Author Topic: Tire direction  (Read 2232 times)

Offline sauldgold

• New Egg
Tire direction
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Hi all, I have a pair of SP snowflake mag wheels.   I'm about to mount a pair of Pirelli Sport Demon tires. 

As expected, the shop manual says to mount the rear tire so that sidewall arrow indicator points toward the riding direction.

HOWEVER, it then says to mount the front tire so that the arrow indicator points AGAINST the riding direction.

Is this a mistake?

Is it some archaic practice that no longer applies today?

Is this negated by the use of modern tires?

I would appreciate any guidance here.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Tire direction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
Put them both on w/arrow pointing direction of travel. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, same Q about what it says in manual. There are front & rear tires now, better stuff.  Look back some pages here you'll find it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:05 PM »
Simple answer right here and now - it's like Steve says. It may have been in the old days front tires in our size weren't available so a rear had to suffice. Too bad that wasn't explained in the manual. It has to do with tire construction and the expected load on the tire. If it's a rear tire being used on the rear, point the arrow in the direction of rotation. If that rear tire is used in front (it can be done if necessary), where braking is the load not driving force, the tire needs to be reversed.

I'd definitely go with the tire markings if there was any question.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »
Point them in the direction you want to go, you already know where you've been.  :wink:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:24 AM »
Yeah, if you need to fit a rear to a front or vice versa put the arrow facing the wrong way.

I’m sure there are threads here about Tyre construction, there are more braking stresses on the front, acceleration stress on the rear.

Recently saw some universal fit tyres online - mounting changes depending on front or back.

Enjoy, my pirellis have been good
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:01:18 AM »
Here's a copy&paste from Avon's website:

Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?

Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre’s direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
I don't recall the arrow direction on mine, but go with the direction shown here and all will be great. You can also run those tires tubeless on those rims with the right valve installed - of course, consider doing that at your own risk.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »
Who else remembers using the 400-18 Goodyear all-traction tires that did not have arrows for direction of travel or say front or back? Didn't even have date of mfg.
All of us Guzzi riders were running them in the 70s. The front would start to road hop, then we put it on the rear. Rough ride until it smoothed out. Somehow, we survived.

Tex

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Simple answer right here and now - it's like Steve says. It may have been in the old days front tires in our size weren't available so a rear had to suffice. Too bad that wasn't explained in the manual. It has to do with tire construction and the expected load on the tire. If it's a rear tire being used on the rear, point the arrow in the direction of rotation. If that rear tire is used in front (it can be done if necessary), where braking is the load not driving force, the tire needs to be reversed.

I'd definitely go with the tire markings if there was any question.

I believe it also has to do with the rain groove in the tire and cornering grip.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline hannibal smith

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
I was pumping gas and some fellow comes over to check out my bike.

After the usual "I had one of those", he proceeds to insist that my front tire is on backwards. I squat down and show him the indicator arrow on the sidewall (much to my relief, it was correct, even though I knew it, he stated it with such conviction, I began to wonder myself!).

Anyway, he walked away still insisting it was backwards. I just rode off thinking that was an odd encounter.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
"...he proceeds to insist that my front tire is on backwards."

Was the tire positioned so the arrow was on the bottom? If so, it would have pointed backwards.  :grin:

Offline hannibal smith

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
"...he proceeds to insist that my front tire is on backwards."

Was the tire positioned so the arrow was on the bottom? If so, it would have pointed backwards.  :grin:

Haha! Good point!

Offline sauldgold

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the help everybody

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
Point them in the direction you want to go, you already know where you've been.  :wink:

Does that apply South of the equator ?

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here