Author Topic: NGC - Electric Power Steering (EPS)  (Read 1972 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - Electric Power Steering (EPS)
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
I guess ignorance is bliss.  I wasn't aware until leasing my 2018 Mazda6 that the traditional belt-driven power steering pump had been replaced on many car models with a purely electric one.  I think my sales guy described the Mazda unit as a hydraulic pump driven by an electric motor, which isn't (to the best of my knowledge) what it is.  I believe mine is purely electrically driven, with no hydraulic pump being used.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or simply adds another level of complexity to something (power steering) which had worked well since shortly after WW2 (1951 Chrysler.)  The fact that it can be re-programmed to modify steering 'feel' is a good thing, but Mazda Tech Support (on phone) said they had no upgraded 'maps' for the steering.  My 2018 Mazda's steering feels very vague to me.

Here's the link to a good, relatively short article about Electric Power Steering.

Bob

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/diagnosing-electrical-power-steering-eps-issues/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:59:22 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

twowings

Re: NGC - Electric Power Steering (EPS)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »
It would be hard to imagine that any suspension components are already worn to the point of affecting the steering, but anything is possible...any hard impacts to the front wheels lately?

Sometimes the tread pattern and air pressure in the tires can make a big difference...have you visited any Mazda Forums for your particular vehicle?  May be some useful feedback there....

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
Mazda has used the system for a vary long time. Early 2000's they started. Really other then a recall on the first gen Mazda3 because of rusted lines, there has been pretty much zero issues. I have never heard of any softwhere upgrades for these at all..  there is programing invalved though, so thats something to keep in mind if you ever need a new pump.  As far as what it is... in simple terms... ya its a motor running a pump..  some system are full electric, but I dont believe mazda has gone there yet..  I left last year after 25 years of working for a mazda dealer, and didnt have too many issue with your era car then, so im not sure 100% what setup yours uses.
Paul B

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
It would be hard to imagine that any suspension components are already worn to the point of affecting the steering, but anything is possible...any hard impacts to the front wheels lately?

Sometimes the tread pattern and air pressure in the tires can make a big difference...have you visited any Mazda Forums for your particular vehicle?  May be some useful feedback there....

That would be my thought also... As a rule Mazda is never vague in their driver inputs... the whole "ZOOM ZOOM" thing....   Ive driven that era car also, and it seemed pretty responsive for a mid size std.. 
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:27:49 AM »
If it is any consolation, I have an '04 Mazda3 with around 90K miles and electric power steering assist and it has given me no issues.  I kind of felt the way you do about it when I bought it new back then, and what I've got may be a completely different system than what is used today.  Theory was that it reduces parasitic power loss from the belt-driven unit, which also benefits fuel economy.  Darn near everybody is doing it these days.  With the 5-speed, I've always enjoyed driving this little car and think it handles better than most people are capable of enjoying.  The 6 may be my next car, although I will miss the manual. :sad:   
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
Mazda has used the system for a vary long time. Early 2000's they started. Really other then a recall on the first gen Mazda3 because of rusted lines, there has been pretty much zero issues. I have never heard of any softwhere upgrades for these at all..  there is programing invalved though, so thats something to keep in mind if you ever need a new pump.  As far as what it is... in simple terms... ya its a motor running a pump..  some system are full electric, but I dont believe mazda has gone there yet..  I left last year after 25 years of working for a mazda dealer, and didnt have too many issue with your era car then, so im not sure 100% what setup yours uses.

Looks like if Mazda forum responses are correct, that my car has EPS (electric power steering) with no hydraulic pump.
Hi Xxxxxxx. 2014 - 2017 Mazda6 has electric steering, not hydraulic, so no fluid needed....! Does seem kind of strange, I remember looking for the power steering fluid container myself once and then it hit me....! lol
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
I’m on my third car with electric steering.  Mazda 3,  and two Chevy Eqinox, I have had no issues with any of them.  Technically you save gas and don,t eat any horsepower.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »
My 2013 F150 has electric power steering and it feels just fine. No complaints......exc ept when I went to change the oil. They put a skid plate on the bottom of the truck to protect the steering components that are on the below the frame. Real PIA. So much so that I decided to let the dealer do it after my first try.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
A lot of new vehicles have under carriage trays.  I figured it had more to do with minimizing parasitic aero drag?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
When I worked in Michigan we made 90% of all the pump bodies for power steering components in cars and trucks. It's called E/H (e over h) and were were making pumps for that application in 90s.

Recently bought a used 2011 Buick Enclave and the steering was bad. Off center. Alignment didn't help. Turns out it was the rear control arms.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
A lot of new vehicles have under carriage trays.  I figured it had more to do with minimizing parasitic aero drag?

Most are for NVH issues. the days where you hear, and feel the engines are gone.
Paul B

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
My son has his own power steer business.

They have gone basically from hydraulic assistance via a ram on to one of the control arms (early American) to  hydraulic  rack, to motor in the rack (Subaru) through to the motor on the steering column.

A feel of vagueness could be simply that the toe isn't set right.  Usually, if a sensor isn't set right the car would be pulling one way.,

Some cars (mainly Honda) used a grease that made the bushes expand in the rack, which made the self centering go awol, and made the steering feel imprecise because of the pressure on the rack shaft.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here