Author Topic: LED headlight conversion suggestions for a '08 1200 Sport?  (Read 1768 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
LED headlight conversion suggestions for a '08 1200 Sport?
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
Just had my low beam bulb go out last night. Went back and read some earlier threads regarding LED conversions but seemed confusing.  Was wondering about an LED conversion by Cyclops or other mfg. Don't really want to go the route of aux lighting and not really happy with the stock light patterns / output of the 1200 Sport headlight. Any suggestions? Stick with stock lighting or go with LED?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: LED headlight conversion suggestions for a '08 1200 Sport?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I need this toooooo

Bulb geeks check in please...  I don't understand all these options.. Is there anything plug & play?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »
IMO it is foolish not to take advantage of modern LED technology on a motorcycle, no matter what its age.  Over the past few years LED technology has evolved tremendously, to the point that an LED headlight - even simply using an LED bulb to replace an archaic Halogen - is superior in nearly every conceivable way to a halogen bulb:
-- vastly more lumen output per watt;
-- far greater durability and resistance to vibration;
-- much lower electric draw, less heat;
And the latest generation LED overcomes the final drawback which handicapped previous LED bulbs - light scattering when fitted to a reflector with photometrics designed for a halogen bulb.  The physical configuration of older LED bulbs caused light to strike the reflector at a different angle from the OEM halogen, resulting in a less-than-optimal beam pattern.  This bulb pictured below (thanks to Charlie Mullendore for finding) replicates the physical layout of a halogen bulb sufficiently that it reportedly works well with a halogen-designed reflector.  I am about to order one of these to replace my current LED headlight.  Plug and Play.

http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
I had an LED in my 1200 Sport for a short time. If you don't leave off the back cover of the light, you may have heat problems with the LED like I did depending on which bulb you choose.

I was happy to change back to a halogen bulb, the light pattern of the LED sucked. While the light was white and bright it didn't go where I needed it.

I purchased bulbs from 2 of the vendors mentioned in this post; one didn't fit and they gave me a hassle about returning it, the other melted.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 02:04:26 PM »
LEDs are great, BUT you need to do your homework.

Some LEDs have a very poor pattern, and do not have proper shielding. They just scatter light everywhere.

LEDs do not tolerate heat. So they need to have a lot of effort put into designing a good heat sink. Many of those include a fan. You need a lot of room for the fan, heat sink, and air flow. Maybe even a large external power supply. They often have a short life, likely due to heat damage.

Most LEDs are a 6K or higher blue color. Not really the best color for helping night vision.

For now I an sticking with HID bulbs at a 4.5k color. They are great if you find one with the proper shielding and such. But that can be tricky too.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly (and it may well not) Leafman60 did a very in-depth test on LED lighting and the way the wavelengths affected things.

In some cases the differences were staggering.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Ratso88

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
Check these guys out https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/

I put one of their 7000 lumen lamps into my stock Griso shell and couldn't be happier. Not as bright as the current Harley LED headlamp,
but close enough for not spending $300+. The install was pretty much plug and play, I used some Velcro to mount the regulator/rectifier
box thing inside the head lamp shell.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
Has anyone tried out this one?

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_154&products_id=949

I bought a pair off Amazon v($17) that have the fan located inside the reflector (the black part under the emitter is like a mini computer fan), the first one in my Griso is still standing after 10,000 km  including 1000 km of rough gravel, they were really.
I think it might have been Chuck who recommended them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPXS2KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LAtgzbHNSTPTW   Unavailable
If I google the part No  ZG-M11M-H4 there's lots available for as little as $15 for ten on Alibaba. They may not have the best available light pattern but they are Guzzi cheap LOL
Even when parked they make the headlight look interesting.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:29:13 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here