General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Headlight switch install...epoxy

(1/2) > >>

Bucky:
1973 Eldorado needs a new headlight switch. A CEV reproduction one is on the way....the one they warn
about melting the plastic when soldering wires.
I will expoxy the wires in but need a recommendation for electrical conductive epoxy.
I can't find Greg Bender's recommendation, and the ones I have seen are $40-50 a pop!

Comments and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Todd

Triple Jim:
I'm not up on all the latest products, but I have never seen a conductive adhesive that's suitable for carrying high currents like a headlight requires.  If the solder tabs are clean, the wires are clean, and you use decent rosin core solder, you should be able to get the solder to flow quickly and get the heat off the joint before doing excessive melting.

Antietam Classic Cycle:

--- Quote from: Triple Jim on March 28, 2017, 10:23:30 AM ---I'm not up on all the latest products, but I have never seen a conductive adhesive that's suitable for carrying high currents like a headlight requires.  If the solder tabs are clean, the wires are clean, and you use decent rosin core solder, you should be able to get the solder to flow quickly and get the heat off the joint before doing excessive melting.

--- End quote ---

The plastic of the switch is very easy to melt, that's why the recommendation of conductive epoxy. My buddy, who works for the government soldering circuitry in guidance systems, melted one I gave him to do. At $45 a pop it really sucks when the switch is then junk.  :angry: Really the switch should only be used to trigger relays, so would have a much lighter load on it.

Bucky: here's what I found on Amazon. There looks to be a few good choices there.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=conductive+epoxy&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aconductive+epoxy

canuck750:
I have used the conductive epoxy ever since I wrecked a repro CEV switch, its expensive stuff but it works well.

pat80flh:
There used to be rear window defrost repair goop, which is conductive, to repair broken grid lines. Don't remember the price, but it worked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version