Author Topic: Submersible Fuel Pump Discovery--Cali Model  (Read 891 times)

Wry

Submersible Fuel Pump Discovery--Cali Model
« on: July 07, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »
I'm told by People who know (MPH and others; thanks!) that it's very rare for a Cali submersible fuel pump to need replacement if it makes the characteristic whirring noise when the bike is turned on (kill switch, etc.) and the tank has ample gas.  My bike proves to be a counterexample.  My problem was not the internal hoses, clamps, fuel filter, or even the Cam Sensor.  Rather, it was the fuel pump--even tho the old pump whirred and whooshed like it was supposed to.  After controlling for everything else, I swapped out the pump with a 100 buck replacement from Harper's and the bike fired right up.

Note that it is NOT necessary to spend $850 to replace the whole fuel pump assembly with base and spigot.  (Many people are mistaken about this.). Rather, you can buy a generic pump by itself (it's Not Bosch, but Chinese made) from Harper's for 100 bucks.  It has a lifetime warranty.  And it works.

Email me if you have questions. 

--Yonder

Wry

Re: Submersible Fuel Pump Discovery--Cali Model
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »
I should probably add that I have a 2008 California Vintage.  My understanding is that many California models have an interchangeable submersible fuel pump.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here