Author Topic: 4-Day Catskill Mountain Waterfall trip  (Read 1518 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
4-Day Catskill Mountain Waterfall trip
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:55 PM »
My wife and I used to take many 2-up camping motorcycle trips prior to 1990 when our son was born. Now 27 years later on the 1200 Sport Guzzi, we�re ready to do it again but without the camping gear. Planned this as a 3-day trip to the Catskill Mountains of New York but �fortunately� the weather turned it into 4 days.

I don�t have saddlebags yet on the Guzzi but I have a 45 liter H&B rear trunk and a Cortech tank bag to hold our stuff. We each filled a saddlebag liner with as little as possible which added 21 lbs. into the rear trunk and our rain gear plus odds and ends amounted to 10 lbs. in the tankbag. Oh, and we duct taped our sandals to the top of the trunk. We planned to motel it.

With an overcast sky and 68 degrees, we headed north from Lancaster, PA on Rt. 501. The sun came out near Pine Grove and the temp stayed in the 70�s for the remainder of the trip.  Anytime you can have temperatures in the 70�s in July is a blessing. Backroads, interstates, parking lots, dirt roads, the 1200 Sport handled them all well.

Day 1:  Knoebels amusement park in Elysburg, PA for lunch and a coaster ride but not in that order

Seven Tubs Nature Area - Wilkes Barre, hiking the gorge and the 7 pools.

how do i upload pictures

Stayed in Milford, PA at the Myer Country Motel - individual cabins

Day 2: Milford, Pa, - Long sleeve morning as we rode north on Rt 6 to

Twin Lakes Road� a beautiful tree lined, back-country road

led us to the Delaware River and into New York. A beautiful ride on Rt. 55 north to White Lake, NY  and thru Liberty, NY. and Neversink Reservoir

and onto a favorite of mine.. 

upload facebook picture
Frost Valley Road. In the center of the Catskill Mountains, peace solitude of the v-twin and we wonder our way over the mountain and past Slide Mt. and thru Oliveria to Big Indian.

On up Rt. 42 and the riding is great!  Right onto 23A gives us a magnificent view of

lightshot
Hunter Mt. ski area.  And only in the small hamlet of Tannersville do we stop at the town deli for a truly �Fresh Sliced� Canadian hero with Russian dressing and coleslaw. So so good!  Next destination:

Kaaterskill Falls, a 260 ft, 2-stage cascade waterfall. One of the highest in the east. Viewed it from above and a 45 minute hike from below.  Onto Woodstock, NY (not where the rock concert was) a �hippie-like� town unlike any other. Found a nice B&B and spotted a green Tenni Griso mossy in and out of town. Ended the day sitting outside enjoying a fire-oven pizza.

Day 3: RAIN in the morning. Took our time and got on the road around noon when the rain ended and the roads dried off.  Headed down NY 209 to Ellenville, NY the hang gliding capital.

Rt. 52 took us up the mountain for a 180 degree vies of the Catskills and the valley below before exploring a forgotten area of Cragsmoore on the mountaintop. Stopped and took in an old stone church and a community library, all on top of the Shawnangunk mountain ridge. 

Gabby�s Mexican restaurant was recommended and did not disappoint as we sat outside for lunch. Continued the Guzzi down Rt. 209 for a gas stop in Port Jervis, NY. As we returned to Milford, PA, the skies looked ominous. It was 5 pm and I thought we would make it home by nightfall but we decided to stay another night in the cabins at the Myer Country Motel.� our new �home away from home�.  The 1200 Sport is tremendous running bike!

Day 4:

Saw an amazing tree carving in the neighborhood of Milford.We headed to several waterfall areas that I had never heard of.

First was  Ramondskill Falls,

imghost
Second was George W. Childs Park

Third was Dingmans Falls

All three are now within the U.S. Park Service in the Delaware Watergate Region.

Avoided any rain on the way home.  646 total miles and got 44 mpg (2-up).

upload gif image
A most fantastic trip. Never to be forgotten!
Can�t wait to get some H&B saddle bags on the bike and go for some longer rides.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:26:54 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline danedg

• New Egg
Re: 4-Day Catskill Mountain Waterfall trip
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
Next time try dropping down to 206 south of Milford and follow Old Mine Road down the East side of the Delaware all the way down to the Water Gap. Beautiful ride.
'74 Eldo
'65 R60/2
'68 R60US
'54 R51/3
'78 Honda Hawk
'95 Mystic

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »
Very nice trip, thanks for sharing. I lived in the catskill mountain area for 38 years, just a few miles from the village of Woodstock. There are many great roads in the area and you rolled on a few of them. From White Lake the location of the '69 Woodstock Festival is just a few mile down the road. I was there for the event in '69 and want to visit the Art center erected on thee site as a museum........ and look for the roach I left behind.   :weiner:

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
Next time try dropping down to 206 south of Milford and follow Old Mine Road down the East side of the Delaware all the way down to the Water Gap. Beautiful ride.

Absolutely... I have been on Old Mine Road, amazingly nice road. I can't get over how that are of the country NE PA and Catskills has such great riding roads.

WE SHOULD HAVE A GUZZI NATIONAL RALLY UP THERE!!!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »
Absolutely... I have been on Old Mine Road, amazingly nice road. I can't get over how that are of the country NE PA and Catskills has such great riding roads.

WE SHOULD HAVE A GUZZI NATIONAL RALLY UP THERE!!!

A rally in the Catskills is a great idea.

Have ya ridden Rt. 44/55 & 199 between Kerhonkson and New Paltz? At the junction of /55 & 199 is a terrific German restaurant with great food and excellent beer.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
 Lovely and interesting part of the country .

Dusty

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here