Author Topic: Travel electrical gremlin slayer  (Read 705 times)

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
Travel electrical gremlin slayer
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
OK, let's face it... our beloved machines are getting older, and with age comes electrical gremlins. These tend to crop up at the worst possible times... because Murphys Law. So, here's something I just purchased to help with the gremlin battle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JGET4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a nice little multi-meter... fairly basic, and that's the charm of it. No, it doesn't have a million functions and auto-everything like a big Fluke meter. But it has the important stuff. DC voltage. Continuity check. Resistance. Those three functions are what I use when working on bike electrical systems. The real kicker is the size of this unit... it's smaller than my cell phone if a bit thicker. Most of that is thickness is due to the case. It is built into a full hard-shell casement that is pretty dang solid. More than sufficient yo protect it from knocks and bangs, and it keeps the wires all tidy too. I just bought one for my tool roll, and once I had it in my hands, yeah, I had to spread the word.

Hope this helps someone... but hopefully not me.  :grin:
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Travel electrical gremlin slayer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
I have several of the Harbor Freight "freebie" (with coupon) meters.  They are slightly larger but the price is right to have one in every vehicle and a couple laying around the house.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
I have a pocket sized Bluetooth gadget. Uses a phone/tablet screen for the display. Has the usual multimeter functions, plus it has an oscilloscope and data logger.

A bit pricey for what it is, but I like to carry an oscilloscope.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »
The more you depend on complex electrical gremlins (AKA) computers, the more things to go wrong that can't be diagnosed, let alone fixed roadside

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here