Author Topic: Convert transmission gasket replacement  (Read 313 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Convert transmission gasket replacement
« on: May 27, 2023, 10:02:54 PM »
Hello Folks, can I replace the transmission rear cover gasket on my convert without removing the transmisson ? Iam wondering if the rear  trans cover can be removed,to replace the gasket just by removal of the swing arm, etc , but leaving the trans attached to the engine?
Thanks alot
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Convert transmission gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 12:43:46 AM »
someone else on this site has done that about 6 months ago , getting the shafts to fall back into their bearings maybe an issue but you could hang the bike by the tail light to the rafters  :grin:, try a search Rick, I think Charlie commented at the time . ray
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:44:48 AM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 05:45:21 AM »
Just a few more nutz, boltz and hoses and it’ll be in your hands if I remember…I’d think it’ll be harder to handle while in place horizontal…

I’m vaguely remembering something about soaking the gasket….don’t know why I never had to go there
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »
I am pretty sure all the gears and shafts will stay in place in the case, while the rear cover pops off for gasket replacement. I was just wondering if the transmission cover can be removed in that position without hitting on a frame member, or if there are any other clearance issues. The paper gasket can be sprayed with water of it has shrunk and the holes dont line up, I have read.
thanks
Rick.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 07:07:04 PM »
Hey Guys, a follow up here, I was able to replace the rear cover gasket on my convert with the transmission in place, but let me tell you, it was a real beatch! There is barely enough room to remove the cover from the output shaft, but it can be done. The clearance to the rear of the frame made it where I had to "crab " it a little to clear, but I did it! I was able to squeeze in there, and clean everything up, removing the torn old gasket,and replacing it, using a bit of permatex 300, as I dont want to have to repeat this. To be honest with ya all..If I had to do it again, I think I would just pull the trans and do it on the bench.....There really wasnt that much time /work saving by doing it this way.  Oh well at least I know its do able!
Rick

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here