Author Topic: The things you find..  (Read 18087 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: The things you find..
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »
Charlie hasn't commented on this old loop yet ... he's probably sprinkling holy water at the door to his shop, hanging garlic braids around, burning candles and incense, and chanting incantations to make sure that this bike doesn't get onto his HF lift by any means ... !

OR maybe he's just itching to get his hands on it, and it'll be a Cinderella story ....

Lannis

Been busy: grumbling about the weather, especially what's coming Thursday; building two 4 spd. tranmissions; ordering parts, making a list of what else I need.  :wink:

There's a lot of work already scheduled to do before I'd be able to take on yet another needy old Loop. 
Charlie

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
Been busy: grumbling about the weather, especially what's coming Thursday; building two 4 spd. tranmissions; ordering parts, making a list of what else I need.  :wink:

There's a lot of work already scheduled to do before I'd be able to take on yet another needy old Loop.

Yea, get in line!  Right Charlie?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Actually I have, older gent with an Ercoupe - enough of an oil leak that the nose wheel was dripping with W100, he was on his own maintenance schedule according to him, whatever that meant. Did not see that plane around much longer, but neither did I see an NTSB report....so I guess that’s good.

I think that means.."It's not getting inspected. If an authorized inspector sees it, it will be grounded."  :grin:
Yes, there are a few illegal derelicts around.. but not many. 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

Or maybe something like this will show up ....

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »
Or maybe something like this will show up ....

Just finished one, engine for the next arrives in a few weeks.

Charlie

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 05:17:36 AM »
The individual that you are doing this for is a very, very lucky guy. To have someone with your skills to even take a look at is phenomenal. :bow:
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
Talked to the owner, and he said let's get it running and see what we have..
So.
Decided to set the points and initial timing while I had the plugs out. Rolled it around to the pulley mark to set the point opening, popped off the distributor cap off and find this thing.
2018-11-14_10-18-14 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I'm familiar with the Dyna S..this ain't it.  :grin: I *hate* not knowing what I'm working on.. what is it? Googling that number on the pickup reveals nothing..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
They worked well. If you have spark, just go with it. Keep in mind some of these need several hundred RPM before they will make spark.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm afraid it's a "lipstick and rouge" job. When I see black under the valve covers, I immediately think blowby.. that's another reason I'm trying to do a leak down.
2018-11-12_03-11-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
The spacer on the intake manifold looks suspicious to me, too. Like it's maybe been really hot.
Oh. This would have been exciting shortly, assuming it will actually run..
2018-11-12_03-16-01 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Hey Harbor freight sells one of those handy dandy extractor kits to deal with that broken valve cover bolt....hmmm that certainly tells you a bit about the PO...oh it doesn't leak yet I'll leave it
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
From my database...looks kinda like this one...

PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1847V

Luck be w/you!

It *does* kind of look like that, but as nearly as I can tell, they don't do Guzzis, or motorcycles even.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
     The only way I can see that that ignitions setup would even make the engine run is there would have to be two magnets imbedded at precisely the correct point in the rotor (the two white dots) and fine tuning them one to the other would not be a possibility, to my feeble mind anyway. Or if the magnet is in the plastic side chunk and metal triggers are imbedded in the rotor, the same problem exists.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:21:42 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
It *does* kind of look like that, but as nearly as I can tell, they don't do Guzzis, or motorcycles even.

Pertronix, sold exclusively by Harper's.
http://www.harpermoto.com/early-distributor-ignitor.html

Work well until they don't. Don't leave the ignition powered up without the engine running for more than 30 seconds or it'll be toast.
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
Pertronix, sold exclusively by Harper's.
http://www.harpermoto.com/early-distributor-ignitor.html

Work well until they don't. Don't leave the ignition powered up without the engine running for more than 30 seconds or it'll be toast.

:grin: :grin: Thanks for the warning. Fortunately, I haven't done that.  I'll let the owner know.
Jeese.. single points. What is the problem with setting points occasionally? <grumbling and shufflin off>
Of course, this is all for my education. I can't bill for learning..
So, for setting initial timing, set at the second mark, put a light on the coil +and - and turn the distributor? Within 30 seconds?  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
     The only way I can see that that ignitions setup would even make the engine run is there would have to be two magnets imbedded at precisely the correct point in the rotor (the two white dots) and fine tuning them one to the other would not be a possibility, to my feeble mind anyway. Or if the magnet is in the plastic side chunk and metal triggers are imbedded in the rotor, the same problem exists.

It wasn't making a lot of sense to me, either. That's why I'm asking. Gotta love the denizens of WG.. :thumb:
Oh, that reminds me. *Almost* time to start thinking about another donation to keep this place afloat..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »
Oh no!!  I thought everyone realised that my various stories got shelved in the fiction section.

For goodness sake, dont tell your friend that my Loop is in pieces all over the garage floor (or that I regularly ride a scooter) or my street cred will be entirely shot.

Nick

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »
Oh, that reminds me. *Almost* time to start thinking about another donation to keep this place afloat..

Still a month and a half away.  Plenty of time ... !!!
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
:grin: :grin: Thanks for the warning. Fortunately, I haven't done that.  I'll let the owner know.
Jeese.. single points. What is the problem with setting points occasionally? <grumbling and shufflin off>
Of course, this is all for my education. I can't bill for learning..
So, for setting initial timing, set at the second mark, put a light on the coil +and - and turn the distributor? Within 30 seconds?  :smiley:

From "ThisOldTractor.com"

Installation instructions (taken directly from the installation sheet provided by Harper)

Steps:

Installation is very simple and straight forward. It is simply the removal and reinstallation of ignition parts that are normally changed during a tune-up.
    Remove the fuel tank from the bike and remove the old ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug and coil wires, and points plate.
    Replace the old coil with the high output coil from the kit using the existing coil bracket. Note: Do not use any other coil with this igniter unit.
    Install the igniter plate in place of the old points plate being careful to reconnect the coil power wire 12 volt positive (+) to the positive (+) side of the coil along with the red wire from the igniter. Connect the black wire to the negative (-) terminal on the coil.
    Note: If your bike has a tachometer, the tach wire should be connected to the black (negative) (-) terminal on the coil.
    The magnetic rotor is shaped internally to fit over the points cam. It is a slip fit over the cam and will press on easily if aligned properly.
    Install the new distributor rotor and distributor cap with the new spark plug and coil wires.
    Check the ignition timing with a strobe light by revving the motor until the distributor is fully advanced and adjust the timing by turning the distributor until the full advance mark on the pulley is aligned with the arrow on the engine.

Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:36 AM »
Thanks again, Charlie..
Uh oh..
Note: Do not use any other coil with this igniter unit.
Unless the Pertronix coil looks like a 45 year old loop coil, there just may be a problem..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
Thanks again, Charlie..
Uh oh..Unless the Pertronix coil looks like a 45 year old loop coil, there just may be a problem..

Since Harper's sells the ignitor unit separately now, I'm not sure this is/was really an issue. My guess is any 3 ohm coil will work just fine.
Charlie

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
That include fire damage, though?

Yes, 1,000,000 unconditional warranty. I've had them bent, twisted and caked with grime so bad the numbers we not visible. Emailed K&N with any dat I could provide (measurements) and new filter were on the way.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »
Yes, 1,000,000 unconditional warranty. I've had them bent, twisted and caked with grime so bad the numbers we not visible. Emailed K&N with any dat I could provide (measurements) and new filter were on the way.

I think fire damage is above and beyond. The owner will buy new ones.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
Making a parts list and checking it twice.. :smiley: thought maybe I should pull the choke plungers and see if I should order new ones.
There weren't any choke plungers.  :shocked:  :rolleyes: Do you suppose it was running a little rich?? If at all? Looked for the reason there wasn't any brake light. The power wire from the (bodged) surprise surprise fuse block went to a mounting screw on the brake light switch.  :rolleyes: That brake light switch on an Eldo is not particularly easy to get to, btw.  :smiley:
Now, a question:
These big hummer lights are (poorly) tied in to the low beam. Will the generator carry them? Should I put a switch on them? Should I unhook them?  :smiley:
2018-11-15_05-04-05 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
Making a parts list and checking it twice.. :smiley: thought maybe I should pull the choke plungers and see if I should order new ones.
There weren't any choke plungers.  :shocked:  :rolleyes: Do you suppose it was running a little rich?? If at all? Looked for the reason there wasn't any brake light. The power wire from the (bodged) surprise surprise fuse block went to a mounting screw on the brake light switch.  :rolleyes: That brake light switch on an Eldo is not particularly easy to get to, btw.  :smiley:
Now, a question:
These big hummer lights are (poorly) tied in to the low beam. Will the generator carry them? Should I put a switch on them? Should I unhook them?  :smiley:
2018-11-15_05-04-05 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Oh boy. You have your hands full with that one.

At the very least, I'd switch those lights.

Here's a chart that helps calculate electrical usage:
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_electricity_usage_by_component.html
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Thanks for that, Charlie.. :thumb: I'll put a switch on it so the rider can run them out on the highway..

Oh boy. You have your hands full with that one.

What can I say? I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.   :smiley: There's more..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
"but...wait there's more included in the price ....."   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:18:26 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »
Hard to imagine how this shifter shaft 13251165 could get beat up like this.
2018-11-16_08-38-14 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Harper's has the part for under $100, but the bushings are "contact us for a price."
I'll just chuck it up in the lathe, take a skin cut to make it round again, and make a Delrin bushing. Save the owner a little money that he'll need for other stuff.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
Hard to imagine how this shifter shaft 13251165 could get beat up like this.

Harper's has the part for under $100, but the bushings are "contact us for a price."
I'll just chuck it up in the lathe, take a skin cut to make it round again, and make a Delrin bushing. Save the owner a little money that he'll need for other stuff.  :smiley:

The bushing is two parts: a softer outer and a harder (Delrin like) inner. The softer outer is to allow for any misalignment when installed. If you make a solid one-piece bushing, the shaft may bind. Been there, done that. 
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
Thanks for the warning again. This one didn't have the inner bushing.  :shocked: No problem with that bad boy aligning, not to mention the shifter was a "little" sloppy.  :grin: *Maybe* there will be enough slop in the other end to take care of binding..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Turned the shaft with my toy lathe, made a Delrin bushing for a light press in the footpeg pedestal and slip fit on the shaft. The bushing is brown in the picture.
2018-11-16_01-30-32 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Total time 43 minutes, material cost nuthin. (Guzzi content)
Works a treat..  :smiley: The only slop in the shifter now is the clevis and transmission arm. If it were mine, I'd fix that stuff. Nope.
There were only two bolts in the battery tray.  :rolleyes: "Them ain't important, Cletus.. the battery will hold it down.." Unfortunately, one of the bolts is broken off flush in the frame. Worked on it with some AeroKroil and a punch trying to back it out. No cigar. Can't get a drill, eze out, etc. in there without removing the harness. Nope. Beyond there lays madness.  :smiley:
2018-11-16_03-06-02 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
A lot of labour of love going into that bike allready Chuck ! Your a very kind freind.......

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here