Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Oh, the irony
« Last post by faffi on March 26, 2024, 10:37:50 AM »
My motorcycles through the years followed the typical bell curve. Starting with a 100cc Yamaha Twin 2 stroke gradually getting bigger and bigger, peaking with a GoldWing Aspencade and on the down side of the curve I’m down to my current V9 Roamer. I don’t take long trips anymore and the wife lost interest in riding years ago. My riding style is now more sedate and less risky. At 73 y.o. I’m finding the V9 a tad bigger than necessary. I could have just as much fun on something smaller, like the new Triumph 400. I wish Guzzi currently made a 400cc range bike.

I agree. My KZ400 was massive fun on gnarly backroads, for instance. Guzzi have the tradition for making lower capacity bikes, and the V65 was about 40 lbs lighter than the V7 Classic, and nearly 100 lbs lighter than the current V7 850 Special. The V35 and V50 was slightly lighter still. Perhaps, if the market seems attractive enough, Guzzi will launch a new small capacity model.
« Last post by faffi on March 26, 2024, 10:32:41 AM »
d00d!  50+ broken bones?

I can see why you might want to slow down a little bit.

I've made it 57-years with Zero broken bones and only a little road rash.

But yeah, I've slowed down a bit in recent years.

Broken bones are overrated  :rolleyes: :laugh:

The fun(?) thing is that after I began stem cell treatments, where the doctor use instant x-rays to see where he place the injection needle, several injuries I did not know about have been uncovered, including a broken back, a broken collar bone (I have been pleasantly surprised no collar bones have caved in despite all the prangs, but apparently that was wrong) and crushed cartilage.

Strange as it may sound, apart from the long term effects that have handed me arthritis in my hands and shoulders (level 4 = no cartilage left, just bone on bone), I am happy for the injuries. Coming back after massive trauma stronger than before, even if some comebacks have taken a couple of years, have been satisfying. I could do without the chronic pains I have had for 40+ years, but learning to ignore them, or at least put them to the back of my mind, has also been a valuable lesson.
« Last post by jcctx on March 26, 2024, 10:27:36 AM »
Just turned 81; about 5 years back my eye sight finally worsened to the extent I no longer trusted myself to ride. Sold all but one old collector bike; two years back donated it to a food bank. I still hang out here just to keep up~ been here since 2002. Know, or have met many of the participants during this period of time. Hope to stick around as long as I am welcome!!

Joe
« Last post by Dave Swanson on March 26, 2024, 10:14:30 AM »
It's uncanny how many of us are right around that magic 70 mark!  I will turn 70 this July.   

I have noticed the trend to moderate also.  My favorite 300 mile day ride is in the Drift-less region of SW Wisconsin.  Over the years I have stitched together a route with maximum curves per mile that is pure bliss.   I am sure Tom Kelly and others will agree that these are some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere.  In years past I would always would get that pumped up feeling before this ride and fall into trying to run a perfect line through every curve a bit faster than the outing before.  Over the years due to a bit of over exuberance on 3 separate occasions I have collected 5 broken bones on this route - 4 ribs and 1 thumb.  None of which prevented me from riding home, but with a lot of wincing of course. 

Last fall I set out by myself on the old 300 miler and settled into a much more relaxed pace.  I took a bit more time to appreciate the scenery and did not scold myself for taking that last curve slower than I would have not too long ago.   I stopped to take a few more pictures than usual and tried to focus on just how lucky I am to still be riding and enjoying the day.  It is actually freeing to shed some of that pent up aggressiveness behind the bars of the not too distant past.  Maybe it is wisdom, slower reflexes, or less desire to break bones, but it still can be very good! 

The V85TT was the perfect machine for this ride.  Although it can certainly haul ass and corners extremely well,  it doesn't seem to beg you to wick it up continually.  It is becoming my favorite bike going into my twilight years.   :cheesy:  Things have definitely changed. Up until 2 years ago I was pining away for a Tuono.  Nowadays the Tuono isn't on the list. 

« Last post by faffi on March 26, 2024, 10:13:51 AM »
There are still many club racers out there in their 60s, 70s, even 80s but none riding in MotoGP that I am aware of.

Pete

:thumb: :grin:
General Discussion / Easy-peasy? NO!
« Last post by grandpaul on March 26, 2024, 10:01:49 AM »
A whole heckuva lotta work to get the one red tail piece off an '06 Moto Guzzi Breva V1100. take off rack, take off sub-rack, unscrew 8 other parts to get to two hidden screws, 2 dozen fasteners in all, 4 different allen wrenches, and finally it comes off!

General Discussion / Re: western us road trip advice
« Last post by Moparnut72 on March 26, 2024, 09:21:06 AM »
I got "stuck" in Montecello once when the highway through town was shut down for a 4th of July parade. There was no way around the festivities. The locals were really nice and friendly. It was an enjoyable hour. But that was many many years ago, I doubt they could do that today.
kk
« Last post by SemperVee on March 26, 2024, 08:56:21 AM »
  I call it "managing my risk"...   Each year that passes that I edge closer to 70 I ride less it turns out.

My friend who was a too fast rider by all account would joke to me and making little sense was " The Faster I ride the less time I am on the road, the safer I am"...   Funny the logic we talk ourselves into.
« Last post by Tkelly on March 26, 2024, 08:53:54 AM »
The dilemma for  healthy geezer bikers,hang on to what we got or don’t look back something might be gaining on us.I never realized I was a slow rider until a few years ago when I started riding in the NC mountains with folks who are fast.I have dabbled in attempting to ride fast but found that it was more stressful than fun.At 79,I savemy fast bursts for straight roads and enjoy meandering thru the twisties.
« Last post by Zenermaniac on March 26, 2024, 08:51:23 AM »
My motorcycles through the years followed the typical bell curve. Starting with a 100cc Yamaha Twin 2 stroke gradually getting bigger and bigger, peaking with a GoldWing Aspencade and on the down side of the curve I’m down to my current V9 Roamer. I don’t take long trips anymore and the wife lost interest in riding years ago. My riding style is now more sedate and less risky. At 73 y.o. I’m finding the V9 a tad bigger than necessary. I could have just as much fun on something smaller, like the new Triumph 400. I wish Guzzi currently made a 400cc range bike.   
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here