Author Topic: NGC - garage heater recommendations  (Read 5777 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
NGC - garage heater recommendations
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
Considering (again) a kerosene heater for my 2-car garage. Recommendations and suggestions for an affordable (guzzi content) unit hereby solicited.

There IS an operating window in the garage. I emphasized kerosene because I have a gallon I've been moving around for years, and I don't want to use electric, and I don't have fuel oil or propane or gas plumbed into the garage. I have lots of firewood, but I have no desire to install a permanent fixture like a wood stove.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - garage heater recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
For kerosene... I'd go with a  portable convection heater, placed somewhere central. They're relatively cheap. You can go with the forced air units, but they're noisy. (we're talking $150 CDN here... so, what is that? Like... $2.73 cents in Yankee bucks?)

Don't dismiss propane... either, you can get a lot of heating out of a 20# bottle, and again, a good convection heater placed centrally can heat a standard garage pretty well. Tolerable working temps, anyways.

As for wood? Buy an airtight stove (the kind you use in Trapper's tents). Cheap, easy to setup, get good and hot, and you can burn all the scrap wood you can scavenge in them.  BUy a few firebricks for a base, and a heat shield for behind it. But... you need to be able to run some stovepipe, so that might put it out of the running. Plus, wood heat in a garage with gasoline engines can negate insurance... so check on that.

And... probably goes without saying... but make sure you've got good ventilation. There, I've said it.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:59:37 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »
I've had a kerosene heater for a few decades. It works. But it is not forced air so the heat simply rises to the ceiling. There is a strong smell when it light it and shut it down. An kerosene prices have gone up a lot.

I got a propane Heater Buddy and used that for a couple of years. The heat from it is more directional. There is little odor. And with the adapter to an external tank that I refill, the operating cost was not bad. BUT, the dang thing started to leak internally, and caught fire inside. That is when I realized that a plastic housing on something like this is too dangerous.
In the garbage.

Back to my kerosene heater. If I used it more often I would look into a REAL propane heater with forced air..
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »
Considering (again) a kerosene heater for my 2-car garage. Recommendations and suggestions for an affordable (guzzi content) unit hereby solicited.

There IS an operating window in the garage. I emphasized kerosene because I have a gallon I've been moving around for years, and I don't want to use electric, and I don't have fuel oil or propane or gas plumbed into the garage. I have lots of firewood, but I have no desire to install a permanent fixture like a wood stove.

Why not a small wood stove?  Use an adapter plate to vent it out the window.  If it's a small one, you can just remove the stack and move the stove in the spring, when it warms up.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
wood heat in a garage with gasoline engines can negate insurance... so check on that.

Any open flame heat source in a garage could be an issue, with gasoline about...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
I have two different types of propane heaters, they both work well for heat in the garage using 20# bottles.  However I have found that they generate a large amount of moisture and condensation in the garage.  Changed over to a small kerosene heater and like it much better.  Still use the propane where moisture will not be a problem.

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
I forgot about the propane heaters you can hook to a 20-lb tank, like my grill. Sounds like propane/kerosene present about the same problems/configurations. A quick check on CL shows a LOT of Dyna Glow kerosene types, 20,000-ish BTU, probably enough for my purposes. If that's about what I'm looking at if I stick with kerosene, then I guess that's that.

I don't believe the torpedo-type is necessary in my small space, and I have enough to deal with with the woodstove heating my house to want to do THAT again in my garage....

Thanks!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »
A ceiling-hung electric heater for me.

With probably 100 gallons of gasoline (safely stored, but) and cabinets full of solvents and petroleum (safely stored in metal cabinets, but) in my garage, the idea of an open flame to heat the place is just not very attractive to me .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
You know... (if you're averse to Hippie stuff, maybe just scroll on)…

might be the perfect opportunity to build a "popcan heater". Cheap as borscht (guzzi content) , works as long as you have a bit of sunlight. All you require is a bunch of empty beer cans (sure you have some), some black paint, a hot glue gun, an old window, and some ABS or PVC pipe. Cold air out of the garage through the lower air intake, into the heater... swirls through the black cans, out the top and piped into the garage space through the upper air outlet. If you wish to store some of that heat, build a thermal-mass battery inside the garage and route your air outlet piping through it before it vents into the garage.

Make sure the heater faces the sun, done.

Easy to make, cheaper than any other option, and free heat.

Basic idea is here... https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Soda-Can-Heater/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:36:45 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
If you need temporary heat, why not consider a propane heater?  I got one from Northern Tools for about $100.  It runs of a propane tank that works on the BBQ grill, RV, etc.  I keep several tanks for use and back up to the others.

It's good to heat up a work area.  Add some halogen lamp sets and you get some real heat going without paying a fortune or trying to heat the entire garage. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
+ 1 on StuCorpe's comment regarding Propane producing lots of water to the atmosphere.  R3~                 

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »

might be the perfect opportunity to build a "popcan heater". Cheap as borscht (guzzi content) , works as long as you have a bit of sunlight. All you require is a bunch of empty beer cans (sure you have some), some black paint, a hot glue gun, an old window, and some ABS or PVC pipe. Cold air out of the garage through the lower air intake, into the heater... swirls through the black cans, out the top and piped into the garage space through the upper air outlet. If you wish to store some of that heat, build a thermal-mass battery inside the garage and route your air outlet piping through it before it vents into the garage.

Basic idea is here... https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Soda-Can-Heater/

We built a big one for a friend's shop , really pretty efficient and effective . Oh , he isn't a hippy  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 03:19:08 PM »
I use one of those standard convection heaters. They are relatively inexpensive and are pretty efficient. I buy kerosene in bulk from a local gas station that has a pump for it. That’s significantly cheaper than buying it pre packaged. Close to diesel prices. I use maybe 15 gallons per year and am able to heat my 2.5 car garage to uncomfortably warm temps even in my northern climate and with an uninsulated door. My only gripes are the smell when lighting and extinguishing and the amount of floor space it takes up. It also gives me a backup heat source for the house I could use if there were a power failure. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:14:43 PM by rss29 »

Offline Rod

• Hatchling
    • My Rideouts Website
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 03:48:26 PM »
I went through this process, looking at natural gas vs. a big heater, and finally I bought this cheap 240v heater for $120 and installed a 240 outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOZN7A
Works well for such a small unit. Heats up my 2 car garage to 65+ in about 10-15 minutes. And I only use it when I'm working.
However, I also insulated the garage and added wall board. And a concrete floor makes a huge difference, as it retains the heat.
I live in Southern New England, so it gets down to the 40s 30s and sometimes 20s in the winter.
I didn't notice any huge jump in my electric bill.

1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
I admit no personal experience with same, but the truck mechanic I use in VA heats his shop with a used motor oil furnace - claims it’s clean and pretty maintenance free.
A very quick Google search shows they do come in small sizes.
All your shadetree mechanic friends would likely gladly contribute fuel
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
I went through this process, looking at natural gas vs. a big heater, and finally I bought this cheap 240v heater for $120 and installed a 240 outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOZN7A
Works well for such a small unit. Heats up my 2 car garage to 65+ in about 10-15 minutes. And I only use it when I'm working.
However, I also insulated the garage and added wall board. And a concrete floor makes a huge difference, as it retains the heat.
I live in Southern New England, so it gets down to the 40s 30s and sometimes 20s in the winter.
I didn't notice any huge jump in my electric bill.

I'm liking this option. Thanks for posting it.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
I'm currently painting the walsl & ceilings of someones 2-car attached garage. It has an insulated garage door. In order to get the temp around 65-70 degrees, I'm currently using two portable oil filled radiators. With temps outside in the 30's today, I had to turn them down or off today because it was getting too toasty in there.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline erich

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 03:24:11 AM »
Had an electric heater, which was a simple box with glowing wires inside. Looked scary next to the bike. I now also use an oil filled radiator.
1979 V1000 G5

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
 In a garage that's reasonably air tight with gasoline engine vehicles parked inside.....Commerci al garage electrical codes require any potential spark making device to be mounted a minimum of 18 inches from the floor...Gas fumes collect near the floor...This includes electrical outlets, motors, furnaces etc...Generally this isn't a requirement for residential garages...This is not a concern for use of a occasional heating device, but full time flame or electric heaters, yes... It like riding a bike with no helmet, it 's all good until there's a problem...And then it's real bad...

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »
I ran a natural gas line to my garage thirty years ago when the smell of kerosene started to bother me.  A direct vent wall heater was my goal. Thirty years later it has proven to be one of the best investments you can make for a garage you actually like working in.  Insulation is the second key factor to a working garage.  I find in Syracuse with our really crappy weather if I leave the garage at 40 degrees, the heater barely runs.  It takes just an hour or so to reach 60 degrees which is fine to work in a sweatshirt.  With lows in the teens the past couple of days and me doing some work out there comfortably, I am seeing no downside to heating your garage right.  And your area residential code may require heaters to be a certain distance from the floor and combustibles, check with local officials and your insurance agent for specifics in your area before installing any permanent heat source.      Mike

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »

I also use the 110v oil-filled radiators.

They're safe,  simple,  and easy to store when not in use.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
If I was going to add combustion heat to my garage I would want the combustion source exhausting outdoors like a RV gas heater. 

Definitely add a CO detector in the garage if you are going to use combustion heat. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
I don't see where the OP is located, but if it is where it gets seriously cold, one of the 1500 BTU household units isn't going to do much unless the garage is really small and super well insulated. You might as well invite a friend over to stand behind you and light matches. They are probably just fine if you go a little further south.

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »
I have a 20x20x10  garage open  rafters but insulated walls
I use a pellet stove  it will bring my garage up to 50-55  during 10 deg weather out side
at 50 deg its very comfortable for me and all most too hot with  coveralls on
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
I use a Kerosene heater  in my uninsulated garage. It keeps the temp around forty when the outside temp is below zero.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
If you use a combustible material for the heat source, make sure it is well vented. Your health and well being are dependent on it.  I have a electric heater. 240 volt 1 phase with a blower fan. I use a long power cord plugged into a wall receptacle. This allow me to move it around the garage if needed.     It will heat my 30 x 30 x 12 ft garage.  Heating the air works much better than a radiant heater.  I also buy furniture pads from Harbor Freight to throw on the flow in the are I work and hang out in.  At the end of  the cold season, I toss them in the garbage. 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
As far as those portable kerosene heaters go -  It's amazing how much "stink" is removed - if ya fill them and light them and extinguish them OUTSIDE.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »

:smiley: I made a solar collector for aux heat in my old shop back in the day. I used beer cans, though. Note to self. Do a better job of cleaning the beer cans before use..  :cool:

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vornado-VH10-1500-Watt-Electric-Whole-Room-Vortex-Portable-Heater-EH1-0095-06/206462022?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal3_rr-_-303666732-_-206462022-_-N

I've used one of these since I lived in Pittsburgh and my bikes stay toasty in my 2 car garage. Thermostat works to shut unit off/on, no glowing anything,no smell and can't tell any difference in my electric bill. I've got gasoline for lawn equipment stored over the winter - no issues. Why not electric?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here