Author Topic: Sato Rearsets - V7III  (Read 3584 times)

Offline PMDMN

• New Egg
Sato Rearsets - V7III
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Wondering if anyone here has installed a set of these.

https://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_motoguzziV7_III_17.htm

If so, did you find the installation straightforward and undemanding?  Any irritating hooha involving the brake light switch or making the connection to the rear brake master cylinder?  Finally, do you like them?  Cheers.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Re: Sato Rearsets - V7III
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:40:40 PM »
Yes, I put Satos on after my original shifter left the field about 70 km from home. Never did find it.
Easy to install. Make sure you attach the linkage correctly... one angle stresses the link arm.
I spent a long time working out ergonomics for my body and Satos are an integral part of the fit.
Would do it again. No regrets.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »
Have them on my V7C. Easy installation. Better riding position and they're bloody beautiful too.
Bellagio

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »
Have them on my V7C. Easy installation. Better riding position and they're bloody beautiful too.
I looked at them for my V7ii, but ended up buying the LSL type from MG cycle ($150 cheaper - but they are not adjustable).  Very happy with them and my feet are now in the correct place.  I see they are not yet offered for the V7iii...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:40:36 AM »
Funny you ask, I actually have a set on the way for my new stone, will give feedback as soon as I'm able
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
Funny you ask, I actually have a set on the way for my new stone, will give feedback as soon as I'm able

I can see some lower bars as a possibility. Tarozzi have a few versions of adjustable clip ons, Tomaselli have adjustable ace-style bars, and Raask do the multi adjustable Laverda style bars (& in black, too). The adjustability makes it easier to set them up perfectly for comfort - no weight on the wrists, back & neck in a straight line = less fatigue at day's end.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
Ride faster! It takes the weight off your wrists.
Sato left a part out of rear sets for an SV650S. Fone calls and pictures could not convince them they could make a mistake.
    Just sayin'.  R3~

Offline PMDMN

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:05:15 AM »

Thanks!  Looking forward to it. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
Wondering if anyone here has installed a set of these.

https://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_motoguzziV7_III_17.htm

If so, did you find the installation straightforward and undemanding?  Any irritating hooha involving the brake light switch or making the connection to the rear brake master cylinder?  Finally, do you like them?  Cheers.

Purty! 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:38:33 PM »
I can see some lower bars as a possibility. Tarozzi have a few versions of adjustable clip ons, Tomaselli have adjustable ace-style bars, and Raask do the multi adjustable Laverda style bars (& in black, too). The adjustability makes it easier to set them up perfectly for comfort - no weight on the wrists, back & neck in a straight line = less fatigue at day's end.

Even more funny, I already have the Tarozzis sitting in my garage lol. I'm going to do it all up at once as soon as everything I ordered arrives in the mail

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
 Great minds ......
Photos, or it didn't happen.

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
I know this is a rearset thread, but I would like to second Malik's remarks about adjustable bars, particularly the Raask Laverda multi-adjustable bars (height/sweep/angle).  These bars have been a revelation to me - for the first time in my long riding career I can enjoy bars configured exactly to the position most naturally comfortable for me:  less adjustable bars force you to use a hand/arm/posture position set by the bars, but not the rider.   Do not underestimate the the real benefits of being able to set the bars just as they feel best for you.  If you elect to go with rear sets, it is important to set the bars in an optimal position so the increased load on your wrists and hands will not be a limiting factor.  Multi-adjustable bars, IMO, are the only way to achieve this ergo nirvana.  Setting the bars in your ideal, most comfortable position (this differs for every individual), IMO, takes priority over rear sets.  Heartily suggest you try the Raask Laverda multi-adjustable bars, which bolt directly to the bar clamps on your upper triple.  You will enjoy experimenting with positions, and you will be majorly pleased when you finally zero in on the satisfying position in which you were born to ride.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »
Great minds ......
Photos, or it didn't happen.

Best I can do for now  :thumb:

I know this is a rearset thread, but I would like to second Malik's remarks about adjustable bars, particularly the Raask Laverda multi-adjustable bars (height/sweep/angle).  These bars have been a revelation to me - for the first time in my long riding career I can enjoy bars configured exactly to the position most naturally comfortable for me:  less adjustable bars force you to use a hand/arm/posture position set by the bars, but not the rider.   Do not underestimate the the real benefits of being able to set the bars just as they feel best for you.  If you elect to go with rear sets, it is important to set the bars in an optimal position so the increased load on your wrists and hands will not be a limiting factor.  Multi-adjustable bars, IMO, are the only way to achieve this ergo nirvana.  Setting the bars in your ideal, most comfortable position (this differs for every individual), IMO, takes priority over rear sets.  Heartily suggest you try the Raask Laverda multi-adjustable bars, which bolt directly to the bar clamps on your upper triple.  You will enjoy experimenting with positions, and you will be majorly pleased when you finally zero in on the satisfying position in which you were born to ride.

I actually came very, very close to ordering these, the Jota 2.0 specifically: https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle-parts-c26/triumph-bonneville-c25/motone-jota-2-0-adjustable-handlebars-22mm-7-8-diameter-black-p1990

It was a very close 2nd for me and really the tarrozis only edged ahead because I had never had a bike with dedicated clip ons before and I wanted to change that and try something I haven't before, same case being with the rear sets, I've never had a bike with them. It may sound like flawed logic and I'm sure it is as obviously the Jota style bar is nothing like I've experienced. It's one of those heart vs. mind things for me.

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
The Tarozzi Hi-Rise clips are an excellent choice as well - lots of adjustability, high quality.  Congrats!

The Motone Laverda 2 bars are an interesting refinement to an already-terrific product!  Thanks for sharing.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 10:40:16 AM »
Laverda bars are from Brevattatta
Or a near enough spelling
They are very well machined and have a solid finish
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline TexMexStrada

• New Egg
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
I’ve been running the Sato Rearsets in combination with a Motone Jota 2.0 bar on my V7III Stone for over 4,000 miles now, great combo, strongly recommended!

The Satos are brilliant:
A. Outstanding craftsmanship & engineering. Everything just fell right into place during installation.
B. The function is fantastic. The bike shifts better than with the OEM footpegs, your feet are more inboard, the footpeg grip is better than OEM, and they are much more comfortable for a long day on the road while also improving the sense of control of the bike.
C. The extensive adjustablility makes them worth every penny (there are cheaper options out there) as you can dial them in to your exact preference.

The Jota 2.0 bar has two advantages over the other bars/clip-ons in my book:
#1: Way more options to fine tune your ergos, and you can adjust them in just a few minutes.
#2: It retains (or exceeds, depending on your setup) the width of the stock V7III Stone handlebars, meaning shoulder comfort & steering leverage are also retained.
The Jota 2.0 does have disadvantages too:
#1: The quality of the workmanship & customer service doesn’t necessarily match the price (I had to go find my own bolts to be able to actually safely assemble the bars, the finish scratches really easily)
#2: They don’t have the mounting holes for the switchgear/controls, so you have to find your own solution for that

But, on the bottom line, the combination of the Sato Rearsets and the Motone Jota 2.0 bar is a major winner in my book. Especially as I can take the ergos from sporty (bars forward & down, pegs back & up) to scrambler (bars up & back, pegs forward & down) in 5min, dialing in a position that fits me spot-on each time.

If you'd like to hear more about them, and also see both of them on the bike, please feel free to check out my video reviews
Sato Racing Rearsets: https://youtu.be/2G3Sb6VcItg
Motone Jota 2.0 Handlebars: https://youtu.be/UmBZ5XnYx4I
TexMexStrada

2018 V7III Stone

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 06:19:22 AM »
I’ve been running the Sato Rearsets in combination with a Motone Jota 2.0 bar on my V7III Stone for over 4,000 miles now, great combo, strongly recommended!

The Satos are brilliant:
A. Outstanding craftsmanship & engineering. Everything just fell right into place during installation.
B. The function is fantastic. The bike shifts better than with the OEM footpegs, your feet are more inboard, the footpeg grip is better than OEM, and they are much more comfortable for a long day on the road while also improving the sense of control of the bike.
C. The extensive adjustablility makes them worth every penny (there are cheaper options out there) as you can dial them in to your exact preference.

The Jota 2.0 bar has two advantages over the other bars/clip-ons in my book:
#1: Way more options to fine tune your ergos, and you can adjust them in just a few minutes.
#2: It retains (or exceeds, depending on your setup) the width of the stock V7III Stone handlebars, meaning shoulder comfort & steering leverage are also retained.
The Jota 2.0 does have disadvantages too:
#1: The quality of the workmanship & customer service doesn’t necessarily match the price (I had to go find my own bolts to be able to actually safely assemble the bars, the finish scratches really easily)
#2: They don’t have the mounting holes for the switchgear/controls, so you have to find your own solution for that

But, on the bottom line, the combination of the Sato Rearsets and the Motone Jota 2.0 bar is a major winner in my book. Especially as I can take the ergos from sporty (bars forward & down, pegs back & up) to scrambler (bars up & back, pegs forward & down) in 5min, dialing in a position that fits me spot-on each time.

If you'd like to hear more about them, and also see both of them on the bike, please feel free to check out my video reviews
Sato Racing Rearsets: https://youtu.be/2G3Sb6VcItg
Motone Jota 2.0 Handlebars: https://youtu.be/UmBZ5XnYx4I

Did your fairing come in matt black, or did you paint it? 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline TexMexStrada

• New Egg
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »
Did your fairing come in matt black, or did you paint it?

Thank you for the question! The fairing came in that color. It is a universal piece off of Amazon that I'm adapting for the V7 (needed a big file and lots of elbow grease), i.e. my shelter-in-place project. Once I have it properly tested (at least 500 miles) and some actual brackets made (held on by zip-ties right now), I'll do a review and be glad to share it here. You can see more pictures of it on my facebook if you like: https://www.facebook.com/texmexstrada/posts/2516819368567195

If it passes all the tests and I deem it a keeper, I will have to decide if I keep it in that color or have it painted to match the tank.
TexMexStrada

2018 V7III Stone

Offline guzzi771

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
I got them and the only 2 things I don't like is the pegs don't fold up and no rubber

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
I got them and the only 2 things I don't like is the pegs don't fold up and no rubber

Never an issue for me. I never scraped the pegs on my V7C although I scraped my boots plenty of times. I found the grip much better on my soles without rubber. I just changed my Bellagio rubber pegs for LSL knurled aluminium.
Bellagio

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 04:46:31 PM »
Re the Jota-style bars.

On the V7C I have the Raask version installed. They come either chromed or black painted. When they chrome them, the knuckles are also chromed, so the machined surfaces are no longer as fine as they would otherwise be. The black paint is not as thick as the chrome, so marginally better. Even so they still work, though I have had to keep a section of 10mm Allen key handy to tighten the screws that occasionally undo themselves.

When I came across the Motone ones, I was attracted by the specs on the knuckles - they are bare, uncovered stainless (with an extra tooth). That's positive, but as TexMex says, their quality control is not the best. Mine arrived with a dusting of fine powdered rust on all the non-stainless bits, obvious on the insides of all 3 of the plastic bags that they came in. The knuckles were unaffected. Two of the four supplied screws were too short, and the advertised plugs for the screw caps were missing completely. Motone's customer service was very good, as good as can be expected from the other side of the globe, and likely to be even better in the UK. As did TexMex, for the price, I expected better.

Do note that I was told that Motone plan making the whole bars from stainless at some time in the future.

As well as Motone & Raask, tecbikeparts.com (another UK business) also make a version, and for half the price of the Motone. A mate has them on his GRiSO and is happy.

The other "disadvantage" TexMex listed - the lack of holes to locate the switch blocks - I regard as a feature. As you keep adjusting the bars to find the correct position for you, the place where you want the switch blocks will change. I wrapped the bars with several layers of electrical tape, enough so the proud knob indents into the tape when clamped on. Only drill the hole & remove the tape when you've found your ideal position. That way you end up with only one hole each side. Also make sure the LHS block doesn't interfere with the clutch switch, especially on the 2TB bikes which need the clutch pulled in in order to start.

As a side note (sic), I've found that the stock mirrors now actually work well - the low (and wide) bars position the mirrors so that you can see past your arms & shoulders. And I don't have to turn my head quite so much to check the rear view, as I did with bar ends. As bar ends, the CRG's, and especially the LS version are brilliant. All parts replaceable, all very well made, but even after years of use I couldn't get used to the far view effect of the convex lense. I don't get as good a view of the luggage, perhaps, but the view is just fine, as is the clearance while lane splitting.

Offline TexMexStrada

• New Egg
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »

Good feedback, thank you! Follow-up questions though:
#1: Why does the foldability concern you? Because your legs bump up against them or in case of a crash?
#2: I saw the lack of rubber as a plus, as the pegs are supper grippy and also offer very good feel/feedback. Why is the lack of rubber a negative for you?
TexMexStrada

2018 V7III Stone

Offline TexMexStrada

• New Egg
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
Re the Jota-style bars.

On the V7C I have the Raask version installed. They come either chromed or black painted. When they chrome them, the knuckles are also chromed, so the machined surfaces are no longer as fine as they would otherwise be. The black paint is not as thick as the chrome, so marginally better. Even so they still work, though I have had to keep a section of 10mm Allen key handy to tighten the screws that occasionally undo themselves.

When I came across the Motone ones, I was attracted by the specs on the knuckles - they are bare, uncovered stainless (with an extra tooth). That's positive, but as TexMex says, their quality control is not the best. Mine arrived with a dusting of fine powdered rust on all the non-stainless bits, obvious on the insides of all 3 of the plastic bags that they came in. The knuckles were unaffected. Two of the four supplied screws were too short, and the advertised plugs for the screw caps were missing completely. Motone's customer service was very good, as good as can be expected from the other side of the globe, and likely to be even better in the UK. As did TexMex, for the price, I expected better.

Do note that I was told that Motone plan making the whole bars from stainless at some time in the future.

As well as Motone & Raask, tecbikeparts.com (another UK business) also make a version, and for half the price of the Motone. A mate has them on his GRiSO and is happy.

The other "disadvantage" TexMex listed - the lack of holes to locate the switch blocks - I regard as a feature. As you keep adjusting the bars to find the correct position for you, the place where you want the switch blocks will change. I wrapped the bars with several layers of electrical tape, enough so the proud knob indents into the tape when clamped on. Only drill the hole & remove the tape when you've found your ideal position. That way you end up with only one hole each side. Also make sure the LHS block doesn't interfere with the clutch switch, especially on the 2TB bikes which need the clutch pulled in in order to start.

As a side note (sic), I've found that the stock mirrors now actually work well - the low (and wide) bars position the mirrors so that you can see past your arms & shoulders. And I don't have to turn my head quite so much to check the rear view, as I did with bar ends. As bar ends, the CRG's, and especially the LS version are brilliant. All parts replaceable, all very well made, but even after years of use I couldn't get used to the far view effect of the convex lense. I don't get as good a view of the luggage, perhaps, but the view is just fine, as is the clearance while lane splitting.

Thank you for the feedback, and the additional info! I'll be on the lookout for the stainless update from Motone, that would be a nice upgrade (if they offer them painted black). Great strategy on using the tape on the bars, wished I'd thought of that, thank you for sharing that!

About the OEM mirrors mounted on the Jota bars, that is a great point. They actually do work better on the Jota bars than on the OEM handlebars (where they are pretty terrible). I had already used the CRG LS when I had the OEM handlebars, so I just stayed with them out of habit, I didn't want to relocate my Ram X-Mount, and I actually liked the view out of the convex mirror. Everybody has slightly different preferences I guess. But I did try the OEM mirrors on the Jota bars in the garage, and was tempted to keep them due to the significant improvement in field of view compared to the OEM position and somewhat intriguing tilted & dropped look.

Thank you for sharing once again, I appreciate you! 
TexMexStrada

2018 V7III Stone

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 04:46:33 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread. The V7 850 foot pegs / hangers look to be the same as the V7 III. Can anyone confirm?  I'm looking for rearsets and Sato don't have for the V7 850 and responses I'm getting from the company don't currently fill me with hope that they will.
V7 850 Centenario

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 07:39:56 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread. The V7 850 foot pegs / hangers look to be the same as the V7 III. Can anyone confirm?  I'm looking for rearsets and Sato don't have for the V7 850 and responses I'm getting from the company don't currently fill me with hope that they will.

You might research parts drawings and see if the OEM part number is the same.

If they aren't, I could take some measurements of my removed parts.

Love the Sato racing rearsets.  Best change for hip comfort I made.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 07:50:06 AM »
You might research parts drawings and see if the OEM part number is the same.

If they aren't, I could take some measurements of my removed parts.

Love the Sato racing rearsets.  Best change for hip comfort I made.

Aha.  Good idea. I'll have a look. Thanks

BINGO.  Footrest hangers are same numbers.

V7-850
RHS - 2B002919
LHS - 2B002219

V7 III (2020)
RHS - 2B002218 but changed to 2B002219
LHS - 2B002219

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 08:03:01 AM by Kildareman »
V7 850 Centenario

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
For those interested Rear sets for V7-850 & V7 III are the same.  For reference see below.  Just got to wait now.

https://www.babyface.co.jp/Parts_MotoGuzzi_V7.htm
V7 850 Centenario

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 06:38:32 AM »
They've arrived Yay.  Google translate yay

V7 850 Centenario

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
 :thumb:

I still have not connected the rear brake switch.  Will do it when I change brake fluid this season.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kildareman

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2022, 04:05:46 AM »
Left hand side fitted.

Original footpeg location between mounting points left of centre.

Some MG parts are reused, bolts etc.  The ball joint is reused and switched from inside to outside. I need to ride but am happy with the gear change position. Sitting on the 850 with one foot forward and one back feels strange!  Happy with the position though.
Got mine from Webike in Japan so get Babyface logo on mine & not Sato racing (for western markets)
My Japanese is non-existent so I spent some time identifying all parts while still in the wrapper - see photo above.  Once that was done it was all relatively simple.

V7 850 Centenario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here