Author Topic: Weeping over Seeping: Chasing Leaks on the EV [with Bonus Mystery Houseguest]  (Read 9340 times)

Bill Hagan

So, yesterday, I dropped by Winchester Motosports, where travman tried to get me to stray from Moto Guzzi. 

Gotta say that for ⅔ (if not better) than the price for that 2016 (or whenever) V7 I’ve been musing on of late, that Royal Enfield is very tempting.  Seriously, would be a great day tripper on some of the local tight roads that have virtually no traffic, and on which the Norge, EV, and Griso just seem over-large.  We shall see; sure do like that yellow.

Ah, but when I got home to my Moto Grappa harem, and while waiting for some supplies to get here on Monday, I went back to puzzling over a leak on the EV.  No, not that oil-temp sensor on the left valve cover.  Think I’ve finally beaten that into submission.  Yes, I know.  Please don’t say it. 

No, I’ve been chasing this leak for sometime, but I wonder if I’ve finally stumbled on its possible source.

Please take a look at these three pix.  Essentially show the same thing, but the lighting, etc., makes it show up a bit differently in each, so here they are.  I cannot figure out how to put little arrows, etc., into photos, so just look for that plug between (and a bit below) the dipstick and that fastener for the starter.

What is that plug?  Seems blocked by the frame rail.  If an actual access plug into the lump's oil supply, size?  I don’t have any wrenches thin enough to et in there to even figure out the size, much less get a grip and see if I can tighten it.

OBTW, as long as I’m posting some pix, see what else happened today.

First, this questionable car pulled up in front of the house.

Well, look here; it’s Lannis, on his way to the swap meet at York, and stopping in for a free lunch.  Yes, we still have Christmas decorations up.  Long story.

FWIW, Lannis was a great guest, tho about as useless as I am on ID’ing that plug.  He did offer to show me how to use some special Moto Guzzi tools.

So, I am still left with the problem of the incontinent EV and wondering if that plug is the culprit.  Any help out there?

Grazie.

Bill

oldbike54

Buy a set of really cheap wrenches and grind them down until one will fit . Probably somewhere between 11 and 13 MM ... maybe . Oh , and  keep Lannis away from the bike  ;D

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
I did a deep thocus on this problem Bill and have come to the conclusion I have absolutely NO idea as to what the plug is.

However, I do see a 2nd hand Breva in your life rather than an Enfield..... ;) ;D
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
The plug is a magnet. Picks up starter/ring gear metal shavings.

PS: Magnet is in a dry environment,(no oil,or shouldn't be).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:12:42 PM by Dick »

Wildguzzi.com

Vasco DG

The plug is a magnetic one I believe. '98 Cali uses P8 'pooter and i think has two crank position sensors. One in the 'Conventional' place on the timing chest triggered by the phonic wheel on the nose of the cam and the other triggered off the flywheel at about ten o'clock on the bell housing part of the crankcase, (When viewed from the rear.) the magnetic plug is diagonally opposit it and is there to catch crap that gets knocked off the ring gear during starting. Thing is it's supposed to be 'Dry'.........

Pete

PS. Thinking get about it the Cali may not have the second trigger, I may of confused it with another model, but that is definitely the magnetic plug perhaps a hangover from a previous model.

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
Bill As to the origin of the oil leak, it truly looks like the dipstick to me. It seems wet from there back to the mystery plug. If the dipstick were seeping, extreme speeds (only capable with the EV) would cause the stream toward the rear.  I say check the o-ring on the dipstick for damage.

The Yellow Enfield is pretty sharp.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
That weep is conspicuously close to the dipstick.  Are you getting some drips that eventually blow back when checking the oil?  How's the O-Ring on that crappy plastic dipstick?

PS - Bill, looks like you just beat me to it.  Red words popped up saying someone was posting as I was typing my response.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:39:08 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
On the other hand, that little hex nut you were looking for inside the oil filter may have made it all the way to that magnet. If you remove the lower frame rail access would be uninhibited. <shrug>  ;D
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Leaky dipstick.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
'98 HD&M
Everything looks pretty normal to me ::)
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

LaMojo

Hate to say it, but its probably a transmission or a engine crank seal leaking fluid inside the bell housing.  Look at the slot on the belly of the clutch housing and smear the oil on your finger.  If it has a potent smell, it's trans fluid. If not, engine oil.  My '98 EV has been doing that for years. Seems to be fairly typical of those year models.  Not enough to worry about.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Leaky dipstick.
+1  or seeping rear main. You have easy access on a spine frame to the magnet, Tonti is a no go unless you have frame apart.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Is it motor oil, or gear oil?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
+1  or seeping rear main. You have easy access on a spine frame to the magnet, Tonti is a no go unless you have frame apart.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
As mentioned. That bolt holds a magnet that goes into the (generally) dry flywheel area. It it were leaking in there, you would have a SERIOUS drip out the bottom on the flywheel housing, and likely even a lot out of the rubber plug on the opposite side.

It looks like it is coming from forward of that area. Maybe you just need a new o-ring on the oil dipstick. Maybe you just spilled oil during the last oil change or level check. Maybe the cylinder base gasket. Maybe even the timing sensor is leaking (common). Maybe even from the oil pan gasket and blowing up a little bit.

Clean that pig up so you can see where it is from.......  ::)

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Havins

Did Lannis say where he got the "body kit" for his Stelvio?   ;D  It's a shame it made him change to smaller wheels and tires...

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Pretty clever, Mr. Hagan. Disguising the old leftover Christmas fruitcake as "Free Lunch" ~;.
  My vote is for the dipstick o-ring also.

Paul B. :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
 :pop

Similar leak as my EV.  I've suspected the dipstick but can't find anything wrong with it.  In my experience it's an intermittent problem that seems to happen at sustained high speeds in warm weather....which is no surprise if your oil leak is intermittent. 

It's an annoyance since I like a clean ride but not a problem (knock wood).
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
:pop

Similar leak as my EV.  I've suspected the dipstick but can't find anything wrong with it.  In my experience it's an intermittent problem that seems to happen at sustained high speeds in warm weather....which is no surprise if your oil leak is intermittent. 

It's an annoyance since I like a clean ride but not a problem (knock wood).

I chased an irritating oil leak like this on Rosie for two years before finding a pinhole in a casting. Shirley  ;D even legendary wrench Bill would notice a bad O ring on the dipstick thingy.
Edit for pitcher
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:14:30 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Won't make a comment on the source of the drip, sounds like you have plenty of input on that, But it is good to know what a Lannis looks like ;)
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Vasco DG

Sorry, my earlier suggestions were off mark. I thought I was looking at something else and extrapolated from memory. Yes, it's the magnetic plug. I got the location wrong.

Buy a new o-ring for the dipstick as suggested and see if it goes away.

Pete

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
Hate to say it, but its probably a transmission or a engine crank seal leaking fluid inside the bell housing.  Look at the slot on the belly of the clutch housing and smear the oil on your finger.  If it has a potent smell, it's trans fluid. If not, engine oil.  My '98 EV has been doing that for years. Seems to be fairly typical of those year models.  Not enough to worry about.

Ditto. Mine has had engine oil coming out of there for that last 5 years or so. Seems to remain the same. I would call it a weep rather than a leak.
Bill

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
Won't make a comment on the source of the drip, sounds like you have plenty of input on that, But it is good to know what a Lannis looks like ;)

That it is. :)
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
Leaky dipstick.

Leaky dipstick to me means over pressurized crankcase. Which to me means that the breather valve may be malfunctioning.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Leaky dipstick to me means over pressurized crankcase. Which to me means that the breather valve may be malfunctioning.

You may be right..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here