Author Topic: Honda SL’s  (Read 858 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Honda SL’s
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:21:55 PM »
A friend gave me a Honda SL100, an SL125, an extra 125 engine, three extra heads and two extra sets of forks.  I’ll post pictures tomorrow to ensure that no one is envious. The mice moved out at least 30 years ago and everything is locked up and rusty.  I’m thinking of building a stripped teaching bike. What could possibly go wrong?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Honda SL’s
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 10:07:33 PM »
A friend gave me a Honda SL100, an SL125, an extra 125 engine, three extra heads and two extra sets of forks.  I’ll post pictures tomorrow to ensure that no one is envious. The mice moved out at least 30 years ago and everything is locked up and rusty.  I’m thinking of building a stripped teaching bike. What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing Scout..

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
I had a '72 SL125 growing up, one of my favorite machines I have ever owned.
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:43 AM »
Y’all have seen this a hundred times, but my all time favourite.

Age 14, 1972
Made me feel happier than I thought was possible.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:43 AM »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 04:45:46 AM »
Y’all have seen this a hundred times, but my all time favourite.

Age 14, 1972
Made me feel happier than I thought was possible.

The bikes of that era had classic lines, or maybe the lines became classic to us because of our age.  You were born a year before me.

One of the best things marketing ploys the Big Four ever did was to make the little bikes look like the big bikes.  The big four were distinctive, but each brand was like a motorcycle "family."  Made it very easy for us yutes to imagine we were on big bikes......

Alas, I was too poor to own anything cool back then, but, imagination ruled the day anyway!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »
The bikes of that era had classic lines, or maybe the lines became classic to us because of our age.  You were born a year before me.

One of the best things marketing ploys the Big Four ever did was to make the little bikes look like the big bikes.  The big four were distinctive, but each brand was like a motorcycle "family."  Made it very easy for us yutes to imagine we were on big bikes......

Alas, I was too poor to own anything cool back then, but, imagination ruled the day anyway!
All true SRE.
We were not a well off family, but my Dad was also a lifelong biker and it’s true that the SL70 was a stretch for him, but it came with a list of demands that were non negotiable.
On my little CT110 even now, the sound and the smell of the burning mud on the pipe make 50 years disappear and I’m transported back to a simpler time.

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:19:17 AM »
FYI , I’ve a friend who’s into vintage dirt bikes & was absolutely beaming when he acquired an SL100 ! According to him 125’s are relatively common 100’s are hens teeth .

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »
Good luck with the project. I just love those little SL's..  Just awesome bikes!! 
Paul B

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »
I had an SL125 in 1972, when I was 15. Stripped off the electrics and put knobbies on it and Boge shocks and it was fantastic. Not fast, just fantastic.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:40 PM »
I’ll post progress pics. Both bikes are very rusty and pistons are locked.  My niece wants to learn wrenching, So we are going to dismantle and build them both side by side.  I did some quick checking and parts are much less expensive than I’m used to with Guzzis, BMWs and Norton’s. Also without wiring lights they should be easy builds. I’m worried about the condition of one of the frames but we’ll see.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
I’ll post progress pics. Both bikes are very rusty and pistons are locked.  My niece wants to learn wrenching, So we are going to dismantle and build them both side by side.  I did some quick checking and parts are much less expensive than I’m used to with Guzzis, BMWs and Norton’s. Also without wiring lights they should be easy builds. I’m worried about the condition of one of the frames but we’ll see.

One of my trails bikes, a Honda TL250, is currently suffering from a stuck piston. What is the best way to free that? It sat in my shed since 2006......bad on me.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here