General Category > General Discussion

Tuning tip

(1/5) > >>

John A:
Doc Harley ‘splains why you should change your spark plugs at 10K miles. Good general information that applies to all  especially with the modern pump gas which he doesn’t mention. In the old days it was considered good practice to use a file to restore sharp edges. With modern fuels once the engine has flooded  the plug porcelain gets contaminated, it takes special methods to clean it which is nearly impossible, according to a tech rep from AC and it causes more problems than it cures. Just replace them at 10K miles, something I’ve not been doing, especially if they are expensive  platinum unless I’m chasing a problem. https://youtu.be/Sk7oguB9ApU

John A:
Unless the plugs are bad.

Stratodisaster:
Changing plugs at 10k is a total waste of time and money.

John A:

--- Quote from: Stratodisaster on September 20, 2021, 07:26:43 AM ---Changing plugs at 10k is a total waste of time and money.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, i posted it because it seemed like there was a spate of posts on rough running and misfires. modern plugs work so well they are often overlooked and I have to convince myself to periodically replace them. 

Stratodisaster:
I ran the originals in my gmc over 140k. It was still running as good as it did with the new replacements. It’s amazing how long things last nowadays. When I was in my teens 100k on a car was rare without major work having been done. If you got to that mileage you couldn’t hardly give it away much less sell it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version