tank pad, tail section) so I can make new ones from carbon fiber (and hopefully will sell parts, too)

Offline eldoroddo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »

Sweet plane....

Yes they are, and fully aerobatic too (except for intentional spins). A real kick in the pants when they have bigger motors installed in them.

One wierd drawback is that the landing gear knob is shaped like a flap and the flap knob is shaped like a round gear. :o

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here