Author Topic: V35/65 versus V35/65TT  (Read 693 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
V35/65 versus V35/65TT
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:50:44 AM »
Whats the difference between say a V65 and a V65TT

Is it fundamentally the same bike as I've seen a V65 Florida and wondered how hard it would be to make it a TT looke-likee

Just a question as I have bit of a plan to do some green lane riding but need a bike and I'd like to keep it in the family
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V35/65 versus V35/65TT
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
From a rarity point of view it would be a smart move...hardly any TT'S in the States as far as I'm aware. Big difference between the two besides obvious fork and shock absorber lengths is the gearing.The TT 650 and NTX 650/750 use the v 50 gearbox and clutch to get the best ratios for enduro work.The difference is very noticeable low down and doesn't effect the top end "too " much...my NTX rides very differently from any other guzzi I have had because of this.The ultimate would be to keep the lower three ratios from the 500 and the top 2 from the 650 but due to probable spline count differences I'm not sure if this would work out.Guzziology has info on all the small block gearbox and drive box ratio's available and would be a good reference...

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:48:25 AM »
Thanks FF - nice to hear I haven't completely lost my marbles!

Good call on Guzziology though - I'll take a look

One more question.

On your TT is the front of the engine kicked up so that the angle in the universal joints that would be increased by the longer rear shock length are reduced to a more suitable figure?

I seem to remember readings that the TTs could be a bit hard on drive lines

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »
TT's are hard on uj's if you start modifying shock length, the UJ is ok with the original setup
the short gearing is very noticable , a good running TT can pick up the front end on the throttle , wich makes it amazingly capable off road.
if you can find the bodywork , modifying a florida to TT spec shouldnt be hard.

a front fork swap is not difficult, neither is a high level exhaust system.
stock rear suspension is limited , but shouldnt be a problem green laning
(i have over 100.000 miles on my modified TT)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:05:57 AM »

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
I'm short legged so I put shorter Ikons on mine (and dropped the forks a bit too ) ..and I'm sure it helps with keeping the UJ happy too...a local Guzzi Guru has a TT 650 from  someone who had the UJ burst on them , and that bike was used for commuting by a lady so I don't think it was thrashed.After that heart attack inducing episode she never wanted to ride it again. I'd keep the original florida length and fit a steel sleeve in the gearbox output tunnel so that if the UJ does go it wont take out the box and/or the swinging arm too. The TT and NTX front brakes are also very marginal as it's only one p05.As far as I know the frames are the same apart from brackets and a kink where the NTX exhaust runs alongside the battery...I'd be surprised if they changed the geometry as the Front forks have a different offset to the road bikes.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here