General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

Cali 3 to V7 Sport conversion

(1/12) > >>

rutgery:
I've bought a Cali III that needed some work. The bike had some very nice parts (spoke wheels, lafranconi exhaust, stainless bolts, alu alternator cover) which made it a very good deal. The plan is to convert this bike to a V7 Sport. I'm trying to get as close as possible to the original without breaking the bank. The braking system will be retained, as will the wide(r) tyres and front end.

The bike when I bought it:

As the front end is 40mm instead of 35mm on the V7, the replica V7 parts cannot be used. I've decided to change my parts to get the look of the V7 sport. One of these parts is the fork top clamp. The handlebar mounts are shaved off, holes welded shut, rounded and painted in a black wrinkle finish.

I've detabbed the frame, removed the footrests and removed a bit of the upper support for the steering head to make room for the fuel tank. My dad helped welding for the side covers, steering damper, seat and the upper steering head. 

While the frame was away for a fresh powder coat, I've rebuild the front end (the inner tubes were worn through the crome layer). My engine recieved a nice le mans camshaft to drive a mechanical speedo, because the original cam doesn't have the tacho drive at the end of the cam. A different distributor cover was also installed, for the same reason.

The frame powdercoated RAL 3020 red with the engine installed, and the cali 3 swingarm replaced with one from a LM1000.

I've decided to run a T3 front fender, as the 1000s fenders are inpossible to come by. The front fork is reversed to get the look of the older guzzi's with the callipers in front. To be able to mount the fender, some support brackets had to be made (I used 1mm stainless plate). The fender fits nicely underneath the fork stabiliser.

The handlebar mounts are currently in progress. A little sneak peak:

The braking system is installed on the frame, and I'm currently working on the wiring. The current issue is a place to relocate all relays to. The RH side cover also need modifying to fit over the braking system, and they both need mounting pins and holes drilled to fit them to the frame.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Interesting project!

That's the first time I've seen a "polizia" fairing meant for a Loopframe Guzzi mounted to a Tonti guzzi.

siabeid:
I have just spent the last 2 winters going over every piece of a v7 sport, and I must say that your top triple clamp modification  resembles one for a real v7 sport very closely.

wirespokes:
I LIKE it! But I think it would have been easier and cleaner leaving the calipers behind the forks, and not needed the extra fender brackets.

rutgery:

--- Quote from: Antietam Classic Cycle on March 26, 2018, 08:24:32 AM ---Interesting project!

That's the first time I've seen a "polizia" fairing meant for a Loopframe Guzzi mounted to a Tonti guzzi.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I hadn't seen it before either. For anyone interested, The fairing was mounted with two brackets at the handlebars (see attached picture) and two simple L-shaped brackets at the headlight.

--- Quote from: siabeid on March 26, 2018, 02:12:51 PM ---I have just spent the last 2 winters going over every piece of a v7 sport, and I must say that your top triple clamp modification  resembles one for a real v7 sport very closely.

--- End quote ---
That's great to hear! Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version