Author Topic: Recovery Time to Ride? Valve&Bypass Surgery  (Read 776 times)

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
Recovery Time to Ride? Valve&Bypass Surgery
« on: April 08, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
After a lifetime of decent health and carrying too much weight but good blood chems and pressures, etc., it caught up to me at age 68.  I will be going in for an aortic heart valve job and bypass (not the widowmaker artery) work.  No heart damage so I should be in decent health following this.  I'm curious what some of you other old birds had for a recovery period (sternum healing, especially).  Riding the MG sounds like about the worst of things for stressing the sternum while it's healing but perhaps I'm not guessing correctly.  Any experiences to relay?
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Recovery Time to Ride? Valve&Bypass Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
I was feeling well enough to start rehab after 6 weeks but my Cardiologist recommended I not start until 8 weeks to allow the sternum to heal. Rehab was 12 weeks at which time I left after my last appointment for a Guzzi Rally. I would suggest holding off riding for around 12 weeks. It wasn't a big deal for me as my surgery was early January so wouldn't have been doing much riding before the 12 weeks anyway. Listen to your Cardiologist. Best of luck on your prcedure.
BTW its not the riding thats the concern but the possibilty of crashing before you are healed.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:05:05 PM by PeteS »

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
I have just reached 3 weeks after my bypass surgery, the Dr has said I can start driving a car in another week but should wait a month after that before riding motorcycle.  Not only because of more muscle strain on the sternum but also vibration can be a problem.  He had a patient with sternum damage from using a riding lawn mower, go figure.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:56:11 PM »
I am 2 months out from dropping dead after my mitral valve blew out. Luckily I was with friends that knew CPR. They worked on me for 8 minutes till EMS took over and jolted me back. Can't remember any of it till I woke up in ICU. I am cleared to ride in May.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
I've had the hood opened twice since 2001.  Then, in 2001, for 6 bypass operation, and in 2016, for aortic valve replacement.

I still recall the circumstances of the 2001 event.  I'm 58 years old at the time.
I'd felt short of breath on a motorcycle trip with four good friends.  When I returned to Ohio, I decided to call my doc and tell him how I felt.  He got me an immediate appointment with a cardio.  Next thing I know, I'm on my way to University Hospital. A few days later, it was multiple bypass time.  I recovered nicely, and found myself knocking back a few beers at Vintage Days at MidOhio six weeks to the day after surgery.  Probably a bit too soon, but I owned a lightweight Kaw W650 at the time, which was easy to ride.

Next time was 2016. Age 73.  Elective surgery to replace aortic valve.  Operation went fine.  Home in five or six days.  Back in hospital for a few days.  Home again.  Thank God a good friend drove me home, and stayed over to make sure I was doing ok.  I wasn't.  I'd been sent home with blood-borne staph infection.  He called EMS, they took me, unconscious, to ER.  Ended up back in hospital for a week or so, followed up by a month in a rehab facility on intravenous antibiotic infusion 6 times a day.  The surgery was a success.  The staph infection damned near killed me (and probably would have) if my good friend hadn't been more observant than the hospital staff that discharged me.

Here's to observant, good friends!

Bob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:06:42 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:37:40 AM »
 From the title, I thought this would be about doing head repairs on a Guzzi.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
My mom had a single bypass, pacemaker, and a cow's heart valve installed when she was 91. She was up and at 'em in four weeks. Bought her another eleven years. She passed in February at 102. Helluva long ride!
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »
You guys humble me.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

twowings

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
You spent a lifetime engineering this health problem, it won't be solved in a few short weeks...change your diet to fruits, veggies, lean meats(occasionally), eat oatmeal for breakfast(see Steel Cut Oats thread here for tons of suggestions), WALK, WALK, WALK!!! Walking doesn't take any special equipment, just remember to do it EVERY DAY...eliminate stessors in your life if possible...be moderate in all things...you WILL ride again!  :thumb:

Offline 2kquotasprint

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
Had a bypass procedure at age 62 including "Left Anterior Descending Artery, the Widowmaker" April 20, 2015. Fortunately the blockage was diagnosed before any heart damage had occurred. Spent the month of May sitting in the garden and following doctor's orders. Took my first short ride early June. As previously mentioned, it may not be the riding, but the potential for a fall that is the danger. Within two months I had resumed most normal activity. Of course, no heavy lifting, and very mindful of the sternum. In the last four years I've dropped 40-50 lbs, and really cut back on the carbs and sugars. Best wishes for a safe procedure and speedy recovery. Aging is relentless.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:04:45 PM by 2kquotasprint »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here