Author Topic: v85 tt mods  (Read 29730 times)

Offline beardog

• Gosling
v85 tt mods
« on: November 01, 2019, 04:58:52 AM »
 Hello
  Has anyone removed the cat. converter on one of these?  Put on a new y pipe and if so how did it go? Did you have to do anything else to the bike? Thanks
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
Re: v85 tt mods
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
I put one on as soon as they came out.  I noticed it was a very tight fit as to length of overlap and the first time I had a small exhaust leak.  The second time I put the front sections on by using a ratchet strap pulling the two together, then the same for the muffler section to the Y.  This made a much better fit and no leaks.  Don't expect a huge power increase, but it does run much cooler, which is what I was after.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 11:18:04 AM »
I put one on as soon as they came out.  I noticed it was a very tight fit as to length of overlap and the first time I had a small exhaust leak.  The second time I put the front sections on by using a ratchet strap pulling the two together, then the same for the muffler section to the Y.  This made a much better fit and no leaks.  Don't expect a huge power increase, but it does run much cooler, which is what I was after.

Which one did you buy?   Seriously considering one to eliminate some heat and weight.   Did it affect the fueling?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
I got the Agostini.  The heat reduction was noticeable but power increase and fueling difference was not.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
I put the Mistral crossover pipe and carbon muffler on my V85, I didn't have an issue with fitment it slid right into place.  I am getting a little bit of popping on decel right now but it isn't bad and since I added heated grips at the same time (which it turns out results in replacing the demand sensor according to Pete) and didn't do the required PADS update it cannot be narrowed down to which might be causing the popping.  I do think the heat from the cat is gone now and the bike gets the same gas mileage as before and runs really well.

Other additions/changes
Double take mirrors (had them on the Stelvio so moved them over, nothing wrong with stock ones but these are more flexible and I already had them)
MRA X-screen on the windshield
MG crash bars.
MG fog lamps
Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag
FZ-1 fuse block powering heated vest lead and GPS
Centerstand

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
The Augostini y-pipe also causes a mild decel-pop.

As for other mods;

Heated grips
Heated seat
Aux LED lights and custom brackets.
Black powder coating for rear frame section, headlight support, and pannier racks.
Tubeless rim conversion with 90* valves.
Heideneau front tire Mitas Dakar rear.
Front fender mudflap.
Moto Mosko tank bag or Eclipse small bag for around town.
Harmonic dampners for bar ends.
KTM turn signals.
KTM sumo mirrors
Renthal bars.
Custom handlebar upright supports.
Voltmeter/dual USB charging.
Centec 5 circuit fuse block under seat.
Earth-x LiIon battery.
Hyper Lytes
Shortened license plate/reflector carrier.
Touring windscreen.
Custom bracket for Garmin 660 GPS.
Plastic film on wear areas.
Shorten spigot for fuel cap.
Cut glove box plastic for custom tool kit.
Change fork oil from 15wt to 7.5wt.
Ohlins rear shock with preload adjuster thinned to give 1/4 "more adjustment.
Turatech stainless, lower footpegs.
Welded wider foot plate for side stand.
KTM Baja ADV larger hand guards.
OEM crash bars.
Battery tender lead.
and the  V85TT  PA tag !!!

2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
RE: Harmonic vibration dampers - what mfr. & source?  Noticeable difference?

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
I posted these before in my dello pics but don’t think anyone sussed em
Thought it would be mental loud, but no, barely louder than std, owner well happy, clearance for bags and no loss.
The cat is the silencer

picture hosting

Cat still heavy of course but concept I get, how he rides and truth of no loss, nfi

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
The harmonic balancers I designed and built.  I can't sell them because the active material is mercury.  They do work very well.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline beardog

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 03:09:15 AM »
 Thanks to all of you folks this forum is great.
ride whenever you can
2003 stone� 
2008 1200 sport
2012 Yamaha super tenere
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
2020 v85 tt
2005 Yamaha fjr
2017 Motus mst
2008 ktm super duke

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 07:10:46 AM »
I posted these before in my dello pics but don’t think anyone sussed em
Thought it would be mental loud, but no, barely louder than std, owner well happy, clearance for bags and no loss.
The cat is the silencer

picture hosting

Cat still heavy of course but concept I get, how he rides and truth of no loss, nfi

So leave the cat heat monstrosity and remove the muffler??  Can’t be healthy.

Guzzi riders definitely beat their own drum.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
So leave the cat heat monstrosity and remove the muffler??  Can’t be healthy.

Guzzi riders definitely beat their own drum.

Could save weight by removing the passenger foot pegs, I don't think it would be too comfortable for them with that exhaust positioned as it is.  And the rider might get even more heat as well but as you say to each their own.

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »
Trialsman,
Thanks for the follow up and I can well understand why you keep it to yourself --- don't want any more "mad hatters" out there!

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
I've had very poor experience with the 90* valve stems. I  had my tire guys ( family owned hd shop. have used them for years), put tires and the stems on powder coated cast V7 III wheels. Trying to stop the leaks (both valve stems included re-finishing internal & external stem threads. 

I first tried chasing the male threads and adding O ringed caps; used for Nitrogen. The anodized base material seems nearly as soft as lead. I hope yours are from a different manufacturer.   R3~ 

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
I intend on doing the Y-pipe and Slip-on,

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_95&products_id=5408

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_105&products_id=5387

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned this little gem yet,

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_105&products_id=5400

Before I do any of this though I plan on installing heated grips. Based upon some discussion here I guess I have to have the local shop do it because the new grips have to be calibrated?

Don't know. I guess I will dig into that a bit more.

Just my two cents.

Skippy

23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

pete roper

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
That 'Little Gem' is an air temperature sensor fooler. The ECU will trim around it in minutes. As useful as a parachute in a submarine.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:37:45 PM »
   ^ Love that analogy  :grin: , Peter

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 05:39:56 AM »
Someone a while back was interested in moving the top box forward on their V85, I am also.
Here’s some shots of the work so far. The box is forward by about 150 mm.
I achieved this by removing the top mounting plate from the supporting trusses underneath and moving said plate forward by the 150 mm.
The sloped sections of the trusses forward of the tube that holds the front “c” section of the top box mounts were removed.
They are superfluous.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:17:14 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 03:13:06 AM »
Well it’s done..
I modified the mounting plate like this..

As mentioned, it involved removing the trusses from the plate and TIG welded them back on  150 mm rearward.
This is the finished arrangement.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 03:23:56 AM »
Clever fella!
Severus bastardis

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:32:43 AM »
Huzo:  That's a better look.  I was the one that mentioned how far back the rear box was.  Thanks for the pics.  I need to study more to see exactly what you did, but to me it is visually more appealing and also moves weight forward which is a plus.  Thanks.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
Huzo:  That's a better look.  I was the one that mentioned how far back the rear box was.  Thanks for the pics.  I need to study more to see exactly what you did, but to me it is visually more appealing and also moves weight forward which is a plus.  Thanks.
Everything forward of the round tube where the front mount of the top box hooks around, is sliced off.
You then undo the welds that connect the  plate to the trusses and clean up the pieces.
You’ve to cut off the now redundant pieces of the trusses that stick out the rear to the tune of 150 mm.
Also you’ll have seen that the 4 mm round beading has been re attached to the newly shaped top plate.
I’m a big fan of relocating the centre of mass of the top box, over the centre of plate so there is no pitching moment.
Also here’s a shot of the carnage..

This is what it looks like with the cleaned up trusses re attached.
You’ll notice that there is now an unsupported section from the front of the truss, to the front tube.
It looks like this..

This would have been prone to bending and could have suffered fatigue related failure ultimately...
So, I fabricated two gussets to tie the front tube to the truss each side at the point of the front mounting bolt...
So now it looks like this..

I’ve done a bit more tarting up of the whole shooting match, but it’s as solid as a brick shithouse and should see me out..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:10:31 AM by Huzo »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 07:11:24 AM »
Huzo.  Moving that forward about 6" is perfect.  If you lived close by I would be throwing money at you to make the fabrication changes to mine.  Barring that, with your excellent photos and description, I will find somebody local. Hmmmm........ Trialsman, how are you with a welder? 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
Huzo.  Moving that forward about 6" is perfect.  If you lived close by I would be throwing money at you to make the fabrication changes to mine.  Barring that, with your excellent photos and description, I will find somebody local. Hmmmm........ Trialsman, how are you with a welder?
Well there’d have been no money involved mate..
It’s just the way we roll here in Oz.
It’s 7.30 Sunday morning here, as soon as I get up and take a pee, I’m starting on the GPS mount.
Oh, I forgot...I’ll walk the puppies first, it keeps Ann happy.. :wink: :kiss:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:38:51 PM by Huzo »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
If I would attempt it, it would involve zip ties and Gorilla Glue, maybe some solder if I was really on my game.  If I was close by, I would offer to do the lawn or split firewood.  Regarding metal fabrication, the only skill I possess would be in creating laughter for friends sitting around watching.  I am excellent however at keeping things clean and organized.   :thumb:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
If I would attempt it, it would involve zip ties and Gorilla Glue, maybe some solder if I was really on my game.  If I was close by, I would offer to do the lawn or split firewood.  Regarding metal fabrication, the only skill I possess would be in creating laughter for friends sitting around watching.  I am excellent however at keeping things clean and organized.   :thumb:
What would happen mate, is that I’d do the stuff for you that was too much and walk you through the nuts and bolts stuff..
It’s a lot of fun and is a big part of building the bond. There’d be no laughing or derisive put downs, I could not imagine being able to reassemble a 1400 Griso motor for Pete and as for Beetle’s caper..
That really is in another universe..
Do what you’re good at and have fun playing at the fringes of you knowlege. Were I you, I would find someone with the skills and hang with them for a day or so and do it together.
There’d be something you could help out with..
How good looking are you...? :wink: :kiss: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:09:39 AM by Huzo »

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
In all honesty, I am not a total noob in the garage.  Been involved in motorsports on and off for 45 years:  raced FV, FF, IMSA Camel Light, 125 shifter karts & motorcycles.  I have spent a lot of time with greasey hands and a grin on my face.  Just not a fabricator.  I have a tough time visualizing and then executing. I defer to people who have that talent.  Keeps my sanity and is safer for anybody in the immediate area from being impaled by a flying tool.

If I "put my face on" and viewed from 10 feet away at dusk, maybe about an 8.0.  I have dropped 17 pounds over the last four months, so I got that going for me

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »
In all honesty, I am not a total noob in the garage.  Been involved in motorsports on and off for 45 years:  raced FV, FF, IMSA Camel Light, 125 shifter karts & motorcycles.  I have spent a lot of time with greasey hands and a grin on my face.  Just not a fabricator.  I have a tough time visualizing and then executing. I defer to people who have that talent.  Keeps my sanity and is safer for anybody in the immediate area from being impaled by a flying tool.

If I "put my face on" and viewed from 10 feet away at dusk, maybe about an 8.0.  I have dropped 17 pounds over the last four months, so I got that going for me
:thumb:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 03:02:20 AM »
Well I started on the GPS mount.
I began here and located one of these.

For the record, it’s a V85.
Then I cut this out and the next step is to pretty it up.

It will mount to the handlebar clamp at the requisite angle to be square to the line of sight. To get the angle will involve some chicanery, but I’ll post as I go.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:48:03 PM by Huzo »

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
Huzo, I was initially going to put my GPS in that location and I ran into a wrinkle.  With the blended bifocal glasses that I wear, it was out of focus in that position.  I ended up putting up higher (Dakar style).  I just didn't want you going through a lot of unnecessary work.  Check if you will be able to focus on the screen in that location.  If you can't I will be glad to snap some pictures of a possible higher mount.  I still love that red color, by the way!
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2024 Stelvio V100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here