Author Topic: Stelvio and 8V Spark Plug Caps. Need NGK SB05E  (Read 53648 times)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio and 8V Spark Plug Caps. Need NGK SB05E
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »

Living dangerously!    :wink:

Lannis

Retired curmudgeon!!!
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
Retired curmudgeon!!!

And looking forward to my promotion to "Old Toot"....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Lannis

I don't know but if you coasted more on the downhills you probably would have gotten more miles out of those flatties....

Mark

Offline Donzo

• New Egg
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2023, 06:07:30 PM »
Just a quick note to remind Leafman and others that these instructions are as useful today (2023) as they were in 2013. After changing my spark plugs today in my 2017 Griso, I swapped the OEM resistors for new NGK ones. Went with the SBO5E ones and added the large end caps from a pair of SDO5F’s. The step-by-step procedure with photos helped immensely. Only step I didn’t follow (forgot) was to attach cable ties to the new resistors to help get them off next time. Guess I’ll have to coax them off later on with a screwdriver through the exhaust port.

Regards,

Donzo

2017 Griso 8V SE
Current bike:
2017 Griso 8V SE
Beetle map, Termignoni exhaust, Matris suspension

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2023, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2023, 06:58:13 AM »
Just a quick note to remind Leafman and others that these instructions are as useful today (2023) as they were in 2013. After changing my spark plugs today in my 2017 Griso, I swapped the OEM resistors for new NGK ones. Went with the SBO5E ones and added the large end caps from a pair of SDO5F’s. The step-by-step procedure with photos helped immensely. Only step I didn’t follow (forgot) was to attach cable ties to the new resistors to help get them off next time. Guess I’ll have to coax them off later on with a screwdriver through the exhaust port.

Regards,

Donzo

2017 Griso 8V SE

Hi and thanks.  Yeah, I too have a late model Griso and I want to convert my plug caps.  Also need to tear off the whole rear drive train and lube the suspension bearings.  I also need to .... LOL

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2023, 07:20:49 AM »
A quick check shows that NGK has discontinued the SB05E although some are available on Ebay at a premium.

Perhaps a SD05E can be obtained from Europe that should work to directly replace the stock caps without using two NGK caps and swapping out the seals.

Ok, I just ordered a pair of NGK SD05E from:

https://www.moto-renzo.biz/Electrics--Electronics/Spark-Plug-Connectors-and-Ignition-Cables/SD05E.html?language=en

Total cost for two delivered to US was 23.65 EU.  Fingers crossed that this will work.  I'll update later to verify that these fit.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 07:46:28 AM by leafman60 »

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2023, 08:45:19 AM »
Other than the spark plug issues,how has your experience been with the Stelvio after all this time.It must have been good if you still have it.My 2014 has been a great workhorse ove 86000 miles.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2023, 10:33:42 AM »
Other than the spark plug issues,how has your experience been with the Stelvio after all this time.It must have been good if you still have it.My 2014 has been a great workhorse ove 86000 miles.

The Stelvio was maybe the most enjoyable motorcycle to ride that I've owned. Unfortunately, my 2012 model suffered upon me many problems and breakdowns. Everything that went wrong, I could trace back to poor engineering and quality control at the factory level. I sold it years ago and bought a new BMW GS.  At the time I sold it, my thinking was, at almost 50k miles, the Stelvio was fully sorted.  Doubly unfortunately, the man who bought it from me also had continual breakdowns and quality issues.  I helped him for a while but he sold it shortly afterward and I thankfully lost track of where it is.

My experience with the Stelvio and also my prior experience with an '02 V11 Scura seriously impaired my assessment of the brand's quality.  For those individuals who have logged large numbers of miles on any Guzzi, I consider you lucky and my hat is off to you.  Like I said, they're wonderful when they are running.  And, I recently acquired a late model Griso for short day trips not requiring large leaps of faith from me that I will avoid breakdowns on the distant road.   

I hope Guzzi has their act together for this new series of bikes they've introduced.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:36:54 AM by leafman60 »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here